Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Read interesting books
    Finally A Rising Thunder earc is here from Baen Webscriptions and of course I bought it and will start it asap; will be the first 2012 release that I will read as I did not get to the few I have so far

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    I've read upto the end of book three, and I can kind of see where that came from, but I would agree that it isn't. It's more like space opera with a few military themes.
    Good assessment! I really enjoy this series; so what if it doesn't include non-stop space battles. I like all the subplots and particularly the characters and the things that drive them (revenge, trade, technology, politics, power). I feel that Moon does a pretty good job mixing the action and the storylines while keeping the reader interested. I certainly haven't found it boring.

Read interesting books
    Stayed way, way too late to read A Rising Thunder despite that I wanted only to read a little and leave it for tonight; simply could not put it down..

I thought that while as known it is a first half of a bigger book (there was a split as the original ART became way too big, but the good news is that the unnamed yet second part is in final editing and it will be available in late 2012, early 2013) and it shows a little, ART was considerably better than Mission of Honor which was way too predictable and more of "dot the i's and cross the t's novel" than anything else.

I loved all the little interludes
    Spoiler:
    (Dettweiler, Andermanni, Maya, the Solarian concerned officers, the Alignment agents)
    and they interspersed well with the main political and military developments; there is a special "phone" call with an interesting aftermath and that was perfectly done too

All in all a great installment that starts for good the new Honorverse direction with a bang and left me wanting more asap, while confirming the status of the series as my #1 ongoing sff...

Finished up Penumbra by Eric Brown last night. If you've read any brown you'll know what I mean when I say it's a typical novel from him. Good characters, a mystery on a planet, aliens. It's all there, but it's not his best.

Now started Prophets by S Andrew Swann. First few chapters are good and it's very readable. Looking forward to see where it goes, heard good things about the trilogy.

Started Lost Fleet: Dauntless by Jack Campbell. Not far into it, but the tension starts off fairly strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Started Lost Fleet: Dauntless by Jack Campbell. Not far into it, but the tension starts off fairly strong.
    They're fairly quick reads. I got through the first three in two days each. I've got the fourth but I haven't got around to it yet.

Blog Entries
    I just finished The Temporal Void by Peter Hamilton. While I liked this middle book of the Void trilogy I found it harder going than the excellent opening novel The Dreaming Void. Without giving too much away, I found the "Dream" sequences a little too long and eventually tedious compared to what was going on outside the Void. I kept restraining myself from jumping ahead to find out what happened on some of the more interesting plot threads. I thought that the initial book had a better balance of the two storylines. I still thought it was a good read and will continue on to the concluding volume but the last 80 pages seemed to take forever to slog through. I don't know, maybe I'm being a bit too picky.
    Anyway, now I can start the concluding book of the Vatta's War series [B]Victory Conditions[B]! I can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    They're fairly quick reads. I got through the first three in two days each. I've got the fourth but I haven't got around to it yet.
    I came across the first instance of "Geary let out a breath he didn't know he was holding" on page 167 of the ACE/US mass market edition. I'd been paying special attention for that.

This book is fun, I can understand why the series has been successful for ACE and for Campbell.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I came across the first instance of "Geary let out a breath he didn't know he was holding" on page 167 of the ACE/US mass market edition. I'd been paying special attention for that.
    One down, many more to go

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    finished Leviathan Wakes - very fast read combining strong characters with some spectacular action sequences. I think the hype on this one was justified.

Quote Originally Posted by DDCOrange View Post
    I just finished The Temporal Void by Peter Hamilton. While I liked this middle book of the Void trilogy I found it harder going than the excellent opening novel The Dreaming Void. Without giving too much away, I found the "Dream" sequences a little too long and eventually tedious compared to what was going on outside the Void. I kept restraining myself from jumping ahead to find out what happened on some of the more interesting plot threads. I thought that the initial book had a better balance of the two storylines. I still thought it was a good read and will continue on to the concluding volume but the last 80 pages seemed to take forever to slog through. I don't know, maybe I'm being a bit too picky.
    Anyway, now I can start the concluding book of the Vatta's War series [B]Victory Conditions[B]! I can't wait!
    I think you'll find the third book, The Evolutionary Void, more to your liking. It's still got the Void sequences, but much less so than either Temporal or Dreaming, and the action on the outside really does make the lack of progress in Temporal worth the wait.

Sorry for double posting...

Finished In Enemy Hands by David Weber yesterday, the 7th Honor Harrington novel. I quite enjoyed this one, nice that it was different than what came before and finished in such a way that makes for some very interesting issues to take forward. I've already started the 8th book, Echoes of Honor, though strangely I'm on chapter 7 and still no Honor...

read Children of the Sky this weekend. I think it's ok. Not nearly enough lasers in space for my tastes. It gets some poor reviews on amazon for being book 2 of 3.. I hope there's a book 3. If he's hammered these out in decent time I think the second book would have been sharper, and people less critical.

Finished Manhattan in Reverse and thought it was a good collection of stories but not up to the level that those of A Second Chance at Eden were.

Also finished one of Christopher Priest's earlier novels, A Dream of Wessex (or my version called A Perfect Lover). This was a very good read and as is his trademark, the line between reality and dream/virtual reality becomes blurred within the story.

On a side note, the cover (whilst depicting a part of the story) is one of the worst I've seen for a while. I'm also unsure why the book's name was changed to "A Perfect Lover" for American audiences (and in any case it's a pretty bad name for a sci-fi story!)

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm also unsure why the book's name was changed to "A Perfect Lover"
    Perhaps it's because US readers wouldn't get the Wessex title reference?

Currently reading Eric Brown's The Kings of Eternity, which has more than a touch of the Christopher Priest about it...

Mark
    Mark