Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Alternatives to the Dresden Files?

So I love the Dresden files, but after reading 11 books, it's really started to wear down on me. I want something in a similar vein that is almost if not just as good (or better). I'll let you decide what you consider 'similar' as I'm not too fussy. But I'd really love some suggestions. Thanks!

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Benedict Jacka (Alex Verus) and Kevin Hearne (Iron Druid Chronicles) seem to be well liked by Dresden fans.

Kate Griffin's Matthew Swift series too.

Think ML Hanover's series (Daniel Abraham by another name) is one of the better ones out there.

Chris F Holm's Dead Harvest I really liked.

Mark
    Mark

Uh, Moderator
    I quite liked Ben Aaronovitch's first two books.

oooo Iron Druid Chronicles sounds great!

Is there anything more 'adult', perhaps something really dark in this vein? Kind of like how Abercrombie or Glen Cook might seem in comparison to Tolkien, if you catch my drift. Or am I looking in the wrong place for that?

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Glen Cook actually has a private investigator fantasy series - Garrett P.I. - but it is set in an alternate world, not in a contemporary setting, similar to Vlad Taltos by Steven Brust. I prefer both Garrett and Taltos to Harry Dresden. Garrett is the moe humorous one, with a lot of wisecracks and wild similes that remind me of Chandler.

Tim Marquitz has an amazing series that's like a mix of Harry Dresden and the movie Constantine. The first book is Armageddon Bound and it's called the Demon Squad series. It is VERY adult and extremely hilarious.

I can second Hobbit's recommendation of MLN Hanover/Daniel Abraham's Black Sun's Daughter series starting with Unclean Spirits.

Also, I haven't read these, but I hear they're quite good - Midnight Riot (Rivers of London) by Ben Aaronovitch.

I would say talk to Bastard (of the forums) because he really knows his Urban Fantasy. He's read more than anyone I know.

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post
    oooo Iron Druid Chronicles sounds great!

Is there anything more 'adult', perhaps something really dark in this vein? Kind of like how Abercrombie or Glen Cook might seem in comparison to Tolkien, if you catch my drift. Or am I looking in the wrong place for that?
    For dark, you can't ask for better than Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt books. Great stuff, IF you can handle grimdark.

Somewhat less dark, Mike Carey's Felix Castor books.

Dark plus wild and crazy, Kadrey's Sandman Slim books.

Dark plus emo, Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros books.

These are all at or near the top of my UF favorites list. In literary terms, IMO Charlie Huston's are the best. In personal attachmant terms, either Huston or Thurman.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Benedict Jacka (Alex Verus) and Kevin Hearne (Iron Druid Chronicles) seem to be well liked by Dresden fans.
    Both of those disappointed me- Kevin Hearne because not only is it way too mindless, but the actual main character gets less and less tolerable as you get to know him, and Benedict Jacka because the second book had a immense competence nerf of the main character to create artificial tension.

Blog Entries
    Both of those disappointed me
    Didn't say all fans, Arkeus!

Myself, I wasn't that impressed with Verus, but there are some who like it, which is why I suggested him.

I liked the first Kevin Hearne; Rob (who's also a Dresden fan) has reviewed them all so far for SFFWorld and really likes them. In fact, he's quoted on the front cover of the UK editions, which was a lovely surprise for me, when I saw it.

Charlie Huston's is very good, but too dark for my tastes. Agree with the Felix Castor, though: in fact that reminds me I really must go and read more of that series.

Kadrey's Sandman Slim first three books are only just about to be released here in the UK. I'm looking forward to trying them.

Mark
    Mark

Too many books to read... Siberian's Avatar
    Ilona Andrews's Magic is the only other UF series I managed to read through.

The Nightside

Simon Green's "Nightside" series, set in an imagined magical enclave in contemporary London, is good stuff. Deliberately over-the-top noir PI with heavy-duty magic all round. I find it highly entertaining (and superior to Butcher). The linked Wikipedia article gives a decent overview of the series (which is now complete, at a dozen novels.)

Awesome.

the Joe Pitt, Iron Druid Chronicles and Demon Squad series sound the most appealing to me at the moment. I'll try the first book of each of those and see how I go. Thanks a lot!

I found a couple new books. Wizards, Vampires, and all kinds of other great stuff. I'm not saying they are literary genius, but I thought they were fun and I'm happy to read what the author does next.

Zero Sight
    http://www.amazon.com/Zero-Sight-Ser...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

Zero Sum
    http://www.amazon.com/Zero-Sight-Ser...=AG56TWVU5XWC2

On a related note, do a lot of these books owe their success to the Dresden Files popularity, or was this sort of urban fantasy doing quite all right before then?

Blog Entries
    It was OK, but not as popular.

Laurell K. Hamilton, her of the Anita Blake, really made it popular (at least for the first 8 or so books) in 1993. Jim's Dresden started with Fool Moon in 2000. It always has been around, but in this latest re-emergence I'd date it to there: detectives, magic/occult.

Now it's easily one of the most popular. Most of those names mentioned above are post-Dresden.

Mark
    Mark