Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar

Norse myth in Fantasy

I'm looking for some good Fantasy/fiction books that use elements of Norse myths, the pantheon, perhaps the heroes. Does anyone know any recommendations?

Fanboy Extraordinaire! Warewolf's Avatar
    Mickey Zucker Reichert's Last of the Renshai trilogy had a significant amount of Norse mythology in it. The gods were characters, but not main characters. Kinda behind the scenes stuff.

Maybe try picking up a trade paperback of Marvel's Thor ongoing series. Currently, Odin was killed fighting Surtur, Thor became ruler and brought Asgard to Earth. Intriguing stuff...well written by Dan Jurgens.

Rhinegold by Stephan Grundy was pretty good. It's basically a retelling of the Germanic/Norse/Wagner myths.

Fred Saberhagen's current series is about various gods. I think the first ones deal with the Greek ones and the later ones deal with the Norse gods. I haven't read any of them so I can't comment.

There's also Douglas Adam's Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul.

Warewolf

I'm familiar with the Renshai series, I've read very mixed reviews about it but put it on the to-read list a while ago anyway. One other that I recall, apart from American Gods by Gaiman, is The Winter of the World trilogy by Michael Scott Rohan, which is said to feature Odin.

What I'm basically looking for are books that portray Odin and Thor (and others) as they in the Norse myths and their retellings, Odin for instance as the Gandalfesque character.

Ez,

Yes, there's Grundy but sadly both his books are woefully out of print. Of the five Saberhagen books only the last one deals with the Norse Gods, but it might be good:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...61767?v=glance

Did you ever recall who wrote that Norse book/series that you once read? The author with the difficult name?

Fanboy Extraordinaire! Warewolf's Avatar
    Originally posted by Mithfânion
    I'm familiar with the Renshai series, I've read very mixed reviews about it but put it on the to-read list a while ago anyway.
    It was so so. Not great, but not terrible, either. It's got some interesting concepts and characters so, if you're the least bit interested, it's worth the read. I had no great desire to read the sequel trilogy, btw.

One other that I recall, apart from American Gods by Gaiman, is The Winter of the World trilogy by Michael Scott Rohan, which is said to feature Odin.
    I actually managed to pick this trilogy up on eBay. Haven't gotten around to reading it, though, so can't really comment...

Yes, there's Grundy but sadly both his books are woefully out of print.
    You might try picking them up on Half.com. I seem to remember running across Rhinegold for pretty cheap there at one time.

Did you ever recall who wrote that Norse book/series that you once read? The author with the difficult name?
    Ha! Thanks for remembering that. You know, I did eventually find out (by mistake I think) the author's name and his series, but it faded back out of memory.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well even though you will never read it.

The Wheel of Time has quite a bit of Norse Mythology in it. He changed the names though.

If you want to know what, check the link.

http://hem3.passagen.se/kjnoren/jordan/norse.html

The link contains spoilers but that should not worry you.

Ez, you really need to start writing things down man!

Cal, that's a nice link. I've read only a part of it sofar but it's very interesting. A shame really that I can't get into Jordan's style, because there are one or two other elements of his books that I find triguing (the concept of Rand, Aiel). I've strongly disliked each and every female character in Eye of the World and New Spring though, which is just an unsurpassable barrier.

Edit, I think I found another one:

Ring of the Dark Elves by V. Randall.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...248080-3461767

Last edited by Mithfânion; October 10th, 2003 at 08:01 AM.

Whenever I see a streetlight flicker and go out, I think of Douglas Adams' "Thor".

(another vote for Long Dark Teatime of the Soul.)

Reed-Sternberg Cell DrBloodmoney1's Avatar
    Jude Fisher's trilogy Fool's Gold has a lot of norse culture and mythology. Visit her website .

DrB

Harry Harrison's Hammer and the Cross series utilises a whole bunch of Nordic mythology. Most of the stuff involving the gods and so on is in the background but its there.

hiya.. Norse mythology is right up my ally=) Me beeing from iceland and all (I live in sweden atm though)... I'd like to suggest an old book, it's called "The ring-givers" if I remember correctly.

This book is really great, it features many heroes (and gods) of the old icelandic folk tales. It is mainly about the great Beowulf but if you now your mythology u will recogninse lot's of characters in this book.
    If u can't find this particular version of Beowulf I can strongly recommend Seamus Heaney's interpretation of the poem. You can find that one on amazon.com.

If u want books about vikings you should try:

"The saga of njal" (this book is about 1000 years old and great, Njal is like the Norse Homer).

"Back to the longships" The famed swedish author Frans G Bengtsson wrote a worldwide bestseller in the 1940s. Read this book if you haven't read it already!!!

I have a ton of books that I could recommend to you=) But try these first as they cover most of the nordic gods and great characters! If u have any detailed questions about norse mythology don't hesitate to ask.

But if you are really into nordic mythology (like I am=) you should read texts and books by the following skalds:
    Egil Skallgrimsson
    Snorri Sturlasson

P.S. My favourite icelandic story atm is "the saga of Rolf Krake". This story is so captivating and features all the elements of Norse mythology. This story has many interesting characters but the coolest are Rolf's bodyguards, 12 norse berserkers led by the strongest berserker of them all..... Bjarke!!!!

"I once thought I was wrong, but I was misstaken"

Sorry for spamming but I have to add one more thing. You said you were looking for books with norse elements in them. I'm not trying to be a drag or anything but almost all fantasy contain various bits of norse mythology.
    Good example's are J.R.R Tolkien's books.
    A couple of more modern example's are David Gemmell, Reichart, Gerorge R.R Martin and many more....

"I once thought I was wrong, but I was misstaken"

I just remembered one more book. Eaters of the Dead by Michael Crichton. It's about a guy from the Middle East on a diplomatic mission to Eastern Europe in the 10th Century. The diplomat meets up with some Vikings, who bring him all the way back to Scandinavia with them. The Vikings are having some problems with some strange savages that keep attacking their villages.
    It wasn't a bad story from what I remember of it. Pretty short. A movie called The 13th Warrior was based on it.

Ez, yes, I know about that one, I thought the film was pretty good as well.

Alex:

I'd like to suggest an old book, it's called "The ring-givers" if I remember correctly.

I couldn't find this one, Has it been translated into English? Any idea on who the author is?

Saga of the Long ships is on my list as well, but I though that was solely a book about Vikings and not about Norse gods. Was I wrong?

Njals (and Egil's) saga are also books I'm interested in reading.

Snorri Sturlasson

Does that feature the Norse pantheon as well? I thought the Heimskringla was a chronicle of the Norse kings?