Hybrid View

Riyria Revelations Author sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Theft of Swords now shipping

I've now had several confirmed reports that the US versions of Theft of Swords are indeed shipping from sites like Amazon and B&N. In addition the pages have moved from "preorder" to "put in cart" status so they have stock.

Ebooks are still in preorder stage - and I suspect they will be until the official launch date. My guess is that warehouses got the books early and so started shipping before official date.
    Last edited by sullivan_riyria; November 15th, 2011 at 12:14 PM.

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Here's a slightly related question.

On US Amazon the Crown Conspiracy has 175 ratings - and on UK Amazon 6. That implies it hasn't been distributed in UK shops. How come such a successful book hasn't been distributed well &/or sold well in the UK? Tastes are pretty similar both sides of the ocean... what's up?

... or has it sold well in the UK and that just hasn't been reflected on Amazon for some reason?

Riyria Revelations Author sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    Here's a slightly related question.

On US Amazon the Crown Conspiracy has 175 ratings - and on UK Amazon 6. That implies it hasn't been distributed in UK shops. How come such a successful book hasn't been distributed well &/or sold well in the UK? Tastes are pretty similar both sides of the ocean... what's up?

... or has it sold well in the UK and that just hasn't been reflected on Amazon for some reason?
    I'm not sure I know the whole answer but here are some factors that might help to explain.

I've sold right around 70,000 copies of the self-published versions of the series most of them were ebooks which are very popular in the US and I think the UK adoption is lagging behind by a few years. Now they're out of print (replaced with Orbit versions) so no "new" readers of the ebook will show up in Uk or US.

Marketing efforts were concentrated mainly in the US.

while not in many stores in the US we were in a few but I would venture to say not a single UK store had any of the POD books on their shelves.

I could go back and look at the sales figures for US vs UK for but it's going to be very small overall.