The Hunger Games (Movie)

Yup, finally got some casting details for what could be a good adaptation.

This article has pictures of the three announced cast members, i.e. Katniss, Peeta and Gale.

Anyone else think they look nothing like the characters they're supposed to be?

Update: We've got the first picture of the girl playing Katniss. Here it is.

It hasn't done anything to remove my fears at all. Katniss' age is fairly important in the series, simply because she's so mature for someone so young. She's a child, that's the point. Casting a woman in the role (Rather than a younger girl) isn't going to help get that message across.

More photos of the film.

I'm still very unsure about it, if I'm honest. If you go to the Entertainment Weekly link and scroll through the images, there's a number of the other tributes shown (Not in make up, though, it just tells you who's playing who) and they're mostly - as far as I know - unknown actors/actresses.

Now we wait for some footage.

Blog Entries
    The actress playing Katniss, Jennifer Lawrence, played a seventeen-year-old in last year's Winter's Bone. She was so convincing that even as a relative unknown, she bagged an Academy Award nomination for best actress. If you haven't yet seen it check out Winter's Bone and don't rely on stupid publicity photos. There are similarities in that story and Hunger Games (i.e. an older sister, basically doing everything she can to hold her family together. Willing to make any sacrifice to spare her younger siblings. Also the story is set in rural Missouri). Both my younger daughter and I are great fans of the Hunger Games novels and we agree that if Lawrence can handle the action scenes, she would make an outstanding Katniss.
    At least they didn't recruit that God-Awful Kristen Stewert, the most over-rated actress on the planet!

I haven't read the books, but the premis sounds interesting. I will porbably go to the film.

I came across this fan made film based on the book. I thought it was very well done.

http://io9.com/5829161/hunger-games-...ive-you-chills

jim

Deana Zhollis
    Is the book really similar to Battle Royale (2000)? That's what I've heard. I haven't read the book yet, just the first chapter sample. I'm going to try to make time to read the entire thing since it's been so popular online.

Yes and no. It's like a mix between Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four/Zamyatin's We and Battle Royale, but it's not really similar. The motives for the event are different, and it's of a smaller number of people but I think a larger arena. You'll have to read it to find out, and it shouldn't take you too long.

Quote Originally Posted by DDCOrange View Post
    At least they didn't recruit that God-Awful Kristen Stewert, the most over-rated actress on the planet!
    Yeah, I think the continuous lip-chewing (and flat acting) kind of ruins it...

I have hopes for this movie...

(although I'm still looking forward to another dystopian type film: The Passage)

Quote Originally Posted by Jop View Post
    Yeah, I think the continuous lip-chewing (and flat acting) kind of ruins it...
    But she's soooo purty!

I'm really looking forward to Snow White and the Huntsman with her as Snow White. Kristen Stewart in armour makes a great desktop background

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    But she's soooo purty!

I'm really looking forward to Snow White and the Huntsman with her as Snow White. Kristen Stewart in armour makes a great desktop background
    Sure she does! Until she starts speaking and moving. Maybe she should take up modeling and leave this acting thing behind.

Well, I'll find a use for her if no-one else wants her.

Ahem.

Blog Entries
    Not a chance! This Twilight thing will keep her going for years. She's destined to be the new Jennifer Aniston of her generation!

Including two guest stars?

Blog Entries
    My daughter just showed me the latest Hunger Games trailer. It looks like it's going to be really good but trying not to get my expectations up too high; Hollywood can and does make a hash of literature more often than not. Still, it looks very promising. Can't wait until it opens next March!