Thread: Name that novel

Name that novel

Hello to everyone,

About 8 years ago i read a great sci fi novel that i cannot, for the life of me, remember the title of.

The novel plot went along the line of;
    The main character was given a mission to uncover a major plot to create havoc and chaos (possibly bomb related). The characters would travel to different planets by downloading their memory in to "blank" bodies of different race, gender etc. These bodies could be upgraded to higher levels of physical attributes in order to allow the user to run faster, see in the dark etc.
    Although i cannot remember one scene in particular, i know the main character had a government type official sending him orders and interacting with him every now and then. I am uncertain but i believe the main character is male, ex soldier with questionable morale values.

It would be great if anyone knows the novel as it came to me all of a sudden two weeks ago and i cannot forget it.

Thank you

Read interesting books
    sounds somewhat like Altered Carbon by RK Morgan

Hey Suciul, that is the book. Thank you so much, it was making me insane not being able to find it in the search engines or the local bookstore sci fi geek worker.

Thanks again

Read interesting books
    Happy to be of help!

What threw me off was the "different races" part. Altered Carbon has no aliens, plus those bodies the downloadees use are not taken over by them, but rather are artificial bodies provided them (they start at human baseline up to military caliber and above).

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennarin View Post
    What threw me off was the "different races" part. Altered Carbon has no aliens, plus those bodies the downloadees use are not taken over by them, but rather are artificial bodies provided them (they start at human baseline up to military caliber and above).
    Actually Kovacs takes over the body of the police officer who was "sent down" under trumped charges for nosing around, officer who was the lover of the main investigator involved in the case and that is of some importance both in the relationship between the two and in that with various others as that hard to forget arranged show fight shows