Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reading in December 2011

This is where, for the last time in 2011, you talk to us about your monthly SF Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.

Our Fantasy Book of the Month is Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. Discuss here.

Our SF Book of the Month is The Carpet Makers by Andreas Eschbach. Discuss here.

As this is the last 'Reading' thread of 2011, I'd like to thank you all for your continued involvement at SFFWorld and wish you all the compliments of season, whether you follow a religious belief or not.

At the end of the month we will be releasing our customary SFFWorld Review of the Year. More when it appears!
    Mark

I'll kick this off. I'm at about the halfway point (a little further) in Sandy Mitchell's first Ciaphas Cain novel, putting me at about just shy of being a quarter of the way through the omnibus it's in, Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium.

It's got funny moments, but it's generally a fairly easy and enjoyable military sci-fi read without much of a knowledge of 40k needed to grasp it, although it does help with the little nuances and distinction between factions/groups.

I'm reading The Islanders by Christopher Priest. At the halfway point, it's really intriguing, but I have a feeling that at the end I'm going to be left scratching my head about what it's all about. Though, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm reading The Islanders by Christopher Priest. At the halfway point, it's really intriguing, but I have a feeling that at the end I'm going to be left scratching my head about what it's all about.
    If it helps, Luke, that's how I often feel about Chris Priest's work. I sort've expect it these days...

Mark
    Mark

I started Seed by Rob Ziegler yesterday. Four or five chapters into it, I'm intrigued. Beautiful looking book, too.

Blog Entries
    Finished The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs. The second of his Barsoom series. I'm amazed at how well these books hold up against the test of time. And I just found out that next year they're releasing a movie based on the first book, which i read a few months ago. Looking forward to seeing the movie.

Also finished The Free Lunch by Spider Robinson. My first Spider Robinson book. It was amazingly good. One of the best i've read all year.

Just finishing up The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin. I first read this in 2005 (snowed up in a ski chalet in Andora!) The second time round I have to say it is even better. Possibly my favourite SF book of all

I’m finishing up The Killing of Worlds by Scott Westerfeld and Field of Dishonor by David Weber.

Then, finally, I'm going to pick up and finish the Void Trilogy by Peter Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropie View Post
    Just finishing up The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guin. I first read this in 2005 (snowed up in a ski chalet in Andora!) The second time round I have to say it is even better. Possibly my favourite SF book of all
    Can the books in the Hainish Cycle be read as standalones? (I.e Just Left Hand or Darkness or The Dispossessed - Award winners)

Quote Originally Posted by krisbslick View Post
    Can the books in the Hainish Cycle be read as standalones? (I.e Just Left Hand or Darkness or The Dispossessed - Award winners)
    Definitely. I have read both and they have only cursory connections, though it is interesting to read about the inventor of 'the ansible' communication device in The Dispossessed as this features in many LeGuin stories.
    Last edited by Ropie; December 5th, 2011 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropie View Post
    Definitely. I have read both and they have only cursory connections, though it is interesting to read about the inventor of 'the ansible' communication device in The Dispossessed as this features in many LeGuin stories.
    Awesome, thanks for the info!

I'm still plowing through Echoes of Honor by David Weber. This book has definitely widened the scope considerably, at least in the sense of including more storyline within one novel. It's interesting that Weber manages to easily include viewpoints from both sides and make them exciting. I'm hoping to finish it fairly soon so I can read at least one, possibly two, of this years releases that I really want to get around to.

Quote Originally Posted by chitman13 View Post
    ... so I can read at least one, possibly two, of this years releases that I really want to get around to.
    Yeah, I'm sort of in the same boat, I've got a few 2011 releases I want to read before the year ends. I finished Rob Ziegler's Seed today. It was definitely interesting - intriguing premise and Ziegler captured atmosphere very well, I thought. Review to come.

Started listening to Haze by L.E. Modesitt Jr. So far so good. Anyone else read this? Any thoughts, good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by Seak View Post
    Started listening to Haze by L.E. Modesitt Jr. So far so good. Anyone else read this? Any thoughts, good or bad?
    I've heard good things, I think, but I am quite interested in getting my grubbies on it. Let me know how it turns out for you.