Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    I've heard good things, I think, but I am quite interested in getting my grubbies on it. Let me know how it turns out for you.
    Will do. I'm not too far in right now, so I'll let you know. Also funny that we're currently communicating through two different social media avenues.

Quote Originally Posted by Seak View Post
    Will do. I'm not too far in right now, so I'll let you know. Also funny that we're currently communicating through two different social media avenues.
    It's not unheard of

So I've had a few late nights recently and I've not been reading as much as I want to, but on Friday (I think) I finished the first Ciaphas Cain novel and quite enjoyed it. I don't think it was perfect, not by any stretch, but it was entertaining and something I'm surely going to continue with.

Finished Echoes of Honor last night. Powered through the last quarter and very much enjoyed it. After finishing I had to start on the 9th HH book, Ashes of Victory, because I needed to know what happened after the end of EoH. Looks like the 2011 releases will just have to wait a little longer...

I've spent the last couple of day focused in on Faith by John Love and I'm about 30 pages from finished it. It's really flown under the radar. Due out January 5 is the first of Night Shade's new crop of 2012 debut authors. Here's the blurb:

Moby Dick meets Duel in John Love's debut novel of Space Opera and Military Science Fiction!

Faith is the name humanity has given to the unknown, seemingly invincible alien ship that has begun to harass the newly emergent Commonwealth. 300 years earlier, the same ship destroyed the Sakhran Empire, allowing the Commonwealth to expand its sphere of influence. But now Faith has returned! The ship is as devastating as before, and its attacks leave some Commonwealth solar systems in chaos. Eventually it reaches Sakhra, now an important Commonwealth possession, and it seems like history is about to repeat itself.

But this time, something is waiting: an Outsider, one of the Commonwealth''s ultimate warships. Slender silver ships, full of functionality and crewed by people of unusual abilities, often sociopaths or psychopaths, Outsiders were conceived in back alleys, built and launched in secret, and commissioned without ceremony. One system away from earth, the Outsider ship Charles Manson makes a stand. Commander Foord waits with his crew of miscreants and sociopath, hoping to accomplish what no other human has been able to do - to destroy Faith!
    Not entirely sure what to think of it. Hope to have a long form review soon.

Spent last month ping ponging between Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space and China Mieville's Bas-Lag novels. On the scifi end, this month I've read Century Rain, which was a pretty good read. Did not expect the last paragraph, nice ending! Now on to Pushing Ice. Should be a weird ride after reading the first chapter...this is CNN? wut?

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by chitman13 View Post
    Finished Echoes of Honor last night. Powered through the last quarter and very much enjoyed it. After finishing I had to start on the 9th HH book, Ashes of Victory, because I needed to know what happened after the end of EoH. Looks like the 2011 releases will just have to wait a little longer...
    well there is a 4 year gap between AoV and the next mainstream Honor book WoH, though of course you will want to read some short stories to complete AoV (the ending of which is expanded in stories as people complained at the time, but luckily today the stories are out and free of course on the Baen CD site)

Crown of Slaves also should be of major interest as it lays the groundwork for the next level of the Honorverse (now you are at level 2, but there is level 3 so to speak ) and takes place in-between AoV and WoH...

Back on topic, I opened Artemis by P. Palmer and despite that I still have unread his last two books, this one hooked me - and it is a sort of sequel to his first book which i greatly enjoyed - so I think that will be my next sf, though I still have a fantasy and an ARG (on a binge with A Robbe Grillet work) to read before...

Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    Back on topic, I opened Artemis by P. Palmer and despite that I still have unread his last two books, this one hooked me - and it is a sort of sequel to his first book which i greatly enjoyed - so I think that will be my next sf, though I still have a fantasy and an ARG (on a binge with A Robbe Grillet work) to read before...
    I've got a copy of this, I really liked Hell Ship so glad to hear this one is starting off well.

well there is a 4 year gap between AoV and the next mainstream Honor book WoH, though of course you will want to read some short stories to complete AoV (the ending of which is expanded in stories as people complained at the time, but luckily today the stories are out and free of course on the Baen CD site)

Crown of Slaves also should be of major interest as it lays the groundwork for the next level of the Honorverse (now you are at level 2, but there is level 3 so to speak ) and takes place in-between AoV and WoH..
    Thanks Suciul! Staying on the topic of the Honorverse books - after Ashes of Victory what would you recommend as the reading order from there on? I know there is the Crown of Slaves series, and also the Saganami series, plus all the short stories. I'd like to read the shorts that would follow the story, as you mentioned, but haven't a clue which they would be :/ Any help would be great

Read interesting books
    Thanks Suciul! Staying on the topic of the Honorverse books - after Ashes of Victory what would you recommend as the reading order from there on? I know there is the Crown of Slaves series, and also the Saganami series, plus all the short stories. I'd like to read the shorts that would follow the story, as you mentioned, but haven't a clue which they would be :/ Any help would be great
    I would say that after AoV, I would read From the Highlands, Nightfall, Fanatic (from Changer of Worlds and Service of the Sword respectively - technically From the Highlands is set slightly before AoV but is not really connected with that, more with the CoS and level 3, but it reintroduces Anton Zilwicky from book 3 and introduces his daughter Helen Zilwicky who will co-star in Saganami and beyond, Victor Cachat idealist revolutionary of Haven who will be a star of the series and some others of future note, while Nightfall is well, nightfall, and Fanatic is Victor Cachat in full action mode) then War of Honor, then Service of the Sword (from the antho with same name, this introducing a few other future co-stars of the series).

After that you need to read Crown of slaves and Shadow of Saganami and then At All Costs and the duology Storm from the shadows/Mission of Honor while Torch of Freedom can be read at any point after Crown of slaves and before Mission of Honor as it juxtaposes with just about every other novel in-between but is separate in many ways, converging precisely and partly generating the justly famous end of Mission of Honor that we (fans) knew about years before the book was out.

After that of course A Rising Thunder and uncharted territory...

I mentioned in last months thread (accidentally) that I started Deadline by Mira Grant today and mention it in SF since the words on the spine under the imprint logo are Science Fiction. Good stuff so far.

I think one of my reading projects in 2012 is going to read through the Honor Harrington series. I've got physical copies of books 2-4, but with all of the ebooks available for free online I'll be filling up my Kindle with the remaining books.

I would say that after AoV, I would read From the Highlands, Nightfall, Fanatic (from Changer of Worlds and Service of the Sword respectively - technically From the Highlands is set slightly before AoV but is not really connected with that, more with the CoS and level 3, but it reintroduces Anton Zilwicky from book 3 and introduces his daughter Helen Zilwicky who will co-star in Saganami and beyond, Victor Cachat idealist revolutionary of Haven who will be a star of the series and some others of future note, while Nightfall is well, nightfall, and Fanatic is Victor Cachat in full action mode) then War of Honor, then Service of the Sword (from the antho with same name, this introducing a few other future co-stars of the series).

After that you need to read Crown of slaves and Shadow of Saganami and then At All Costs and the duology Storm from the shadows/Mission of Honor while Torch of Freedom can be read at any point after Crown of slaves and before Mission of Honor as it juxtaposes with just about every other novel in-between but is separate in many ways, converging precisely and partly generating the justly famous end of Mission of Honor that we (fans) knew about years before the book was out.

After that of course A Rising Thunder and uncharted territory...
    A huge thanks Suciul! Not as much extra reading as I thought, but still enough to enjoy

Read interesting books
    A huge thanks Suciul! Not as much extra reading as I thought, but still enough to enjoy
    No problem!

As the Honorverse books are addictive you will most likely go fast through them and get to the waiting for the next one as I have been doing for 17 years now since I read the first 4 Honor books in 1994.

I still remember the discussions and speculations on the Baen Bar from 10 and more years ago - when War of Honor appeared in 2002 and there were the first snippets (no earcs yet as At All Costs was the first Baen earc) even today I remember the shock at what they implied considering the end of AoV...

The huge waiting was though from 2005 till 2009 since after the superb At All Costs (imho the best Honorverse to date and one of the best sf of the 00 decade as it is quite a standalone novel in many ways with a clear theme and a clear end), DW got a little burned out on the series (after writing that ending to AAC I think anyone would find hard to top it for a while - after countless readings and it still almost make me cry, so powerful it is)

So he went and started Multiverse, Safehold, wrote a Bolo novel which was better than I expected and prefigured Safehold in some ways, finally wrote the 1634 novel needed and waited for a long time (Baltic War) while letting "dust settle" and getting ready to start the next level of the Honorvverse.

The next three books (Storm, Torch and Mission) were more transitional, but luckily they all came fast (2 in 2009 and one in 2010) and now he is probably back at one Honorverse a year or at worst 2 in 3 years pace with maybe 10 more expected

No problem!

As the Honorverse books are addictive you will most likely go fast through them and get to the waiting for the next one as I have been doing for 17 years now since I read the first 4 Honor books in 1994.

I still remember the discussions and speculations on the Baen Bar from 10 and more years ago - when War of Honor appeared in 2002 and there were the first snippets (no earcs yet as At All Costs was the first Baen earc) even today I remember the shock at what they implied considering the end of AoV...

The huge waiting was though from 2005 till 2009 since after the superb At All Costs (imho the best Honorverse to date and one of the best sf of the 00 decade as it is quite a standalone novel in many ways with a clear theme and a clear end), DW got a little burned out on the series (after writing that ending to AAC I think anyone would find hard to top it for a while - after countless readings and it still almost make me cry, so powerful it is)

So he went and started Multiverse, Safehold, wrote a Bolo novel which was better than I expected and prefigured Safehold in some ways, finally wrote the 1634 novel needed and waited for a long time (Baltic War) while letting "dust settle" and getting ready to start the next level of the Honorvverse.

The next three books (Storm, Torch and Mission) were more transitional, but luckily they all came fast (2 in 2009 and one in 2010) and now he is probably back at one Honorverse a year or at worst 2 in 3 years pace with maybe 10 more expected
    My plan was to get up to speed ready for the release of A Rising Thunder, but I know the earc is out there now so not in as massive a rush as it initially was.

I just find that the whole setting is, frankly, awesome. There is so much detail there and such a huge scope that I can see why it's such a popular series. I'm very much looking forward to reading what I've got left at the moment, and then going back and going over the other short stories that I won't have read.

Also, as I've not followed these books at all until recently I have no idea where everything is going or what the theories are about forthcoming books/storylines. It's really good to have so much to read and catch up on, but I know that when I do get up to speed I will be all over the place discussing them

One thing I'm always keeping in the back of my mind is the Solarian League and I'm just waiting for something major to happen wih them, despite how the Peeps and Manties are embroiled in their war (as at AoV)...

I am reading "In the Shadow of Ares" by Thomas L. James and Carl C. Carlsson.

Its a Kindle download from Amazon about early colonial life on Mars told from the point of view of Amber, the first child born on Mars. I am about half way through and I am enjoying the tale so far. It reminds me of some of Heinlein's work but modernized.

Read interesting books

I just find that the whole setting is, frankly, awesome. There is so much detail there and such a huge scope that I can see why it's such a popular series. I'm very much looking forward to reading what I've got left at the moment, and then going back and going over the other short stories that I won't have read.
    And the detail and number of characters involved just gets expanded as the series goes on. Would not want to spoil things, but as mentioned if the series would be say a game, in Aov and MoH you are finally at level 2, with almost no inkling that level 3

(minor)
    Spoiler:
    with its own super players that dwarf Pierre and Saint Just

is round the corner...