Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is the most annoying thing in fiction stories?

Because I'm curious: What are some characteristics of general fiction that really annoy you? ie: character types, dead plots, please specify for these.

One random thing that I really dislike is when characters of a book murmur, particularly if more than one of them do so. Every time it really throws me out of the story. Why can't they whisper or speak softly, why do they have to murmur?

I also can't stand it when the protagonist constantly self doubts. I understand it if they do at the beginning of a story and by the end of the story they have learned lessons, but to doubt themselves the entire story is very frustrating for me the reader. I stopped reading Terry Brooks Shannara series because of this.

It really bothers me when characters act contrary to their own self interest, and not because of self destructive tendencies on their own part, but because of outside influences. About half of Bentley Little's books suffer from this. A character will see something completely horrific, and tell themselves that they need to leave but they remain, and slowly unconcern themselves until they forget. It drives me up the wall.

I hate it when characters aren't as smart as they should be. I read The Devil's Elixir recently and it annoyed me so much that the archaeologist in the story was asking the federal agent questions an archaeologist should have known. It was obvious the author was putting more emphasis on the agent because he was the protagonist, but making the other character seem stupid ruined the whole book for me (that and I'm an archaeology nerd so I found it extra offensive ).

I also hate gender norms in books. Always having the male as the action hero saving the day and the female as the damsel in distress or the sidekick drives me insane. Again, same book, female agents became babysitters (literally because apparently none of the male agents knew how to handle a child). Or when female characters are absurdly perfect. It's too unrealistic and kills the mood.

Although, there are some cases when this can be done for a particular impact to the story and it isn't grating, but it seems like very few authors successfully pull that off.

Denial of/Inaction against True Evil

It annoys me when the good guys can't see true evil for what it is.

As you might have guessed from that statement, I go for the anti-hero or Byronic Hero more often than not. It just galls me when you have a bad guy in some fictional land and he is just slaughtering and dominating everyone and can be easily killed. Here I am talking about the kind of bad guy you would find in a Western. Some guy that can be shot at just about any time, but no one does it. Either it isn't in their honor code of the west, or they are too scared, but it frustrates me to no end.

Note that I excuse this behavior if the bad guy is not easy to kill. Maybe he is a powerful wizard or heavily protected. That makes sense. I also excuse bad guys who may be redeemed. Maybe one who is acting bad because of incomplete or false info.

I am narrowly objecting to a bad guy like a Hitler being allowed to do whatever and no one does anything about it. It makes me kind of want to stop reading/watching since I don't mind if that guys wins. It goes back to Plato - The people get the gov't they deserve. I apply that to those quivering masses.

Motivations.

For me one of the most frustrating things in Science Fiction writing is the motivations for a species to cross the light years expending no amount of effort in getting here and then dealing with humanity...for resources which are in all likelihood readily available in the universe. When you look up and consider the Oort Cloud, the other planetoids and available resources within the universe, it seems highly unlikely that someone would go to all of the effort of wiping out humanity, just to get to our minerals/water or other resource. I can excuse it when the fiction was written in a time when this was not commonly known or held as a belief, however it just bothers me some. The race being just territorial/hostile or nipping the "issue of humanity the vermin of the stars" in the bud I find plausible. Though I guess I am projecting my own reasoning onto beings that I cannot know, but still it irks me a lot.

I don't like it when nothing happens in a book, and the plot is dead.
    I can accept immature characters, but I cannot accept boring plots.

Blog Entries
    Well as they say whats boring to some is riveting reading to others. Anyway, when it comes to things that annoy me. I loathe any fiction/fantasy with characters that have long winded names. Like Gilthanusasor, Balthazaricus, Alefalnaticus of the dark forest realm. That's just exaggerated sarcasm of course, but I am sure you get my drift.

Quote Originally Posted by chongjasmine View Post
    I don't like it when nothing happens in a book, and the plot is dead.
    I can accept immature characters, but I cannot accept boring plots.
    To make fiction stories successful one need to give more impact on plots but I would say plots and characters both have been given equal importance while creating fiction story.

Carl Alves
    For me it's a lack of believability, which plagues many stories. It doesn't have to be genre stories. In fact, the biggest believability issues are usually in thrillers. I'm okay with zombies, werewolves, time travel, whatever, but the action of the characters have to be consistent with the world in which they are in.
    Carl

i hate reading a historical novel and there are modern concepts thrown in just because the author found whatever they were doing then to be too icky.. like a victorian woman shaving her legs?
    or a medieval woman attempting to use deodorant or modern birth control ... why do these people even write in the genre? if it is so icky to them, why mention it?

Banal prose. Most thrillers or young adult novels would fall in this category. (Ugh, Dan Brown! Stephanie Meyer!) That bothers me much more than anything that's "overly flowery" ever could.

A "strong female character" that's completely one-dimensional and just thrown in there for the sake of being the "strong female character." Usually there's a list of obnoxious cliches, like can't stand corsets, runs away from her arranged marriage, constantly needs to prove she's as good as a man, is amazingly good at everything she does...

Or the other patronizing way women are written, where men are rough and tumble while women are saintly, wise and sensible, but can't stop nagging their neanderthalish men. Like every single bad sitcom ever. Even authors I really like do this, like David Eddings or Jim Butcher sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by jastius View Post
    i hate reading a historical novel and there are modern concepts thrown in just because the author found whatever they were doing then to be too icky.. like a victorian woman shaving her legs?
    or a medieval woman attempting to use deodorant or modern birth control ... why do these people even write in the genre? if it is so icky to them, why mention it?
    Yes, absolutely this.

Well, a lot of things are annoying in any fiction depending upon one's mood. But in fiction stories, any thing can happen anytime in favor of hero. Sometimes you'd enjoy this but mostly it is headache...

Underimagining. Smeerps - or whatever they are called. Those moments (whole books!) where the author ScienceFictionalises contemporary banality by calling Rabbits 'Smeerps', cigarettes 'nicto-tubes', coffee 'synthocaf' etc etc etc.

and Star Trek

Fiction that introduces like a million plot complications, and then don't resolve any of them, or resolve them in an abrupt or completely incoherent way.

Anime, I'm looking at you.

Any contrived suspense. Like mysteries with, "I discovered the answer, which I shall reveal to you later, dear reader." UGH.