Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I am quite excited for this. 20 years ago as I read Eye of the World on a bus, I never suspected I would be waiting so long for a conclusion. The Dragon Reborn was about to be released in paperback and I thought that was going to be the end.......

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny B View Post
    I am quite excited for this. 20 years ago as I read Eye of the World on a bus, I never suspected I would be waiting so long for a conclusion. The Dragon Reborn was about to be released in paperback and I thought that was going to be the end.......
    Was it really that long ago?
    It was a marketing ploy that even brought the series to my attention. I remember (20 years ago? lol) buying several Battletech books from my local Walden Book store. I don't think they're even in business anymore. And at the checkout they were giving away the first half of the first book: Eye of the World. It was months before I got around to reading it, but once I did, I rushed right out and bought every single book they had out in the series. I think they had the first 4 books out at the time and I devoured them all. Ever since I have eagerly awaited every succeedding book. It has been a long wait for some of the latter books and I was crushed when Robert Jordan died. I never thought these last books would be the same, but I think Brandon Sanderson, with Harriet Jordans help, have done a wonderful job. I am just so glad to know I will be able to read the finish to this epic series.

I wonder if Jordan's last chapter that he supposedly wrote first will be worth the wait. It will be interesting to read something straight from the dead man's hand again. I'm looking forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Darth View Post
    I cannot imagine doing a reread - I'd love too but it would take me forever. Good luck to you intrepid readers. Let us know how its going.
    http://www.wotsummary.com/map.html

That should take about an hour on the default speed. You should be able to read it at that pace. Although I've been lazy so it only goes through to TGS.

As Hobbit mentioned further up-thread -- each chapter links to the much more detailed chapter summaries at tor.com, encyclopedia-wot.org, wot.wikia.com.

We have a release date:

A Memory of Light will release on January 8, 2013, in the final month of the Year of the Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    We have a release date:

A Memory of Light will release on January 8, 2013, in the final month of the Year of the Dragon.
    Really? Wow. That's actually later than I expected.

We have a release date:

Sad. Nobody will be able to read it. Doesn't Brandon know the world ends on December 21 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by chris777 View Post
    Sad. Nobody will be able to read it. Doesn't Brandon know the world ends on December 21 2012?
    I was hoping to see it for sale by October, that I might at least finish my favorite fantasy series before we all die.
    Ah well, life has always been full of disappointments like this.
    I can say this with absolute certainty: I WILL NOT be pre-ordering the book.
    If we are still here when it comes out, I will wait for them to beg me to buy it at a substantially reduced rate.
    Or better yet, being so disappointed with the late sale date, maybe I'll just wait to get a free copy in one form or another.
    This release date is VERY disappointing.
    Last edited by fiddler; February 16th, 2012 at 11:08 PM.

Analyze That
    I don't think we can put this push-back in the same category as the Lynch, Martin, Rothfuss pushbacks (even though its technically more than three years from when originally expected). This is a bit of an odd case where a writer was handed a set of notes and had no idea how long it would be to have those notes in the form of a book. Even these final few pushbacks seem to be due to the unexpected length of the last book judging by Sanderson's blog post. (Not to mention we've actually had books to read each of the past couple of years because of the splits).

I would not be surprised if this is the only time we see a Sanderson book moved back by as much as this one was. And it's coming now.

PS: I'm not actually responding to fiddler, I do realize that was sarcasm. This is more of a general comment.

Cover artist announced for A Memory of Light:

Michael Whelan

Awesomesauce.

Blog Entries

Michael Whelan

Awesomesauce.
    Indeed. Michael Whelan has done some of my favorite covers.

Michael Whelan

Awesomesauce.
    Agreed. I think Whelan is the best stand-in for Sweet as their styles are fairly similar and they both have that same sort of charm.

It won't be the same, of course, but it's as good as anyone could hope for.

I wish they would've had him all along. Michael Whelan does some badass covers.

That's awesome, Michael Whelan did a lot of artwork for Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

I am currently rereading the series, and I am now onto book 3 of the series.