Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Where have I been? Moderator JRMurdock's Avatar

March 2014 - Motivational Thread

Let the Madness continue!

Wow was February a whirlwind of activity for everyone involved. I hope it continues into March for every one! Wooooooo

My plan for March is to:

Edit Of Gnomes and Dwarves, do a better cover, and publish it
    Write 33,000 words of new fiction.
    Create a good cover for my giant robot story
    Write a short story for the forum anthology
    Write a short story for two anthologies friends have asked for
    Blog a lot, again
    Finish Asteroid Bunnies (already 7000 words in and I know it will go beyond my target)
    Start Astel 2.

Let's see how March goes. Good Luck everyone!

it could be worse Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    And you claim you have a full time job?

I don't believe it.

My goals for March:
    • Apply for this scholarship so I can go to this week-long class. Wish me luck.
    • Finish my sci-fi novel (estimated 30-40k to go)
    • Write at least one blog post a week
    • Crit something once a week (either on this forum or the Odyssey group)

That's it. That should keep me busy.

known as Noumenon no more Andrew Leon Hudson's Avatar
    I'm going to set a manageable target for March, according to my new productivity level:
    • Write something.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Noumenon View Post
    I'm going to set a manageable target for March, according to my new productivity level:
    • Write something.
    Even such a modest goal as just writing something has become daunting to me. My life has been such an overwhelming disaster these past few months, it's really just been impossible to get my head into creating stories. I feel like I'm starting to forget how, or even why, I used to write.

Somebody, motivate me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by norm View Post
    Somebody, motivate me!
    What about writing about what is going on in your life. Doesn't have to be a story. Just start describing all the events and catastrophes. Write out at least a page or two of what's going on in your life.

Maybe once you get that out of your system, have it out some place where you can point at it and curse it, then you can move on to your stories?

Just a thought.

Registered User CharlotteAshley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by N. E. White View Post
    My goals for March:
    Oh wow, that would be amazing! Luck! All the luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Noumenon View Post
    • Write something.
    Shoot for the stars, Nou. 0_o

Somebody, motivate me!
    I agree with tmso - write about life. Write a journal entry. Write anything! Write a quick 500 words entitled "Where I Would Rather Be Right Now".

My March goals keep wavering. I was going to write my WWI forum anthology story - I have a few pages of research done to this end. But I just got back from a 1-day semi-academic specfic event which has left me with Many Ideas, and maybe more importantly, I talked with an editor friend who is putting together an anthology. He's having trouble getting enough stories, even though the anthology pays pro - the subject is just so specific, and he needs to print 90% Canadian writers (for funding reasons) and just isn't getting them. Insert MY BRAIN.

So my one goal for this month will most likely be:

1) Write a story for Start a Revolution: QUILTBAG Fiction Vying for Change.

If the outlining doesn't work out, my goal will instead be to:

1) Write my WWI forum anthology story.

Also,

2) Clean up La Heron & my Dutch cartography story for submission.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteAshley View Post
    He's having trouble getting enough stories, even though the anthology pays pro - the subject is just so specific, and he needs to print 90% Canadian writers (for funding reasons) and just isn't getting them. Insert MY BRAIN.
    Canadian writers, eh? Do tell. perhaps my immense talents (sarcasm) might be put to use.

Registered User CharlotteAshley's Avatar
    Canadian writer's, eh? Do tell. perhaps my immense talents (sarcasm) might be put to use.
    Well, see above. It's an anthology if Queer, Revolutionary specfic. (http://michaelmatheson.wordpress.com...-a-revolution/) I wasn't going to submit because, really, I ain't queer and I'd rather give queer writers the space/voice, but if he's having trouble rounding them up, I will happily write a story about revolution (God knows 1792 is, like, my FAVOURITE year) and a queer protagonist is no stranger to me than a male, robot or faerie one.

A queer, male, fairy, Canadian robot sent back in time to 1792? Sounds like the name of my next band :-)

As for struggling to find out why you used to write, I agree with write anything. I used to journal a lot. It helps get the gears turning once more :-)

caught in the whirlwind of my imagination
    I have 2 goals for this month.
    1. Finish the first draft of Halloween Book 2--in half a month I wrote 7 chapters on this. I have no doubt that, with a full month, I can write the 11 chapters that are left
    2. Start writing the unnamed novel--the outline is done! It's time to get working on this thing!

Anything else I do is a bonus, but those are the two priorities. If I do manage to get the Halloween Book 2 finished before the end of the month as I hope, I will stick it away and begin work on outlining the next novel while, simultaneously, continuing to write the unnamed novel.

Yesterday was a bust for me with nothing done at all. I helped my dad put together his new office throughout the morning and afternoon, then went to my sister's birthday party last night. Between the two, I had about thirty spare minutes at home in which to do a couple different Life things. Yay for Life things! So no writing was done yesterday

However, I did have one big epiphany and I must thank Charlotte and the rest of those participating in the Exposition and Infodumps thread. IThough I have nothing to include as I don't write short stories much, I am interested in the topic but I'm behind on the conversation. So I read the first page of that thread on Friday night and, by Saturday morning, I knew how I should start the Halloween prequel series. I've been outlining that book for 2 years and I've figured out the whole thing, except the beginning. Now I have the first chapter Now what's the second? Hmm.....

Today I'm going to get out of the house to write. Breakfast at my favorite cafe, then to the coffee shop I think.

Going to try and finish another chapter of my current WIP amidst all the launch promo stuff for previous novel.

Kerry

Woke up WAy too early for a Sunday Morning. Decided to put it to good use while the wife and my favorite daughter slept in. Knocked out 2500 words in a short story that's been banging around inside my head because of this (http://portalundermysink.wordpress.com/). It'll probably be another 3000 words to the end. i explained the entire story to my favorite daughter yesterday and had he laughing pretty hard. I think it'll be fun and if the day goes right, it might even be done today.

So two days into the month and I'm sitting on 4300 words already and will possibly get over 5000 if I have my way. Need to help a buddy move some more stuff today, though.

I did, however, rearrange the computer room last week. I bought a new 24" monitor to replace the 19" monitor we've have for 7 or 8 years. Wow is that thing HUGE! Next week we're looking at replacing the PC with something that will actually run fast and do what we need it to do. The computer is also 7 or 8 years old. Whenever i do anything (like open photoshop) the processor drags, I get "not enough memory" errors, video drags or stalls. Yeah, it's time.

Anyway, the new monitor has dual input so I'll be able to hook up my work laptop (17" screen) to it as well. This will be really nice when working.

But I'm rambling. I should be writing. I'm waiting for the wife and my favorite daughter to get ready so we can go help with some moving. Let's see if I can do a few more words. Once this short is done, I'll do some research for the forum anthology short I want to write about WWI Wizards . Tentative title is Regulations of the Wise. We'll see how it goes.

I'm off to do stuff. WOO WOO

@tmso. I'm a big fan of Writing Excuses and considered trying to get in myself. I hope you get it.

Goals for this month.

1. Write at least two chapter for Ashwalker (10k words)
    2. Write at least two chapter for unnamed novel (10k words). I've started and have 1700 words.
    3. Work with writing coach to start revision of Specters. Also, come up with a new name. Whether or not Specters of the Mind's Eye is any good, it doesn't fit the book very well. I'm terrible with titles. Arg!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jasoninchina View Post
    @tmso. I'm a big fan of Writing Excuses and considered trying to get in myself. I hope you get it.
    Thanks! Me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by jasoninchina View Post
    Whether or not Specters of the Mind's Eye is any good, it doesn't fit the book very well. I'm terrible with titles. Arg!
    Do you mean your travelers story? Is that its title? I'm surprised I can't remember it. I think you are right, it doesn't fit at all. I thought it was called Travelers or something. Luminaries, maybe?

The last days of February ended with a tremendous thud for me. Oh, I got words in, to be sure. But I'm afraid they're the wrong ones. I took some popular writer's advice on character plotting, and started asking my characters questions, each one building off the last. It was fantastic and terrible at the same time. Fantastic, because I discovered things I never knew about my characters, which revealed new sources of tension and conflict. Why terrible though? I also discovered that I'd written this novel, close to 65,000 words already, and I'd had the plot drive the characters, rather than the other way around. It was too neat and tidy, and some of the arcs were too simple.

I may have to rewrite huge chunks of it, which is a depressing thought. The novel doesn't suck, I don't think, but now that I know what's missing, I refuse to move forward with any thoughts of publication or query until it's fixed. Good isn't good enough. I'm pretty much at a standstill as far as words are concerned, I think, for now.

So my goals for March:

• Finish character plotting
    • Finalize plot questions and then write up a new outline
    • Take a look at current manuscript and see what can stay, as well as what needs to go
    • Aim for 10,000 words, but not until the above is completed