Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mebane, North Carolina
    Posts
    616

    Magazines with unsolicited submissions

    I was looking to compile a list of SF/Fantasy/Horror/Other magazines (online or otherwise) that are accepting unsolicted submissions. This started as a purely selfish venture, I assure you (I think I'm finally brave enough to attempt to get something published), but I thought perhaps a list would be helpful to everyone here.

    After one short night of searching, I have compiled a small list (updated per replies to this thread, thanks guys!). Keep in mind that I have NO experience in dealing with any of the publishers I'm about to list, so I encourage you to check them out fully before submitting.

    Websites with complied lists:
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    Ralan
    http://www.ralan.com/

    Quintamid
    http://www.quintamid.com/q/mdb/list

    Duotrope
    http://www.duotrope.com/

    Rimbaud
    http://www.rimbaud.org.uk/

    __________________________________________________ _______________



    My manually searched crap:
    __________________________________________________ _______________

    Fantasy & Science Fiction
    http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/glines.htm
    Word Count Limit: 25,000
    Story Type: SF/Fantasy/Humor
    Submission: Mail only (no electronic)
    Payment: 6-9 cents/word
    Location: USA

    Analog
    http://www.analogsf.com/information/submissions.shtml
    Word Count Limit (preferred): 2,000-7,000 (short story), 10,000-20,000 (novelettes), 40,000-80,000 (serials)
    Story Type: SF/Science Fact
    Submission: Mail only (no electronic)
    Payment: Varies per submission type (normal 6-8 cents/word)
    Location: USA

    Leading Edge
    http://www.leadingedgemagazine.com/
    Word Count Limit: 10,000 preferred, 15,000 considered
    Story Type: SF/Fantasy
    Submission: Mail only (no electronic)
    Payment: 1 cent/word
    Location: USA

    Neo-opsis
    http://www.neo-opsis.ca/guidelines.htm
    Word Count Limit: 6,000
    Story Type: SF/Fantasy
    Submission: Mail or Electronic
    Payment: 2.5 cents(canadian)/word
    Location: Canada

    Strange Horizons
    http://www.strangehorizons.com/guidelines/fiction.shtml
    Word Count Limit: 5,000 preferred, 9,000 considered
    Story Type: SF/Fantasy
    Submission: Electronic
    Payment: 5 cents/word
    Location: USA

    Clarkesworld
    http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/submissions/
    Word Count Limit: 1,000-4,000
    Story Type: SF/Fantasy/Horror
    Submission: Electronic
    Payment: 10 cents/word
    Location: ???

    Flash Fiction Online
    http://www.flashfictiononline.com/submit.html
    Word Count Limit: 500-1,000
    Story Type: SF/Fantasy/Horror
    Submission: Electronic
    Payment: $50/story
    Location: USA


    __________________________________________________ _______________

    I'd love for you guys to add to the list if you can, or perhaps share your experiences with said magazines.
    Last edited by Sterling13; September 28th, 2009 at 01:58 PM.

  2. #2
    It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    5,511
    Blog Entries
    18
    I'm saving this list. I too am just at the point of considering submitting.

    Here's another one but it's for flash fiction only:
    http://www.flashfictiononline.com/submit.html

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mebane, North Carolina
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    I'm saving this list. I too am just at the point of considering submitting.

    Here's another one but it's for flash fiction only:
    http://www.flashfictiononline.com/submit.html
    Excellent... added.

  4. #4
    Edited for submission Holbrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In the Shire
    Posts
    4,343
    Blog Entries
    42
    Maybe I am just lazy, but I check out http://www.ralan.com/ when I have a short story to sell, as each story is different and demands a different market.

  5. #5
    It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    5,511
    Blog Entries
    18
    OMG - Ralan.com is scary. Didn't know there was so much out there...duh.

    Thanks for the link. I'll have to go through the site carefully on some insomniac-plagued night.
    Last edited by N. E. White; July 22nd, 2009 at 05:04 PM.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mebane, North Carolina
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook View Post
    Maybe I am just lazy, but I check out http://www.ralan.com/ when I have a short story to sell, as each story is different and demands a different market.
    Wow... you're not lazy... my hero perhaps?

    Excellent site.

  7. #7
    Reader Moderator NickeeCoco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,683

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by NickeeCoco View Post
    Anybody know how often this website is updated?

  9. #9
    Fulgurous Moderator KatG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In a Cloud
    Posts
    12,334
    Wasn't there also the Queen Lizard site -- oh rats, I've forgotten what it was called exactly, but something like that. Wait, maybe Iguana. Anyway, Ralan.com is usually pretty good. There's also the SFWA (Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America) -- they list mags.

  10. #10
    Master Obfuscator Dawnstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    Posts
    2,396
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    Wasn't there also the Queen Lizard site -- oh rats, I've forgotten what it was called exactly, but something like that. Wait, maybe Iguana. Anyway, Ralan.com is usually pretty good. There's also the SFWA (Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America) -- they list mags.
    Spicygreeniguana.com?

    Type that into your browser and they'll ask you for a username and password to even get onto the site. Weird.

  11. #11
    Fulgurous Moderator KatG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    In a Cloud
    Posts
    12,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
    Spicygreeniguana.com?

    Type that into your browser and they'll ask you for a username and password to even get onto the site. Weird.
    That's it! You probably have to subscribe and possibly pay to get on that site now. There are also endless directories out there, and in writing directories that are printed. You can sometimes find those in the reference section of the public library and while the information has to be double-checked, it should at least give you a list of names.

  12. #12
    I personally cannot survive without www.duotrope.com

  13. #13
    Master Obfuscator Dawnstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    Posts
    2,396
    Quote Originally Posted by KatG View Post
    That's it! You probably have to subscribe and possibly pay to get on that site now. There are also endless directories out there, and in writing directories that are printed. You can sometimes find those in the reference section of the public library and while the information has to be double-checked, it should at least give you a list of names.
    I'm not surprised if you have to pay now. It's just the site itself wouldn't load unless you have a username and password. This kind of makes it hard to acquire a username and password. Googling didn't help much. I couldn't get to the site. Short of emailing the owner, I have no idea how to register. I do find this odd.

  14. #14
    Registered User Scorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
    I'm not surprised if you have to pay now. It's just the site itself wouldn't load unless you have a username and password. This kind of makes it hard to acquire a username and password. Googling didn't help much. I couldn't get to the site. Short of emailing the owner, I have no idea how to register. I do find this odd.
    Must be the worst business idea ever.

  15. #15
    Reader Moderator NickeeCoco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,683
    Quote Originally Posted by bwthomason View Post
    Anybody know how often this website is updated?
    I don't know for sure, but honestly, I don't think it has for some time. Some of the links they have posted are no longer in existence. The way its laid out, however, makes it easier to find the type of magazines you're looking for than www.ralan.com, I find.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •