Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    I don't think your book will be knocked back if you are using " rather than ' (or vice versa). That would be up to the publishing house rules anyway... basic grammatical errors relating to word usage, however... now that could see your manuscript tossed!

Just an idea, but perhaps you should specify if the grammatical rule that you're talking about refers to American English or UK English. Despite their similarities, the two are different in a number of ways...

For instance:

In American English, it is acceptable to say: I lost my hat. Did you see it?

In UK English, this is grammatically incorrect. You should say: I've lost my hat. Have you seen it?

The reason for this is because, in UK English, only the present perfect should be used for a past action that has a present result. In American English you can use present perfect or past simple.

Hope that makes sense!

Anyway, as I said.. When giving tips on grammar you should specify which variety of english it applies to.

Writing in Australian English can be a little confusing whilst reading books written in British or American, and using non-Aussie word processor.

Just a note on " and ' from the US perspective:

" are used in dialogue. When a character is making a speech and quotes someone or something else ' are used to set off the quotation.

I try to reread Strunk once a year to make sure my grammar hasn't slipped.

Practise, and Practice.
    I assume Practice is the place where one Practises?
    But do I go to piano practice, or do I go to piano practise? (or would that second one be like saying do I go to practise (on the) piano?)
    Double checking here -this one always gets me!

GemQuest Moderator Gary Wassner's Avatar
    There is a small press publisher who tells you very clearly in their submission guidelines that they intend to randomly pull four pages from what you send them (they only want 25 pages) and check them for errors. If they find 1 error per page they will not read the rest, and send it all back to the author.
    They also state that you must mark your envelope 'slush pile' when you send it in if you are not represented by an agent. There are quite a few other obnoxious requirements in their guidelines as well by the way.
    So, they expect you to be an author and an editor, in addition to being an agent and a working person. But, the lesson is a good one I suppose. They probably do not have the time or personnel to edit these things themselves.
    I just wonder why they need to be so condescending.

Oh Gemquest, you MUST be yanking my chain!

Are you saying that there are publishers out there who consider one bleeding spelling mistake to be more important than the story?

Tha nives lookt very sharp........
    'Sorry Mr S King, but your story contains some mistakes, please submit your story somewhere else'

Do these Guys think they are Gods?

I am being perfectly serious! Go and take a look for yourself at the submissions guidelines:

http://www.stonedragonpress.com/sub_text.html

scroll down to the last topic box titled 'proofing' and read it!

Their entire attitude is a bit shocking.

Hmm, a website with all the top sf authors plus it's updated every day. wow!

Olo Bumbleroot of Haysend someguy's Avatar
    there are publishers out there who consider one bleeding spelling mistake to be more important than the story?
    If you apply for work (not McDonalds and the like), a single spelling or grammar error can get your resume thrown in the garbage, just like that. Why should publishing be different.

Publishers and swamped with submitted work. They have to cut somehow, and that is one way they would do it. Once your are established (like S King), you can start to relax, but not before...

Blog Entries
    I like that publishers style!

Did you read the "rants" on the home page....

Most of what is on the submissions page is standard submissions stuff anyway... If you don't do it that way , you are lost before you start.....

The manner in which it is written, least to me shows the publishers tongue is firmly in their cheek, or maybe I have a strange sense of humour.

That analysis would be fine if an author was expected to also be his/her own editor. But, particularly in the case of Stone Dragon Press, the senior member states clearly that his primary love is the editing of the authors he works with. If he expects the manuscript to be error free, then it is certainly not grammar he loves to edit!
    I am all for taking tremendous care to edit and correct what you write. But, even the best miss things. I would not be quite as unbending as to discard anything that has more than one error per page at this stage of the process. How many published books do you read that have glaring errors in them? I see it all the time. I am not making excuses for errors, but I am just a little more tolerant I guess. There is plenty of time after the publisher decides he/she wants the book because the story is great and the writing is wonderful to correct the mistakes.

In a way I'm glad I've looked at this thread. Although I'm not too sure how I feel about publishers expecting MS submissions to be degree level English perfect, in the end there is bog all I can do about it.
    If one publisher does this then I suppose most publishers will be similar.

I know my command of the English language is below standard, that does not bother me too much (f7 is my best friend )
    I does not bother me too much because I cannot stop writing, the ideas, plot lines, wierd thoughts do not stop.

So once I am happy with the book, I'll get someone else to go through it before it gets submitted.

Cursed Man
    Just a little query. If we want to show possession of an object to a guy named Valdez do we say "Valdez's" or "Valdez' "?

I'm pretty sure it's the first one.