Newbie needs advice on good Space Opera novels!

Greetings! I am new to SF lit. and am in need of some good advice on some titles to check out, mostly space operas. Now I'm a big anime fan and I love Sci-fi and as Iíve come to find out specifically Space Opera and I love to read so I thought "Why not try some sci-fi novels?", to be honest the sci-fi section at B&N scares me hahaha, so I had another thought "Why not try a sci-fi forum?" so here I am! So to help show what I like here are some of the anime space opera titles I like (Sorry if they aren't exactly Space Opera):

-Macross
    -Space Captain Harlock
    -Galaxy Express 999 (the movie)
    -Crest & Banner of the Stars
    -Mobile Suit Gundam (the original movie trilogy)
    -Cowboy Bebob
    And I love the Original Star Wars trilogy (granted not anime but still space opera)

So any and all recommendations would be great and really helpful! Please and Thank you!

Welcome SuperZ96,

advice on space operas? Well, let me throw in my 2 cents.

Nick Seafort Saga by David Feintuch. Hornblower in outer space. I literally devoured them novels.

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman. Very good indeed. This is the first one and he added 2 additional novels to it, so I guess it qualifies as an opera.

There are many more out there but these the ones which came to my mind spontaneously. Just browse thru Wikipedia and the forums a bit and you'll find more titels.

Mr. Kay

Thank you Mr. Kay for those titles and advice ^/_\^ I'll defiantly check them out and look through the forum for other such title~!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperZ96 View Post
    Thank you Mr. Kay for those titles and advice ^/_\^ I'll defiantly check them out and look through the forum for other such title~!
    Welcome to our Universe SuperZ96! Everyone has their own favorites and sooner or later some of the more veteran members of this website will be sure to weigh in. Knowing nothing about anime here are some of my favorites:

Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained by Peter Hamilton
    The Void Trilogy also by Peter Hamilton
    The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons
    The Gap Series by Steven Donaldson
    The Earth/Union Series by CJ Cherryh

That's good for a start though there are many others. Dive in and happy reading!

It's hard to say because I am not familiar with any of those anime titles. I would add to what has been said by suggesting Neal Asher. Probably beginning with The Skinner or Gridlinked. His books are more action oriented and would seem to be a good fit for an anime fan. (from what little I know of anime). It really depends on your level of comfort with literature.

I always suggest Iain Banks' Culture books when asked for space opera because they are my favorites, but they are not always the easiest reads.

Being the resident sci-fi cynic I must say that if it is really "Space Opera" then it can't be good unless the reader is under the age of 15.

Fortunately it is possible to go back to where "space opera" really began and do it on the cheap.

The Skylark of Space by Edward Elmer "Doc" Smith
    http://www.feedbooks.com/book/830/the-skylark-of-space

Triplanetary by Edward Elmer "Doc" Smith
    http://www.feedbooks.com/book/827/triplanetary

Of course there is also the Lensmen Series etc.

For more recent stuff that I would not call "space opera" and which has gotten more sophisticated than that stone age sci-fi try:

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/2...rnCD/index.htm

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

psik
    Last edited by psikeyhackr; December 27th, 2011 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
    Being the resident sci-fi cynic I must say that if it is really "Space Opera" then it can't be good unless the reader is under the age of 15.
    ha

Been away for a while and had forgotten about your firm (veteran) (firm) opinion.

will check The Earth/Union Series by CJ Cherryh, thanks DDCOrange
    Last edited by pox; December 27th, 2011 at 07:03 PM.

If you don't find some good Space Opera in the following thread, which is VERY exhaustive and has been updated regularly, then I doubt you'll ever find a good Space Opera:

Epic SF and Space Opera: Here's my giant list, what's missing?

Here's an extensive thread, about a year old, discussing some good Space Opera novels:

I'm running out of space operas!

Thanks to everyone who responded to this with your suggestions I will take all of them into consideration and check out those titles! Thanks Rob for the thread link! I think I have enough titles to keep me busy but if anyone has anything new to suggest then go for it!