Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SF Recommendations

Hi there! I've kinda been out of the SF loop for a while. The last SF I read was C.J. Cherryh's Inheritor. I'd really appreciate it if you can recommend two or three of your favorite sci-fis published after 1995.

Here are a few goodies that I have read this past year:

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card
    The Golden Globe by John Varley
    Almost anything by Jack McDevitt-Moonfall, Infinity Beach, Ancient Shores
    Starplex and Factoring Humanity by Robert J. Sawyer
    Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear
    The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

Cadfael
    I'm sort of out of the loop myself, but Tad William's 'Otherworld' books are pretty darn smart. I got the first book thinking it was a fantasy book, but I was still impressed.

The main gist of the plot is that there is a whole culture based in Virtual Reality, and something sinister in happening to people who venture into a certain section of the simulated world. The is also some references to other Sci/Fi books, one of the world is based (I think) on Rice Bourrough's Barsoon.

I second the Otherland vote. It has the quest-ish motif of fantasy, but is filled with alot of techie stuff, too (TW was a computer programmer at one time). Damn if it isn't complex, TW may be outdoing his Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series.

I've got to agree with what yall are saying about otherland. Tad's done a great job on that series so far and I'm holding my breath waiting on Sea of Silver Light.

Other than that, to be honest, I've only been reading a sci-fi book here and there over the past couple of years; with the exception of a few on-going series (Bujold's Vor saga and Weber's Honor Harrington series; both of with are excellent). Just seems like the sci-fi genre is a tad flat at this point.

Cadfael
    IMHO the reason the Sci/Fi scene is flat is because of the huge number of TV and movie spin-off material in book shops. In most bookshops I visit the Sci/Fi section is full of Star Wars, Star Trek, X-Files with very little in the way of classic sci/fi. It sells... so the bookshops stock more of the movie/tv stuff

That's so true.

Man, it makes me sad to think of how bookshelves look nowadays (ST, SW, etc etc), and thing back 15 years ago when you could see awesome sci-fi novels piled up high waiting to take you to a new place; one that you've never seen or heard of. I really miss those days.

Thanks for all your recommendations I have to agree with Cellandros and dennizm though, the sci-fi genre seems to be thinning out recently That's one of the reasons I was kinda out of the sf loop. The best vintage for SF in my opinion were those written in the 80's to early 90's by SF greats like the late R. Zelazny, C.J. Cherryh, Stephen Leigh, Joan Slonczewski, Ursula K. LeGuin and Larry Niven.

Do you guys know of any recent SF work (last five years or so) written by these authors?

[This message has been edited by wynterfel (edited January 03, 2001).]

Cadfael
    I THINK Niven has wrote some new Ringworld books, but don't take this as gospel

[This message has been edited by dennizm (edited January 05, 2001).]

Cadfael
    Have you read any older authors, EE 'Doc' Smith, Heinlein, Asimov, Moorcock and of course the master Lovecraft? If not I will start by recommending 'The Classic Lensman Series' by EE 'Doc' Smith

I've read some of Heinlen, Asimov and Moorcock's work. However I never did develop a taste for the work of these authors. I found it hard to 'immerse' myself into the worlds of these authors.

Never heard of EE 'Doc' Smith though. I'll keep a look out for him. Many thanks

The Lensmen is a pretty intersting series, basically creating the whole space opera genre. I think it is the insiration for the comic book hero Green Lantern.

I picked up the first omnibus that the SFBC published a couple of years ago. Pretty light reading, a little dated (I **think** the Lensmen stories were originally published in the 1920's or 1930's) but still worth the read.

Cadfael
    WOW! I had no idea the Lensman series was so old, I no longer have the books, but EE Doc Smith just went up miles in my opinion, if this is the case, they were WAY ahead of their time.

He did two others...'The Family de'Lambert (sp)' series and the.... help FitzFlagg, we need you I have had a think,it was the 'Skylark' series

BTW... thankyou for putting me right about the 'Otherland' books in a painless way

[This message has been edited by dennizm (edited January 05, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by dennizm (edited January 06, 2001).]

Dennizm:

You are right about Skylark but I don't know about the 'The Family de'Lambert. Most of E.E. Doc Smith recently was reprinted..again..I have seen the books on amazon.com and in Barnes & Noble.

What do you mean about Otherland? I like when they are fighting all the cutlery tribes in the kitchen. Sounds funny, but it was good.

Cadfael
    I was refering to our conversation in 'Nitpicking Editor Here' in the Comments section of the forum, where I stated how offended I would be if somebody picked me up on spelling.

When I recommended the TW books I got the name wrong, and you quite rightly made sure that Wynterfel was aware of the correct name. I think it is important to make sure recommendations are accurate, but don't do it again OKAY!!!!! <kidding>