Hybrid View

Best of 2011 and Hugo predictions?

Any predictions or ideas for 2012 Hugos?

Will the best novel be science fiction (as opposed to fantasy, alt history, YA)?

I'd be VERY pleased to see Leviathan Wakes on the list, I expected Stephenson's Reamde to be on the list as well as Jo Walton's Among Us. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Among Us actually won the award. Many, many critics were giving it the highest praise early in 2011.

Though I haven't read them yet, I also think Leviathan Wakes and Among Others are serious contenders for the awards this year. Not so sure about Reamde, which I'm not even sure is F/SF. I found it OK, but not up to Anathem or Cryptonomicon, for instance.

Two other books that I'd be surprised if they didn't appear in many shortlists this year are Embassytown by China Miéville and Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

I'm still reading 2011 releases, but if I had to nominate today (luckily, I still have more than two months) these would my 5 novels:

* Ready Player One, by Ernest Cline
    * Embassytown, by China Miéville
    * The Map of Time, by Félix J. Palma
    * The Clockwork Rocket, by Greg Egan
    * The Magician King, by Lev Grossman

I'm half my way through Seed by Rob Ziegler and it has many possibilities of making my final list.

Read interesting books
    Regardless of any merit, I predict Scalzi and Grossman will be on the Hugo novel list and most likely Stross too if eligible for anything; given the popularity of Tor.com, i think the personal unpopularity of Jo walton will also be cancelled out and Among Others will be considered too.
    As for best, Hugo have not been about that in decades so it's an irrelevant discussion

Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    Stross too if eligible for anything
    Rule 34, at least, is eligible.

Edit: Oh, and "Bit Rot" included in Engineering Infinity. I did like that one.

Who is in the 'big name that published' category this year?

Neal Stephenson and George Martin come to mind.

Scalzi might also fit into this category.

edit: Robert Charles Wilson seems to be out by publishing the third in a series, while Robert J. Sawyer did not publish anything.
    Last edited by Seli; January 2nd, 2012 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    . . . i think the personal unpopularity of Jo walton will also be cancelled out and Among Others will be considered too.
    As for best, Hugo have not been about that in decades so it's an irrelevant discussion
    I hate to ask, because I'm reading Jo Walton's book now and I'm really liking it, but why is she personally unpopular?

Quote Originally Posted by AuntiePam View Post
    I hate to ask, because I'm reading Jo Walton's book now and I'm really liking it, but why is she personally unpopular?
    Is she? I didn't know.

Read interesting books
    Quote Originally Posted by AuntiePam View Post
    Google is your friend here - as a hint try Hugo acceptance speech