Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by odo View Post
    Yes, I think so. But The Islanders may well make it to the BSFA or the Arthur C. Clarke.
    I'd guess The Islanders will get the Zoo City treatment.

I started reading Leviathan Wakes by James S.A. Corey.
    It is a page turner so far. Too early to say much more than that.
    The question is - If Leviathan Wakes wins, who get the award?

Nominated for best novel:

Among Others, Jo Walton
    A Dance With Dragons, George R. R. Martin
    Deadline, Mira Grant
    Embassytown, China Miéville
    Leviathan Wakes, James S. A. Corey

I liked The Magician King better than Leviathan Wakes.
    Didn't Mira Grant almost win last year?

Quote Originally Posted by cgw View Post
    I liked The Magician King better than Leviathan Wakes.
    Didn't Mira Grant almost win last year?
    I think she came second in the count back.

A predictable short list, IMHO, but not a bad one. I'd probably like to see Leviathan Wakes win because my personal preference is for the Hugo to recognize SF, even though I liked A Dance With Dragons very much.

Is this a reflection on the state of science fiction? Is hard scifi down or has the market held steady and it just looks down because fantasy etc. has blown right by it?

cgw, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Science fiction has always held sway at the Hugos. Fantasy often has trouble getting taken seriously. Three of the books on the list this year are SF, and while they may not be "hard" like books from the golden age, they aren't slouches either. Embassytown takes a pretty interesting look at language and Leviathan Wakes is a classic space opera story.

And yes, Feed nearly won last year. I was surprised to see Deadline on the list as it seemed to me that it wasn't quite as popular as the first book.

Part of why, IMHO, Feed may have generated more perceived buzz than Deadlin is because Feed took so many people by surprise and storm.

As for the short list, the only one I didn't read was Embassytown but I'd be happy with any of them winning as I enjoyed all four IMMENSELY.

Quote Originally Posted by beniowa View Post
    cgw, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Science fiction has always held sway at the Hugos. Fantasy often has trouble getting taken seriously. Three of the books on the list this year are SF, and while they may not be "hard" like books from the golden age, they aren't slouches either. .
    What is the third?
    I over looked Embassytown because I was think of Miéville as a fantasy writer. My error.
    Among Others - fantasy?
    A Dance With Dragons - fantasy
    Deadline - horror?
    Leviathan Wakes - scifi

Deadline is Science Fiction / Horror hybrid. The spine of the book says "SCIENCE FICTION" so the publishers and authors consider it SF.

The winner is:
    Among Others by Jo Walton

Anyone read it?

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Yes, and I loved it. I am aware that the book has some of negative reviews, mostly about the lack of a plot, the relatively weak ending and the main character who readers find annoying and unrealistic. I guess the main attraction to the jury was in the numerous references to classic titles and the importance of libraries and fan clubs.

I'm not in that camp, I had problems with a couple of scenes (her aunts and a trip with her dad) but really I hope there will be a sequel.

Yeah, I've read it. I sort of fall into the camp that algernoninc was talking about. While I quite enjoyed the book, I did feel that it was a little lacking. Because other than the SF references there really isn't much to the book. Everything else just feels tacked on to justify calling it a novel.

I suppose there could be a sequel, but it didn't feel like it would go that route. Especially as this book is already sort of a sequel or at least an "after" story.

Quote Originally Posted by beniowa View Post
    While I quite enjoyed the book, I did feel that it was a little lacking. Because other than the SF references there really isn't much to the book.
    That was my first impression, too. But now, two months after I finished the book, it has really grown on me. I think that it is much deeper than it seems. There is the question of whether what Mor writes in her diary (about magic and the fairies) is a true account of actual facts or just her interpretation. And that ties nicely (in my opinion) with her passionate love of science fiction. I could elaborate, but it would be too "spoilery".

Quote Originally Posted by odo View Post
    That was my first impression, too. But now, two months after I finished the book, it has really grown on me. I think that it is much deeper than it seems. There is the question of whether what Mor writes in her diary (about magic and the fairies) is a true account of actual facts or just her interpretation. And that ties nicely (in my opinion) with her passionate love of science fiction. I could elaborate, but it would be too "spoilery".
    No, I get what you're saying and I got all that. There's also the idea that
    Spoiler:
    whether any of that stuff is real at all or just a delusion created by Mor's mind
    . It just didn't gel for me as much as I feel that it's been done better by other authors.

It's still a pretty good book.