Hybrid View

HBO's Game of Thrones on DVD

I do a lot of shopping on Amazon - instant video as well as books - and always get emails from them trying to sell me something. One thing that caught my attention recently is the HBO 1st season of Game of Thrones that they're already selling to be released on DVD early this new year.
    I've searched the web and watched quite a few trailers of this series, but find myself reluctant to buy. I can't say I've been much impressed with the trailers.
    So, I was hoping to get some opinions here from any fans that actually have seen this series for themselves.

I suggest you read the book series.

The trailers don't do it justice because it's the story that is powerful and compelling, not the actors, the sets etc. So, yeah. Read the books

I think it's great, but really if you've never seen even an episode I wouldn't suggest you buy the DVD set as you won't know what you're in for.

If you have the ability to watch HBO (US), Sky Atlantic (UK) or any channel in your country where Game of Thrones is broadcast, I would at least wait until you can catch a repeat of the first couple of episodes. If you go in beyond the first few, I don't think you'd get a great idea of the show.

I have read the books - all of them - at least twice.
    I know the story well. I was more interested in the opinions of others who've read the books and seen the HBO series.
    How well is it done? Accuracy to the books?. Character portayals? . . etc.
    I think I've watched every trailer out there and it's hard to really get a sense of the quality. I do know I didn't much care for some of the actors they chose.
    I'd really like to know if it's worth buying now or if I should just wait till I can see it for cheap down the road.

I can't speak for the accuracy, but I do know the feedback here was largely positive and I thought most of the characters were great.

Trailers don't do much beyond raise interest. You really need to sit down and watch the first episode or two.