Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HBO's Game of Thrones on DVD

I do a lot of shopping on Amazon - instant video as well as books - and always get emails from them trying to sell me something. One thing that caught my attention recently is the HBO 1st season of Game of Thrones that they're already selling to be released on DVD early this new year.
    I've searched the web and watched quite a few trailers of this series, but find myself reluctant to buy. I can't say I've been much impressed with the trailers.
    So, I was hoping to get some opinions here from any fans that actually have seen this series for themselves.

I suggest you read the book series.

The trailers don't do it justice because it's the story that is powerful and compelling, not the actors, the sets etc. So, yeah. Read the books

I think it's great, but really if you've never seen even an episode I wouldn't suggest you buy the DVD set as you won't know what you're in for.

If you have the ability to watch HBO (US), Sky Atlantic (UK) or any channel in your country where Game of Thrones is broadcast, I would at least wait until you can catch a repeat of the first couple of episodes. If you go in beyond the first few, I don't think you'd get a great idea of the show.

I have read the books - all of them - at least twice.
    I know the story well. I was more interested in the opinions of others who've read the books and seen the HBO series.
    How well is it done? Accuracy to the books?. Character portayals? . . etc.
    I think I've watched every trailer out there and it's hard to really get a sense of the quality. I do know I didn't much care for some of the actors they chose.
    I'd really like to know if it's worth buying now or if I should just wait till I can see it for cheap down the road.

I can't speak for the accuracy, but I do know the feedback here was largely positive and I thought most of the characters were great.

Trailers don't do much beyond raise interest. You really need to sit down and watch the first episode or two.

I would say very accurate to the books, surprisingly so. There are some added new scenes but they tend to be very well-done. The most irritating inaccuracy was Roz the Exposition Whore but whatever, there were bound to be a couple let-downs.

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    The books are some of the best in the entire fantasy genre, and the show is one of the best TV shows of all time. Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Agent View Post
    The books are some of the best in the entire fantasy genre, and the show is one of the best TV shows of all time. Enough said.
    I agree with you on the books - which is why I've read them twice - and thanks for the opinion on the shows. And thanks to saintjon as well.
    I think I will go ahead and order the box set then. $45 isn't too bad, but I still have to wait for March 6 for release.
    Oh, one other question; how far does the first season cover as far as the books go ?

Saturn Comes Back Around Evil Agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cohelian View Post
    I agree with you on the books - which is why I've read them twice - and thanks for the opinion on the shows. And thanks to saintjon as well.
    I think I will go ahead and order the box set then. $45 isn't too bad, but I still have to wait for March 6 for release.
    Oh, one other question; how far does the first season cover as far as the books go ?
    As a reader of the books, I'm surprised you haven't watched the show yet. It covers the first book, and is very faithful. There are some changes and additions, however, and not all of these are great. In short, it's not perfect, it has some flaws, but it's pretty awesome.

Anyways, in this day and age you can always download it first, to check it out.
    Last edited by Evil Agent; January 6th, 2012 at 06:56 PM.

I'll express a slightly dissenting view. I would say it somewhat depends on what you'd like to get out of an adaption of a book as to whether you'll really go all out for A Game of Thrones. I found it lacking.

For me, to be a successful adaptation of a book, the show or movie needs to somehow utilize the strengths of its medium to somehow enhance what the book is already doing or in some other way bring something more to the table. For instance, Jackson's LOTR movies take some themes from the book and really accentuate them in various ways. In the end, though I thought there were some (fairly serious) missteps along the way, the movies stand on their own as something I enjoy coming back to over and over again almost as much as the books.

I don't feel that HBO's AGOT does this. I found it to be so very faithful to the books that it didn't really do anything else with the material. And then, given budgetary constraints, a lot of the locales, set pieces, etc. seemed very small. The grand tournaments feel small, the big battle of note is done off camera, the Dothraki horde seems puny.

I understand that a lot of people may be somehow upset by my opinion, but don't be. It's just one person's opinion. I'm not saying that it isn't a successful TV show. And had I not read the books, I think I'd have found it fabulous. But given what I can conjure up on my own when reading the book, I find the show to be merely adequate, FOR ME.

Nope, we don't support that here. I'm sure it's available to be legally streamed from certain sites, but I highly doubt there's anywhere you can legally download it.

As a reader of the books, I'm surprised you haven't watched the show yet.
    Was it a couple years ago? when I read something about HBO possibly making a series? but I never really thought it would happen.
    I forgot about it and got on with life. I don't watch TV at all. I don't even own a TV. I get all of my entertainment from the net. Any TV shows I watch comes from Netflix or Amazon Instant Video. When TV started all the reality show BS I lost all interest in it and the cost of cable or a sat dish turned me off TV even more. I've been happy with the entertainment I get from Netflix and Amazon, but it does mean I've missed some things, obviously.
    I never even knew HBO had actually done it until I got an email from Amazon trying to sell me the boxed set of season 1. I was very surprised and immediately started googling it to check it out.
    I did actually check out several sites that claimed to have the show on streaming, but most of them say they can't stream it to the U.S.
    Other sites claiming they can stream it here want me to download programs
    to run it that my anti-virus software warns me against installing. I've already had two computers infected so badly they wouldn't even boot up again. I won't chance that again. I can't afford to buy another new computer in this economy.
    I'll wait another few months and watch the DVD's. Anticipation is sometimes half the fun. And who knows, perhaps before long I'll be able to get the next season on Amazon Instant Video. They are pretty good about getting popular new shows up.
    Thanks again for your replies.

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    I would say very accurate to the books, surprisingly so. There are some added new scenes but they tend to be very well-done. The most irritating inaccuracy was Roz the Exposition Whore but whatever, there were bound to be a couple let-downs.
    What's this about Roz the Exposition Whore?

Rogue Warrior
    I seen the first scene on youtube, and thats pretty much how I pictured it. I don't know when I'll be able to see the first season.