Thread: Music Festivals

Music Festivals

I went to T In the Park up in Scotland last weekend and I have to to say it was awsome. For those of you who don't know T In The Park is sort of Scotland's Glastonbury only, in my opinion the line-up was better

I saw all these bands:

Coldplay, REM, The Flamming Lips, Ildewild, Feeder, Super Furry Animals, The Charlatans, Supergrass, Feeder, The Cardigans, The Proclaimers, The Coral, Biffy Clyro, The Darkness, Sugarbabes, Longview, Turin Brakes, Hell is for Heroes, Ok Go, 80s Matchbox B-Line Disarster and The Zutons.

There weren't all great but I saw alot of great big bands and some really cool small ones as well. I'm not a huge Coldplay fan but I have to say they were very very good. REM were also good and "It's the end of the world as we know it" was probably the best song of the whole festival.

It was the first festival I've ever been to and I will certainly try and do some more next year, I'm also doing Reading in a few weeks. Hopefully next year I'll be able to get Glastonbury tickets

Does anyone else here regularly do festivals or have ever been to festivals?

All-powerful Dragonqueen Giroth's Avatar
    I'm going to a music festival in 5 daysCampign and all that good stuffI'll be seeing;

Rebecca St. James
    Third Day
    Newsboys
    tobyMac
    MercyMe
    Relient K
    Paul Colman Trio
    The David Crowder Band
    Joy Williams
    Jeremy Camp
    Chica
    Chris Tomlin
    4Him
    Petra
    Sixpence None the Richer
    ZOEgirl
    Michael W. Smith
    Lincoln Brewster
    Kutless
    Grits
    John Reuben
    Superchic[k]
    KJ-52
    The Benjamin Gate
    Sanctus Real
    Holland
    Watashi Wa
    Cadet
    Five Iron Frenzy
    Justifide
    Ace Troubleshooter
    Number One Gun
    PAX217
    Pillar
    Bob Smiley (comedy)
    Justin McRoberts
    Rachael Lampa
    Riley Armstrong
    Paul Aldrich (comedy)
    Daren Streblow (comedy)
    Taylor Mason (comedy)
    TAIT (Michael Tait & band)
    Shaun Groves
    Big Daddy Weave
    Alathea
    ApologetiX
    Lil i ROCC
    Royal Ruckus
    Bean & Bailey (comedy)
    Isaac Air Freight (comedy)
    Paul Wright
    Everyone

It'll be sweet

You lucky Bastard. You got to see the Flaming Lips! It's been two years since they've come anywhere near my town, and I love watching their shows (I'm a big fan of their music, too). I've also heard that Super Furry Animals are great live, but I haven't caught them yet. How were they overall?

And I did get to catch the South By Southwest Festival 2 years back (It's probably the biggest music festival in the U.S.), and it was a blast. Got to see tons of bands I'd been wanting to watch.

LOL the funny thing is,I bet VERY FEW of you have ever heard of ANY of the bands I mentioned.............heheheh

You lucky Bastard. You got to see the Flaming Lips! It's been two years since they've come anywhere near my town, and I love watching their shows (I'm a big fan of their music, too). I've also heard that Super Furry Animals are great live, but I haven't caught them yet. How were they overall?
    The Flamming Lips were pretty good, but I missed half their set because the White Stripes pulled out and the Flamming Lips moved into their slot instead on a different stage and by the time we realised where they were they had already started!

The Super Furrys were great, they are one of my fav bands anyway but I'd never seen them live before and they played great music and were damn funny too. They even dressed up in their "Golden Retriever" outfits and jumped around on stage during the Flamming Lips' set with all the other furry animals the 'lips have

LOL the funny thing is,I bet VERY FEW of you have ever heard of ANY of the bands I mentioned....
    Sixpence None the Richer are the only ones I've heard of

Oh and by the way plenty of other bands played T in the Park, but I couldn't see them all. For me probably the best bands were:

Coldplay, REM, Feeder, The Super Furry Animals, The Flamming Lips, Biffy Clyro and The Darkness (who are brilliant by the way, they are a sort of parody 80s rock outfit, strait out of Spinal Tap).

Banned
    Looks like mostly Christian Bands! Heeeheheheh! Whatever that means!

I would go to any festival that has Radiohead playing. Other than that I don't listen to "POP" music anymore! '

I know, how wildly eccentric of me!

heheheh,yeah there IS such a thing as a Christian band,flint.Think about what you may listen to,rock,or whatever,and just throw a positive christian message in it and you got a christian band.And yes,there are even christian rappers.

there's loads of christian bands, and some of them quite famous I believe. Wasn't there big thing about that "evanescence" (sp?) mband marketing themselfs as a christian band and then turning out to be not very christian and they got boycotted in some places in the states?

Hmpffffffff - Coldplay, REM, The Flamming Lips, Feeder, Charlatans AND Supergrass?

Very dissatisfied SA here mate!

Though I have seen some good live performances (not at festivals per se, usually the festivals I go to are more local guys) like U2, Skunk Anansie, Garbage, Placebo, Rolling Stones etc etc etc

Hmm...

I come from a small country (Norway), we have a decent festival culture, though, I was at the Quart a couple of years back and saw D'Angelo, unforgettable. Otherwise I've mostly been to jazz festivals, often more rewarding because you very rarely get "hyped" jazz cats, i.e. people who are not really great, but get attention because of looks, controversial or provocative aspects of the artist and so on. Jazz musicians are, typically, extremely proficient, and playing the music they love is what it's about for them (otherwise they wouldn't have been playing jazz!), so concerts tend to be great.

To the Christian band thing:
    Creed were (still are?) big a couple of years ago, they are christian if I'm not mistaken, so is P.O.D.

Now, I'm a christian, but mostly, I can't stand so-called "christian bands". When they call themselves that, often what it means is they belong to the "right-wing, conservative, homophobic, NRA-loving, yes to death penalty, and God is American"-movement, which pretty much runs much of USA (George W.).

If I want christian music, I'll listen to Bach or sing psalms. And music's value or quality is not measured by what faith it represents. I immediately get defensive when I feel that someone tries to use their art to impose their personal viewpoints or beliefs on me, regardless of whether I agree with them or not.

Hope I'm not sounding too angry here, not my intention (although I have been told that I often come across as angry when I'm really not).

Greetings
    Artaxiad

I see where you going there,but not all christian bands are all conservative.Right off the bat,a guy named kevin max
    ,who is a member of a very popular christian band,is actually liberal.he is also against the war.
    There are plenty of other cases,too.though they are all christian and in the muisc biz,they are all separate people,and still have different views

Just thought I'd dig this thread out again I as I went Reading Festival last weekend. The music wasn't half as good as T In the Park but the atmosphere was awsome, so many meetings with random people

Anyway I saw some bands that were quie good and some that weren't:

Metallica - A bit dissapointing, I don't know alot of their stuff but I do know 'the classics' and they seemed to play alot of new stuff which wasn't very good and alot of old stuff that wasn't very good. QUite frankly boring really, they did play a 2 hour set and it all seemed a bit samey. Still, good stage presence and they worked the crowd well.

Blur - Again a bit dissapointing, they played alot of new stuff and alot of random album tracks off of old albums (mostl Modern Life is Rubbish) rather than going for the 'classics' which is a shame because there so many classics. I guess they get fed up with playing the same songs though.There was no Country House, No Coffee and TV and they only did half did Parklife. Too many missing classics to mention.

Beck - Probably the most enjoyable artist of the festival, I had no real preconceptions and I don't know alot of his stuff but he was damn good. He played a pretty nuts combination of Sex Laws, that Beyonce song, that Nelly 'it's getting hot in hear' one and the 'they're not gonna get us' on by tatu. It was crazy but surprisingly good.

Doves - Good

the Libertines - not bad but they are overly hyped as the 'next big thing' they have a few good songs but the rest is a bit samey.

System of a Down - Good, probably my fav's out of the nu metal type bands arond at the moment.

PRIMAL SCREAM - Good.

THE ALL AMERICAN REJECTS - crap

BIFFY CLYRO - good

THE THRILLS - not bad but a bit overated in my opinion.

Stellastarr - very good, I hadn't heard much before but I was very impressed.

My Morning Jacket - I'd never heard of them before but they were seriously good. Kind of Indie rock with a bit of country thrown in.

Longview - good

I think that's all I saw. The line up really wasn't all that great. I didn't have tickits for the Friday, only Saturday and Sunday but the Friday line up was awful. Only people I really wanted to see were Placebo, The Darkness (who I've seen before) and maybe Blink 182. Linkin Park were headlining for god's sake.

this is really good. naormally i used to go music festivals regularly...

Hi Hungry Jo,
    Though I have missed this music festival but I will be kind if you will share some pictures or video of this music festival. Thanks in advance for any input and like to say music is great for health as listening your favorite music tracks will improve your mood and prevent you from high blood pressure, depression, obesity, stroke and some cancers.
    Libertyville Chiropractor
    ------------------------
    Atkinson Chiropractic
    15 Commerce Drive #108 Grayslake, IL 60030 (847)-223-3158
    Last edited by Reginalde; October 12th, 2013 at 07:55 AM.