Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks all, I will follow carefully your suggestions for hyperion, as i said, I liked it but it is too hyperbolesk if i can use this word, too much unrealistic for me somehow. Lets say that I like classic ingredients in SF (some would say cheesy ingredients) and hyperion is not with classic ingredients in my perspective, even if I think the world Dan simmons created is specifically impressive and rich. For dune, the movie gave me a picture for the book so it was easier. Even if the sequels were much less interesting. I have read these books in my mother tongue language so as well it is important to know. Anyway you already gave me something to feed my appetite for SF so all good, i will a try to all what you mentioned. Seems that Im alreday hooked to the reality dysfunction after one evening a book I have bought after reading this forum.

I like the League of Peoples series, by James Alan Gardner. I picked up Radiant at a book sale, and bought the rest of the series to read in the same year. The first book in the series is Expendable, and the heroine, Festina Ramos, is one of my favourite female characters in SF.
    Last edited by EllenS; January 31st, 2012 at 09:05 PM.

Hi all,

Just to give some news about my Sci-fi "restart" ! I'm totally hooked by the dawn trilogy of Peter hamilton I have read the reality disfunction and I'm starting the second book, the neutrinium alchemist. It is quite impressive I must admit Almost perfect for me

thanks again for all advices !

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Good to hear it, Dakota!

There's lots of great stuff out there to try: enjoy!

Mark
    Mark

I'm reading Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds now, and I love the space stuff, and I love the ideas, but man, this dialogue is painfully bad.

edit: I should specify, the dramatic dialogue is painfully bad, as opposed to the technical dialogue.

double edit: I'm nearing the last quarter of the book and wow, this is pretty crazy. Fun stuff!
    Last edited by Danogzilla; February 25th, 2012 at 10:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Hi all,

Just to give some news about my Sci-fi "restart" ! I'm totally hooked by the dawn trilogy of Peter hamilton I have read the reality disfunction and I'm starting the second book, the neutrinium alchemist. It is quite impressive I must admit Almost perfect for me

thanks again for all advices !
    Mr. Dakota. Get ready for a nice ride. Mr. Hamilton's Night's Dawn series is very, very good. =)

I still dream about that series from time to time.

Wildrunner
    Well the two best places to get sci-fi books are Tor and Baen. Baen is the cheaper of the two since they sell their books in bundles that average $3.50 per book. Some of the best know authors in Sci-fi books are:

Author Best known for

Ray Bradbury Farenheight 451
    Arthur C. Clark 2001: A Space Oddosy
    Philip Dick Blade Runner and Total Recall

Some of the best know current authors, those that are still living include:

Orson Scott Card Ender Series
    David Weber Honor Harringtion

Quote Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
    Well the two best places to get sci-fi books are Tor and Baen. Baen is the cheaper of the two since they sell their books in bundles that average $3.50 per book.
    I second this. Tor has been a great publisher and I haven't often been disappointed by their books.

Anything they decide to publish should be decent. And with most books having the 1st chapter online now a days its easy to see if its something you want to read or not.

I remember reading the 1st 10 pages of Reality Dysfunction and deciding to buy it. I also remember my 1st exposure to R. R. Martin's work -- oddly enough in Dance of Dragons b/c SFBC sent it when I forgot to cancel with them. I read a mere 1 page and immediately closed the book, vowing to start at the begining. OOoh oooh oooh! And then Charles de Lint's The Little Country was a winner from page 10. =) And then Quest for the Faradawn was a winner on page 10 (granted, I was 13 when I read it).

By contrast, reading Mercedes Lackey.... Oh man... what a horrible 30 pages. I am so glad I have made myself OK with admitting that I will never finish or read a book if it sucks. I credit the terrible film Jason X for this virtue. That film was TERRIBLE.

If you have been reading SF for a while, you can pick out the winners in the 1st few pages. Considering, sadly, that 90% of SF is CRAP, its good to trust what folks here say and to not be afraid of closing the book on a bad read.

Blog Entries
    Once I finish the Night's Dawn Trilogy (probably sometime next year!) I've been thinking of trying something by Ian Banks or Alistair Reynolds. Any recommendations on where to start? Of the space operas (using the widest interpretation, I know how you guys like to argue about it) I've read so far the ones I've liked the most were:

The Commonwealth and Void series by Peter Hamilton (and eventually the Night's Dawn Trilogy, I'm 600 pages into The Reality Disfunction and if the rest of the ride ahead is this good I'll move the series to the head of the list!).

The Hyperion/Endymion series by Dan Simmons

The Gap Series by Stephen Donaldson

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Try A Fire Upon the Deep and A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge.

If you like them then try a few Iain M Banks. If you like the conflict in Peter Hamilton's stuff then Consider Phlebas would be a good place to start or Use of Weapons. Or get his little book The State of the Art for a style taster.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
    I read a mere 1 page and immediately closed the book, vowing to start at the begining. OOoh oooh oooh!
    That delicious feeling when you realise you may have identified a new author you will really like and the even better moment when you check online and discover there's a whole back catalogue you can work your way through in the ensuing months. Bliss!

Quote Originally Posted by JustIntonation View Post
    That delicious feeling when you realise you may have identified a new author you will really like and the even better moment when you check online and discover there's a whole back catalogue you can work your way through in the ensuing months. Bliss!
    That would be Eric Brown for me!

Quote Originally Posted by DennisC View Post
    Mr. Dakota. Get ready for a nice ride. Mr. Hamilton's Night's Dawn series is very, very good. =)

I still dream about that series from time to time.
    That was not even a nice ride Mr Dennis, that was a cosmic orgasm

Just finished today, I read the 20 last pages of "The Naked God" on my way to work with a little tear in my eye Josua, Ione, Louise, Fletcher..they will stay in my dream for some nights lol !

I strongly advise Night's dawn trilogy...Just Epic and Never boring ! A lot of characters and point of views at the beginning but easy to read finally ! A brilliant Idea, a bit of Political and Religious thoughts and not too slow paced despite the length of the 3 books ! A nice piece of Science fiction ! Maybe a quick end but how can you complain after such a read ??!

Just went to my closer Waterstone shop and bought The Commonwealth saga (pandora's box and Judas unchained) For people who have read it, how do you rate it compare to Night's dawn Trilogy ? and the Void series, how do you rate it ?

I think I will stay on Hamilton for now as he hooked me strongly Will tell you more about my progression

Thank you all again for the advises

Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Just went to my closer Waterstone shop and bought The Commonwealth saga (pandora's box and Judas unchained) For people who have read it, how do you rate it compare to Night's dawn Trilogy ? and the Void series, how do you rate it ?

I think I will stay on Hamilton for now as he hooked me strongly Will tell you more about my progression

Thank you all again for the advises
    I agree, Hamilton is one of the best at Epic Space Operas. I actually got hooked with Pandora's Star and have since moved on to read Judas, the Void trilogy, and the Night's Dawn saga. I plan on reading all his novels one day.

I think that Night's Dawn is slightly better than the Commonwealth Saga, but if you'd ask me on a different day I might tell you the opposite. I never really wanted either to end.
    Last edited by krisbslick; March 28th, 2012 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDCOrange View Post
    Once I finish the Night's Dawn Trilogy (probably sometime next year!) I've been thinking of trying something by Ian Banks or Alistair Reynolds. Any recommendations on where to start? Of the space operas (using the widest interpretation, I know how you guys like to argue about it) I've read so far the ones I've liked the most were:

The Commonwealth and Void series by Peter Hamilton (and eventually the Night's Dawn Trilogy, I'm 600 pages into The Reality Disfunction and if the rest of the ride ahead is this good I'll move the series to the head of the list!).

The Hyperion/Endymion series by Dan Simmons

The Gap Series by Stephen Donaldson
    Mr. DDCOrange: Brace yourself, I and one other have agreed that the Reality Dysfunction is the least of the 3 books in Night's Dawn. ;-) Oh, yea, it gets better. Its true Space Opera - sprawling, at times its like a love story, others like a military novel... Its just a really wonderful read. Oh, and I have been told that Nights Dawn is the least of his works. ;-) Happy reading.

It really is a wonderful feeling to get a new author and find that big back catalog of work to read. Jack McDevitt, R.R. Martin, and Mr. Hamilton are my current 3 who I am bouncing around between. R.R. Martin was a real shock as I was shipped book 5 by the idiots at the Science Fiction Book Club. Who the hell ships that as a featured selection?? But, at that time I figured I would try a series in the middle (never a good idea it seems). I got through 1 page of his book and closed it, vowing to get book 1. =)