Looking for Book set in normal world with a main character with advanced intelligence

I'm looking for something very specific. I want a book set in an almost normal world, but with a main character with super intelligence (and possibly other abilities). I would prefer if his origins are a mystery, whether it be genetic experiment, religionious advancement into the next sphere of existence or anything like that. I watched several tv series that were never finished that was similar and now I want to read nothing else. The shows were Kyle XY and John Doe if that helps.

The Fourth R, by George Oliver Smith
    http://www.gutenberg.org/files/18602...-h/18602-h.htm

His origins are not a mystery. But it is from 1959 so it is not exactly present day normal.

psik

More Than Human Theodore Sturgeon
    Carrie Stephen King
    Dying Inside Robert Silverberg
    Akira (manga film)
    Last edited by Ropie; May 18th, 2014 at 03:09 AM.

Some of these sound interesting, but most of them are older works. Does anyone know of anything a bit more recent?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamheart View Post
    Some of these sound interesting, but most of them are older works. Does anyone know of anything a bit more recent?
    Ender's Game or Ender's Shadow might fit the bill, if you haven't already read them.

I read all of the Ender books. They were awesome. Sorry I didn't think to mention that. I'd even go for Tv shows in the same vein. I've already watched the pretender, John Doe, Kyle Xy. Sadly most of those go cancelled

Slan AE van Vogt

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmouse View Post
    Slan AE van Vogt
    The first book that came to mind was "Supermind" by A. E. Van Vogt. I think there was another one along the same lines. "Changeling" perhaps?

Urban Fantasy?

Wouldn't that fall under urban fantasy? Or is there an urban Sci-fi also? Sorry, from a writer's stand point I'm still getting used to all the genres out there. Every time I look, a new sub-genre seems to pop up. Just a question as I'm writing a few of my own contemporaries and don't know to count it fantasy or sci-fi. Mine just might be considered Supernatural though I tend to shy away from books under that heading. What do you call angels and demons fighting over the human race in a modern setting? I'm sorry, not trying to get off topic. I just thought you might post the question on the fantasy side but if I'm wrong, forgive me for barging in. I'm kinda new to forums. I even checked to make sure the date was correct. I didn't want to be accused of necro posting again. I've never heard the term before, but they seemed to have acted as though I committed a grave sin. Personally I'm kinda scared to go back. Sorry enough about me, I was trying to help you. By the way, sounds like several movies/tv shows I've seen :-)

Quote Originally Posted by VallyNicky View Post
    What do you call angels and demons fighting over the human race in a modern setting?
    FANTASY! That is fantasy regardless of the setting.

Try this for weirdness claiming to not be fantasy or science fiction.

The idea for Stelle (pronounced stell) emerged in 1963, when Mr. Kieninger, under the pen name Eklal Kueshana, published “The Ultimate Frontier,” a book about a young man who was instructed by an ancient “Brotherhood” of scientist-philosophers to build a new nation based on karmic principles and the Golden Rule.

Seven years later, Mr. Kieninger, a Chicago native, along with a band of mostly 20-somethings who had come from the hippie counterculture and looked the part until Mr. Kieninger mandated mainstream dress, bought a 240-acre farm in Ford County and began building Stelle. He prophesied the settlement would grow into a city of 250,000.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/07/us/07cncstelle.html

http://www.amazon.com/The-Ultimate-F.../dp/0963225200

psik

Brain Wave by Poul Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Pennarin View Post
    Brain Wave by Poul Anderson
    But EVERYBODY became abnormal in that story.

psik

Flowers for Algernon. Daniel Keyes

A one-off, of course, rather than an on-going series...but a wonderful book, I think.