Best imagined future in scifi novels

Looking for books with the most in depth future. thinking in terms of game of thrones depth but science fiction. perhaps books with the best world building, other examples that gave off this vibe was the void trilogy, quantum thief, and dune to name a few. doesn't have to be space opera but sci fi future that is well imagined.

I can't comment on Game of Thrones but what about the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson?

psik
    Last edited by psikeyhackr; December 4th, 2013 at 05:30 PM.

A few that come immediately to mind:
    The Gap Cycle by Stephen R Donaldson
    The Culture series by Iain M Banks
    Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds
    The Nights Dawn trilogy and The Commonwealth duology by Peter F Hamilton

These are all very popular and well imagined series.

As far as far reaching in depth imagined future I would have to say the Golden Age Trilogy. It takes place 10's of thousands of years into the future but seems like a plausible imaginings of the day to day life that far into the future. It also speculates into the endstate of the universe with many predictions of happenings quintillions of years down the road after the heat death of the universe and where all matter has been absorbed by black holes then spewed forth as Hawking radiation and that where the only intelligence is a universe spanning supercomputer thinking by exchanging minute traces of heat in the near absolute nothingness.

I was awed at the imagination of the author at writing this trilogy. I hold it as one of my all time favorites in science fiction.

I had never heard of John C Wright. The series looks really interesting. Just picked up the Golden Age ebook. Thanks for the recommendation!

Anything by Neal Stephenson, but Snow Crash and The Diamond Age stand out for detailed futures. Both books are great reads - not everything about either book hangs completely together, but the worlds are very impressive.

The Uplift series by David Brin. He has an interesting perspective.

South End of South Mountain, Pennsylvania
    The most in-depth sci-fi "world" I have found is the grimdark future defined by the Black Library. The background was originally created for their Warhammer 40k table-top game, but their publishing arm took off and created a very deep, and disturbing, vision of the future. While many of the elements are knock-off's of other science fiction, the history they created from the year 30k to 40k is amazing.

Granted, it is not something created by a single author. However, their Horus Heresy series (which has about 20 books in it so far) is a collaborative effort and no single author veers too far off the established history.

While some of the authors are *meh* and many of the books are hardcore military sci-fi, you will find some great gems, such as the Horus Heresy series, Eisenhorn Trilogy, Ravenor Trilogy, anything by Sandy Mitchell (the Ciaphas Cain books), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by JMichael View Post
    The Uplift series by David Brin. He has an interesting perspective.
    Especially #3 The Uplift War.

psik

Poul Anderson's Polesotechnic League / Terran Empire series are enjoyable enough and there's plenty of material.

There's also the obvious suggestion of Baxter's Xeelee books.

The Past Through Tomorrow, Heinlein's collection of future history

I second Neal Stephenson even though I haven't gotten around to reading his books yet.