Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rogue Warrior
    I'd like to find some cool scifi where its like Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. Successful bank robbers, maybe ex special forces type, is anything like that out there?

I guess I'll add, ya know is there more stuff like Woodings Retribution Falls? etc
    Last edited by Kazz Wylde; August 28th, 2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by Kazz Wylde View Post
    I'd like to find some cool scifi where its like Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. Successful bank robbers, maybe ex special forces type, is anything like that out there?
    In light of the recent passing of the great Harry Harrison, you may want to consider the Stainless Steel Rat series. (the first 3 at least)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stainless_Steel_Rat

From the original publisher's blurb:
    We must be as stealthy as rats in the wainscoting of their society. It was easier in the old days, of course, and society had more rats when the rules were looser, just as old wooden buildings have more rats than concrete buildings. But there are rats in the building now as well. Now that society is all ferrocrete and stainless steel there are fewer gaps in the joints. It takes a very smart rat indeed to find these openings. Only a stainless steel rat can be at home in this environment.

Rogue Warrior
    Thanks for this, Jim, I'll check it out.
    Anyone else have any ideas?

I really haven't read a sci-fi book in a while (maybe a year) that has really stayed with me. Last time I was in a bookstore the Sci-Fi section was almost non existent.

I'm looking for books about guys I guess you could call agents or detectives..Just a little bit in the future. They don't have to be saving the world, just guys doing their job..

Books Like:

Nocturne for a Dangerous Man by Marc Matz (whatever happened to him?)

Mandel/Mindstar books by Peter F. Hamilton (not the later books by him)

Retrieval Artist books by Kristine Kathryn Rusch (I don't like her space opera "Boss" books.)

I've read a lot of the old stuff Asimov(robots), Niven(Gil the Arm),Harrison(Stainless Steel Rat) etc.

--

Other stuff I like that doesn't really fit the agent category..I love the Korval books, Vorkosigan, Honor Harrington (until Weber screwed it up) the Hope books by Feintuch, the Vatta and Serrano series by Elizabeth Moon.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Leviathan Wakes by James S A Corey has two main characters, one of them a hard-boiled detective from an asteroid station. The action is set not too far into the future, in the Solar System, and includes, beside the detective part, some horror elements and some space opera battles. It is the first of a longer series, but it can be read as stand-alone.

You didn't mention the Takeshi Kovacs books by Richard K Morgan. If you haven't tried them yet, check them out - they fit you criteria very well.

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Inconnu View Post
    I really haven't read a sci-fi book in a while (maybe a year) that has really stayed with me. Last time I was in a bookstore the Sci-Fi section was almost non existent.

I'm looking for books about guys I guess you could call agents or detectives..Just a little bit in the future. They don't have to be saving the world, just guys doing their job..

Books Like:

Nocturne for a Dangerous Man by Marc Matz (whatever happened to him?)

Mandel/Mindstar books by Peter F. Hamilton (not the later books by him)

Retrieval Artist books by Kristine Kathryn Rusch (I don't like her space opera "Boss" books.)

I've read a lot of the old stuff Asimov(robots), Niven(Gil the Arm),Harrison(Stainless Steel Rat) etc.

--

Other stuff I like that doesn't really fit the agent category..I love the Korval books, Vorkosigan, Honor Harrington (until Weber screwed it up) the Hope books by Feintuch, the Vatta and Serrano series by Elizabeth Moon.
    Hamilton's new book, Great North Road might fit, has alot of procedural stuff I heard.

I downloaded Leviathan Wakes by James S A Corey, next on my list! Thanks.

The Vorkosigan series is for young adults. It is really not a believable story in any sense, it is more like a tale. Before Miles himself appears on the scene the series is at least readable. After that, it is superhero time which is very annoying and there is zero excitement. He comes and wins.

I recommend Greg Bear, Alastair Reynolds, Vernor Vinge.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
    Before Miles himself appears on the scene the series is at least readable. After that, it is superhero time which is very annoying and there is zero excitement. He comes and wins.

I recommend Greg Bear, Alastair Reynolds, Vernor Vinge.

That is what is wrong with Warrior's Apprentice. It gets toned down after that.

But that complaint can be applied to any series centered on a single character. Try the Honor Harrington series.

Revelation Space is EXCITING? Are you kidding?

psik

Hi! I'm new over here.

I've been searching for a specific kind of book for some time and hopefully somebody here will have some recommendations. I did use the search function before posting

Ok, I'm searching for a science fiction book that deals mainly with the exploration of a previously unknown, uninhabited planet. If any of you has played the Metroid videogames, then that's what I'm looking for; especially something like Metroid Prime or Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.
    I want a book in which a single character or a small exploration team lands on an uncharted planet and starts to discover the different lifeforms present, the ruins of ancient civilizations, the struggling fauna and flora, the varying climates, etc.
    Most of all I want a book that evolves a feeling of isolation, sense of wonder and slow understanding as the exploration carries on. I'd like pinch of horror or two as well.
    I guess what I'm looking for is a planetary romance but with a strong sense of mystery and decay, and mainly uninhabited (at least of sentient beings)

Now, I guess a book like that probably wouldn't have much of a plot, but that's what I'm searching for.

The only thing I've found that's relatively close to what I'm searching for is Helliconia by Brian W. Aldiss, but that's still not exactly what I'd like to read.

I know I'm asking a lot for a first time poster, so thanks in advance. Any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by oceaninashell View Post
    Hi! I'm new over here.

I've been searching for a specific kind of book for some time and hopefully somebody here will have some recommendations. I did use the search function before posting

Ok, I'm searching for a science fiction book that deals mainly with the exploration of a previously unknown, uninhabited planet. If any of you has played the Metroid videogames, then that's what I'm looking for; especially something like Metroid Prime or Metroid Prime 2: Echoes.
    I want a book in which a single character or a small exploration team lands on an uncharted planet and starts to discover the different lifeforms present, the ruins of ancient civilizations, the struggling fauna and flora, the varying climates, etc.
    Most of all I want a book that evolves a feeling of isolation, sense of wonder and slow understanding as the exploration carries on. I'd like pinch of horror or two as well.
    I guess what I'm looking for is a planetary romance but with a strong sense of mystery and decay, and mainly uninhabited (at least of sentient beings)

Now, I guess a book like that probably wouldn't have much of a plot, but that's what I'm searching for.

The only thing I've found that's relatively close to what I'm searching for is Helliconia by Brian W. Aldiss, but that's still not exactly what I'd like to read.

I know I'm asking a lot for a first time poster, so thanks in advance. Any kind of advice would be greatly appreciated!
    two of my all time favorite books, ones one i reccomend frequently are Legacy of heorot and baeowulf's children by Niven et al. I think they cover most of what you are looking for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legacy_of_Heorot

Hi! I'm new over here.

You know... Rendezvous with Rama would be perfect for you.. I would check it out first though because it's not a planet the team is exploring

I've read a lot of the so called classics and I'm getting a little tired of the "idea story" and scientists being the main characters. The last good scifi that I read was Dune and I haven't really kept up on what good recently in the genre. I'd like some character development and it really could be any sub genre.

Well, thanks a lot to JimF and krisbslick.

I'll definitely be checking out Rendezvous with Rama (it's just about what I was looking for, except the planet part).
    I'll try The Legacy of Heorot as well, though it looks like it's out of print; oh, I guess I can get it used...

Anyway, really grateful for the recommendations.

Well, thanks a lot to JimF and krisbslick.

I'll definitely be checking out Rendezvous with Rama (it's just about what I was looking for, except the planet part).
    I'll try The Legacy of Heorot as well, though it looks like it's out of print; oh, I guess I can get it used...

Anyway, really grateful for the recommendations.
    For used or Out of Print books I've had a lot of success with biblio.com. It is an agregator of used book stores.

http://www.biblio.com/search.php?aut...yisbn=&format=