Newby to Sci-Fi, help please

I've never read any sci-fi and was wondering if I could get a list of great sci-fi books to check out.

I have no idea what you will regard as great.

These are by Lois McMaster Bujold and she got at least 3 Hugo awards for them

Falling Free 7/10
    Shards of Honor 6/10
    Barrayar 8/10
    The Warrior's Apprentice 5/10
    The Vor Game 7/10
    Cetaganda 6/10
    Brothers in Arms 7/10
    Mirror Dance 8/10
    Memory 8/10
    Komarr 9/10
    A Civil Campaign 9/10
    Diplomatic Immunity 8/10
    Cryoburn 7.5/10

And you can read all of them free and legal.

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/2...rnCD/index.htm

Click that "Home" in Site Home at the top in the center.

psik

There are always the classics. If you haven't read anything, you can start with some of the greats of sci-fi and figure out what exactly you like and go from there.

Unless your likes are very different from most, a safe bet would be to find a book that is considered an all-time great by many in the sci-fi crowd and start there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gray View Post
    I've never read any sci-fi and was wondering if I could get a list of great sci-fi books to check out.
    Having no idea what you like, what kinds of stories/novels towards which you are drawn, or what you've read and enjoyed in the past makes this a somewhat difficult thing to do.

On the other hand, I spent a bit of time the other day creating a brand new Recommendation Thread and stickied it atop the Science Fiction forum (with links to other threads at SFFWorld) that is fairly detailed. Have a look there and you may find some things that may potentially float your boat.

The New and Improved Recommendation - Science Fiction

Check out Agent to the Stars. Basically Jerry McGuire with aliens, funny but a real and serious, if light, sci-fi story. Its too light to be considered a classic on this forum, but its well liked, and its Amazon ratings are fantastic (over 100 votes, mostly all 5 star).

My wife had a negative impression of sci-fi, I got her to read Agent to the Stars as her first sci-fi and she really liked it.

That is my safest recommendation without knowing what your looking for.