Wizard with a tea kettle

I'm going crazy trying to remember a book, but all I can remember is one character - a wizard who liked his tea at a certain temperature, so he had a tea kettle that followed him around always simmering at just the right temp for his tea. I know that isn't much to go on - I just posted this question in another thread where someone was asking about 80s fantasy books, because I could have sworn it was a Roger Zelazny book (Amber), but it wasn't! Help!

Sounds like something Terry Pratchett would come up with.

Registered as What?
    Tea with A Black Dragon? I know that Fritz Lieber wrote a book Black Dragon and tea in the title.

I thought someone came up with the right answer of Deryni by Katherine Kurtz in some other thread...

I think this may have been moved here or double posted here...but I think this one is solved.

WAS that the correct answer? I did post this on an 80s fantasy thread as well, because I thought the book might have been written in the 80s, but the thread was asking about "good 80s fantasy" to read, and I thought the answer "Definitely Katherine Kurtz" was in reply to that, not which book had a tea-kettle toting wizard. If it IS the Deryni series, I'll rush out and get them ....

Quote Originally Posted by Erfael View Post
    I thought someone came up with the right answer of Deryni by Katherine Kurtz in some other thread...

I think this may have been moved here or double posted here...but I think this one is solved.