Tracking down limited-run prints and story collections

Hi -

I'm a big fan of space opera and Alastair Reynolds in particular. I live in the U.S. I've read every novel AR has published, I've got his Diamond Dogs novella collection, and I have a few anthologies with his stories.

But...I've been trying to track down Troika and Deep Navigation. My local Barnes and Noble will not order these books, and the person at customer service wasn't really able to tell me why.

I've found online retailers who say they have these books, but the prices are insane...something like $140 for Deep Navigation and $50-$60 for Troika, which is a novella.

I know these are limited print books, but what gives? And does anyone know of an online retailer that is reputable and doesn't charge insane prices for these books?

Thanks

NESFA Press, the publisher of Deep Navigation, reprinted it. The book itself, though, is sold on Subterranean Press' website. So is Troika.

Follow the links. Use a credit card or paypal. You do not have to use a local store for all things bookish, such as instances of small run prints. Go directly to the small press' website instead. I bought my Deep Navigation 150$ off ebay/abebooks a year before it was announced they were reprinting it at 26$. And yes, it IS that good of a collection.

Currently the top small press publishers, the ones with the books you like, apparently, are Subterranean Press (go to Catalog, there is a Preorder section that shows you what will be released sometimes up to a year in advance), NESFA Press, PS Publishing, and Haffner Press. They all carry a number of well-known authors - Stross, Reynolds, Brown, the list goes on - you should have great fun reading. I sure am!
    Last edited by Pennarin; January 29th, 2012 at 09:36 AM.

So what gives, you ask? Anything very popular, like Reynold's Deep Navigation (which sold out and even got reprinted), you'll either see no resalers for years afterwards - only dire financial situations will get their owners to sell them - or find used books at 3-5 times the original price. One can make money this way by buying an extra copy for later resale, but it's a gamble since you never know if ebay/abebooks isn't gonna get flooded with used copies. For example, Stross' first and unpublished novel, Subterranean Press' Scratch Monkey, wasn't a good enough read that people didn't resale them afterwards in relatively high numbers.

Much thanks for the links, I really appreciate it.

I see Troika is available in limited at $60...but it's signed by AR, and the story sounds awesome, so I'm definitely ordering one. From the description, it seems the story is centered on a "big idea" like the Spirit of the Air from House of Suns. Classic AR.

If you dropped $150 on Deep Navigation and it was still worth it, I'm psyched. And the posts about ordering Blue Remembered Earth look encouraging too. I went from a disappointing trip to the book store to being on the verge of having a whole stockpile of AR stuff to read...muahahaha.

Thanks Pennarin!

Hello Nikolas,
    I did a quick search on bookfinders.com for Troïka. I found one copy available at this link and in the USA at $35:
    http://www.tomfolio.com/bookdetailsb...m=484&b=LP1913
    I hope it would be useful for you.
    Elvraie
    Last edited by elvraie; January 30th, 2012 at 04:44 AM.

Science-Fantasy Zealot symbolhunter's Avatar
    Hi Nikolas,

Both of these titles are also available from AbeBooks.co.uk. Abe Books is a very safe and reliable provider which accepts paypal. I've used it for years now and have never had a problem. I have got collectibles from them--the last being a signed copy of a book by William Tenn.

The prices are in British Pounds. However, if you do a search through AbeBooks.com then the pricing will be in US $. It would be worth comparing the two divisions of ABE as there may be differences.

Dont forget about eBay. A brand new copy of Troika just sold today for 9.99 with 4.00 shipping. Its worth checking once a week.

The Six Directions in Space also seems to be a hard-to get novella, currently priced at $135 new from Amazon , but $30 from Abesbooks - still a high price for an 88 page Novella. Have you read this Nikolas? I borrowed and read this and Troika from my local library - liked them both but though "Six Directions" was excellent.

Also bought the hardcover of Deep Navigation from NESFA press when it came out - it's a great collection of stories.
    Last edited by Westsiyeed; January 30th, 2012 at 08:54 PM.

The reviews on The Six Directions in Space and Terminal World were lackluster.
    I won't buy 1. what I don't find interesting, and 2. what the reviews can't convince me might be interesting despite no. 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennarin View Post
    The reviews on The Six Directions in Space and Terminal World were lackluster.
    I won't buy 1. what I don't find interesting, and 2. what the reviews can't convince me might be interesting despite no. 1.
    I agree in principle too - though if you were going off the reviews on Amazon keep in mind many of the negative reviews are based on value for money not the story itself. Personally I thought The Six Directions in Space is up there with his best short stories/novellas.

Troika has also (originally) been published in the "Godlike Machines" anthology edited by Jonathan Strahan, which might or might not be more readily available than the standalone novella.

Science-Fantasy Zealot symbolhunter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seli View Post
    Troika has also (originally) been published in the "Godlike Machines" anthology edited by Jonathan Strahan, which might or might not be more readily available than the standalone novella.
    A fair number of copies are available at AbeBooks for around $7

I confess I have not read Six Directions of Space, but I did read Terminal World and I'd put that in the same category as Century Rain. It's not what I'd normally read, and it lacks the awesomeness of Reynolds' noir space opera, but it was a decent book.

Thing is, I can't get enough of that noir space opera he's been doing, and short stories like Diamond Dogs and Nightengale really scratch that itch. House of Suns was big space opera without the noir, and Prefect was kinda noir lite with the Glitter Band and all, but both books still had epic stamped all over them.

Thanks elvraie, Symbolhunter and Seli...this thread has given me more good answers than ever expected, and I'm bookmarking all of these sites. Much thanks for your help!