Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Scots are part of the UK aren't they? I didn't try and say he was English or anything. If that's wrong I apologize, I honestly don't know how it all shakes out over there.

The Descendants

I saw The Descendants - I loved it!
    @inkdipped

Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    Scots are part of the UK aren't they? I didn't try and say he was English or anything. If that's wrong I apologize, I honestly don't know how it all shakes out over there.
    UK = England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    UK = England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland
    For the moment.

Cowboys versus Aliens...I liked it, but Harrison Ford is just too good to pass up. The effects were good, the story good, and the actors were well picked, even the jerk son of Harrison Ford was a perfect ass, he played his part well, I didn't like him

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    Nahh. I was just being pedantic. At least you didn't say "he's English!?" in a surprised tone of voice like I did after seeing him in Wanted. I was talking to a Glaswegian at the time. Now THAT's a slip of the tongue guaranteed to annoy.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Sherlock Holmes 2 - A Game of Shadows : I liked the first one better. I knew it would have very little connection with Arthur Conan Doyle characters, other than the names of the characters, but I felt this script is interchangeable with any special effects modern superproduction. Change the scenery a little, and you have either The Mummy, Pirates of the Carribean, The Matrix, Sherlock or a Marvel adaptation. Explosions, stop motion fighting, split second cuts and tongue in cheek dialogue.

The hand to hand fighting scenes in this second movie were muddled, arbitrarily slowed down and accelerated and with badly chosen angles for the camera - something I didn't expect from Guy Ritchie.

One final comment: I love Sptephen Fry in Jeeves and Wooster and I was thrilled to find him in the movie, that is until he felt the need for a bit of shock treatment on the eyes. And the whole Watson and Holmes gay vibe thing didn't work for me at all.

Saw King's Speech

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_B View Post
    Managed to score a babysitter and took my wife to see The King's Speech. It tries very hard to be Oscar worthy but I still found myself enjoying it. It's not the stodgy period piece you might expect. Events leading up to the World War Two is a fascinating period of history and I find the idea of one person becoming the focus point for an entire nation during harrowing times very interesting. Colin Firth's performance is excellent; full of wry self deprecation and rage. Geoffrey Rush wasn't as exciting for me but he gets some good lines. Helena Bonham Carter is better than Rush, in my opinion, and even though I'm really only familiar with the Queen's mum as the older lady she became, I can see strong shades of the real life woman in the portrayal of the young woman on screen. The director frames his shots in a slightly skewed way and there's a lot of detail in the sound design - you can hear everyone of Firth's agonised swallows. All the elements come together in a very enjoyable package, even if it the package is a little bit too neatly wrapped.
    I thought The King's Speech was terrific. I like period pieces, and don't find them stodgy, so I won't really comment on that regarding this movie. But, I do agree that Firth's performance is excellent and I agree that Rush isn't as exciting as he usually is. Helena Bonham Carter, better than Rush? Hmmm. I'd say she gives a performance equal to that of Rush's. But I don't feel that it came off as trying hard to be the best picture in the Oscars. I thought it it all the right notes, as you've presented. So, why do you feel that it was "too neatly wrapped"? In what ways?

Saw it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Just back from Mission Incredible/Impossible. Good fun from Tom and Brad Bird (Director of The Iron Giant/The Incredibles: see what I did there?)

Very slick, very glossy: some awesome stunts which look incredible on a big screen. Plot's a bit all over the place, but generally worth the money.

Better than the last Bond movie...

Mark
    I agree with you about Mission Impossible. It is slick, glossy, fun. I thought it was just me about the plot. It is hard to follow - nevertheless, it works.
    @inkdipped

Heard good things

Quote Originally Posted by kater View Post
    Watched two of the supposedly best films of the year over the weekend:

Warrior - if there's a target audience for this movie it's me. Unsuprisingly I loved it for the most part. I thought the main cast were superb, with Tom Hardy powerful as the near monosyllabic Tommy. The action scenes were brutal and ejoyable if a little unrealistic. On the downside the actual storyline and set-up is a just a bit too unrealistic and coincedental, the ending not really having the impact it should have. I also found it too short which, given it's 2hrs 10mins running time, is a bit frustrating. Flawed but good.

Drive - One of the best starts to a movie I've seen in years but from there it's disappointingly downhill. At times oddly surreal with no real core to the story it can almost be mistaken for a series of tenuously related vignettes. Gosling is at times brilliant but his performance is so sparse there's nothing of value to the character come the end which is meh.

I've heard good things about both of these movies. My parents, both in their 80's, are avid movie watchers. Well, really my dad .. They had good things to say about Drive. I passed The Warrior in Netflix wondering if I should see it. I'm still not sure if I should. But I appreciate your review. And I might see Drive., now.
    @inkdipped

Smile Cowboys vs. Aliens

Quote Originally Posted by Red Dobbs View Post
    Cowboys versus Aliens...I liked it, but Harrison Ford is just too good to pass up. The effects were good, the story good, and the actors were well picked, even the jerk son of Harrison Ford was a perfect ass, he played his part well, I didn't like him
    Never in my life would I have thought that I would have liked this movie, but I did. It was just pure fun. I went on a fluke, because a friend of mine wanted to go. How they came up with this concept, merging these two genres, I'll never know. Apparently, many have wanted this movie for a long time. Who knew? And how they pulled it off ... well, it was a surprise.
    @inkdipped

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Attack the Block.

I thought the start was a bit ropey but after that it was great fun and pretty funny in places too. Worth the fiver I paid for it.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    It's been a movie watching weekend here. On Friday night I watched Point Break and Army of Darkness with a bunch of friends, last night watched Brides Maids with my lady. All very hilarious movies in vastly different ways.

Watched Horrible Bosses last night & it was really funny. I was surprised that Jennifer Aniston could play that type of role (& well).

I was also surprised by the number of very well known actors in the movie.

I watched Fanboys yesterday. That was certainly...a thing. It seemed like scenes from a lot of other movies I enjoyed cobbled together and recast into this movie. Sure there were some laughs and HEY LOOK, IT'S WILLIAM SHATNER cameos, but boy am I glad I didn't pay to see this thing. At least I got to see Kristen Bell in Princess Leia Slave outfit.