Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Caught The Woman in Black with Danielle Radcliffe over the weekend with the Missus...I liked it. A bit slow in points, but I was startled a couple of times. Overall recommendation.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    The Guard - a noir made in Ireland, more comedy than crime, but well scripted and with two good leads : Brendan Gleeson and Don Cheadle.

Last one - Carnage

I saw Carnage this past weekend and thought it was an outstanding film. The acting was great, direction, set, script - all of it. Only four actors (except for the four phone call voice overs), one setting (basically) and mostly dialogue, you just do not see films like these anymore. In fact, the last one I saw that centered on only 2 actors was My Dinner with Andre - fantastic film.

We need more of these.
    Elaine - Book Marketing Manager, @inkdipped

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Caught The Woman in Black with Danielle Radcliffe over the weekend with the Missus...I liked it. A bit slow in points, but I was startled a couple of times. Overall recommendation.
    On a scale of 1 - 10, how scary was The Woman in Black?
    Elaine

Some scenes surprised me, but probably a 4

Just watched Gnomeo & Juliet. Wanted to see it ever since I saw the trailer for it last year.

Pretty impressed, actually. The changes to the play worked really well, and the film was full of references to Shakespeare's other works - some easy to get, others not so, but the jokes? Oh, the jokes! A good number of them, especially at the start, were really tired and worn out but were quite funny, but as it got going and made its own jokes, it was really good.

Couple of gripes: At times, the animation really seemed to be a little weak, especially with the humans. One or two of the songs (thinking of the one where Gnomeo and Juliet first meet in particular) seemed a little misplaced, too.

And now I can't stop giggling at the idea of Hulk Hogan shouting "MEOW!!"

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Watched an amazing, thought provoking documentary last night called Miss Representation. Its about how the mainstream media has shaped how women are perceived in society, and how they perceive themselves. It's one of those films that make you say: "everyone should watch this".

Dario Argento's Tenenbrae . Which I thought was ****.

That's **** in a bad way not not **** in a good way.

So, 4/10 rather than 4/5?

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    Watched an amazing, thought provoking documentary last night called Miss Representation. Its about how the mainstream media has shaped how women are perceived in society, and how they perceive themselves. It's one of those films that make you say: "everyone should watch this".
    Thanks for the post CB, will check this out (very relevant for me having two daughters, though it'll probably make me more apprehensive about their teenage years to come!)

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    Thanks for the post CB, will check this out (very relevant for me having two daughters, though it'll probably make me more apprehensive about their teenage years to come!)
    Definitely a good one to watch if you have daughters! As a male I found it very valuable too. Definitely realized some of my behaviors and actions are a product of mainstream media...not that that's an excuse, but it's good to be aware, and be able to monitor myself.

the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gkIiV6konY

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Yesterday I caught Fantastic Mr. Fox on tv. I admit I was prepared to hate it because I figured the American film industry would have ruined the original feel.

It's true that they couldn't resist filling a childhood favourite with American cultural references but I loved it anyway. Very funny and a bit quirky. Well worth a watch.

So.....apologies to the American film industry for my unkind thoughts.

I watched Paul last night with the lovely Jess and we both had a good time with it. The roadhouse country band was one of my favourite Star Wars references ever.

Way Too Human
    My son and I watch Ghost Rider 2 this past weekend.

The tone of the movie is a totally different vibe than the first one. At times, I thought was to "campy", and I wasn't sure if it was intentional.

Other than the obvous action oriented content, I think the themes of the movie were redemption and personal sacrifice, but it didn't come across very well. I don't usually watch a movie for it's underlying message, but it was pretty obvious "they" were trying to show one. It wasn't all Nick Cage's fault. The script was terrible at times....really terrible.

I don't expect much from a movie, so I'm not usually disappointed. I only wish to be entertained. I don't regret seeing it, and I'll probably watch it on DVD. However I don't think I could recommend it to anyone unless I know they like crappy B-movies.