Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    A house on a hill somewhere in Australia.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Robin Hood: Men in Tights
    Much funnier than I expected, and I expected quite a lot of laughs. Easily one of Mel Brooks' better films - not as forced as Spaceballs and more exciting than Blazing Saddles - and a lot of the jokes were just great.

Loved every moment of it. Absolutely every moment.
    Ah, Men In Tights. Great movie!

I watched Looper and Ruby Sparks this week, and The Princess Bride for the first time recently. Why did I not know it sooner!

Looper's got a great premise and a great ending. The fact that they're both criminals makes the heroic moment all that more meaningful.

Ruby Sparks has the kind of ending you'd expect, all things considered (they meet like in the dream), but man, that evil control part (you know it's going to have one) is pretty dark. NOT your normal romantic comedy formula. This romantic comedy has teeth. I am not surprised that I enjoyed it.

And the Princess Bride... wow! Funny, engaging, charming. I finally know what the deal with Inigo Montoya's famous line is. I mean, I knew it was badass from IMDB, but still.
    "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
    So glad I picked it up the second I saw my dvd store had it. And 'Dread Pirate Rogers' and Inigo are so sporting to their foes. Classic!
    "I'm not left handed."

I hear Dredd is good. But I'll discuss when I've seen it in October or whenever it's out in Australia.

Ink-stained Wretch Teresa Edgerton's Avatar
    A Good Woman, loosely based on Oscar Wilde's Lady Windermere's Fan, and set in the 1920's.

I watched it hoping they would keep most of the original dialogue intact. They didn't, but they managed to keep a lot of it.

Moving it into the early 20th century didn't bother me, but some of their attempts to make the movie more pleasing to modern audiences sort of wrenched the story out of place (I thought) and some of the casting didn't thrill me. But I enjoyed parts of it.

Looper and Butter

Both movies were surprisingly good. I went into them with low expectations. Looper is an excellent time travel movie, still is messing with my head The whole concept that time travel is illegal in the future was awesome. The cg was great too.

Butter actually made me lol several times (might be because Rob Corddry always cracks me up). And I have to say that as a native Iowan I can tell you they depicted the locals quite accurately. Also, Olivia Wilde was hilarious!

Just watched Rise of the Planets of the Apes and found it to be pretty entertaining. Certainly much better than the other Apes movie with Mark Wahlberg. Was interesting to see how the whole "apes take over the world" started. Still not better than the originals. Damn dirty apes!

Draco Malfoy(I don't even know the actors name) is a bastard in this one too!

The Master

What a disappointing, tedious film of giant faces having blithering discussions. I had very high hopes since I consider Philip Seymor Hoffman an excellent actor. Joaquin Phoenix was impressive, but the film itself was disjointed mess. I shouldn't be surprised since the film was made by Paul Thomas Anderson who also made Magnolia, three hours of my life I'll never have back, though I did like PTA's Boogie Nights.

it could be worse Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicBaconBitz View Post
    Both movies were surprisingly good. I went into them with low expectations. Looper is an excellent time travel movie, still is messing with my head The whole concept that time travel is illegal in the future was awesome. The cg was great too.
    I just saw Looper. I actually had high expectations, and though they were not met, I really enjoyed this too. Good movie.

I will avoid The Masters.

A house on a hill somewhere in Australia.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slice of G View Post
    Just watched Rise of the Planets of the Apes and found it to be pretty entertaining. Certainly much better than the other Apes movie with Mark Wahlberg. Was interesting to see how the whole "apes take over the world" started. Still not better than the originals. Damn dirty apes!

Draco Malfoy(I don't even know the actors name) is a bastard in this one too!
    Tom something? Well, he's had 7-8 years of practice being a bastard. Which means he might get typecast. Not that that's an evil thing.

Blog Entries

Help, Magical Mystery Tour

Are you allowed to post 'non genre' films? Suppose so, we've had some bizarre fashion statements recently.

Although perhaps 'Help' is a fantasy. It's all about Ringo's ring. If you'll pardon the expression.

Blog Entries
    I saw Sarah's Key last weekend; easily the best movie I've seen in at least a year! It's a serious drama about a very shameful episode of human history and the crushing weight of survivor's guilt. It puts all those stupid insipid comic book movies and Sherlock Holmes retreads to shame!
    Words of warning though, it is a pretty sad film but well worth watching.

Dark knight rises
    avengers

I just watched a great documentary called The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill. I recommend it whole-heartedly.

Looper, and it was great! I didn't saw any trailers or read previews on the story so I could go without many expectations, and it was a pleasant surprise!

Artist, Cartoonist & Dude Action Avenue's Avatar
    Prometheus. It was ok (not tremendous, but not terrible either).

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Action Avenue View Post
    Prometheus. It was ok (not tremendous, but not terrible either).
    I agree, It had some good parts, but not mindblowing like I hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by kahnovitch View Post
    Cabin in the Woods; A lot of people I know insisted this was a must see. After watching it I have no idea why. Cramming ever single horror flim cliche into one movie dosen't make it any better imo.
    Ditto. We just watched it and it was moderately entertaining but seemed to believe it was far more intelligent than it was; overall it felt like two different stories stuffed into the same movie, and while each could have worked by itself they made no sense when combined.