Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Watched Prometheus last night and liked it well enough. I am still rather puzzled concerning 'the why' of the opening scene. Anyone here know if that was just suicide, homicide, or what?

I just watched Secretary and have to say I really enjoyed it. I love stories about people dealing with their problems in unusual manners, or struggling to make themselves fit into society and it just not working. Their romance isn't conventional, but it's what works for them and makes them happy, and it was pretty fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjasa View Post
    I just watched Secretary and have to say I really enjoyed it. I love stories about people dealing with their problems in unusual manners, or struggling to make themselves fit into society and it just not working. Their romance isn't conventional, but it's what works for them and makes them happy, and it was pretty fantastic.
    And funny. One of the few modern rom-coms I could stand watching again.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    Watched Prometheus last night and liked it well enough. I am still rather puzzled concerning 'the why' of the opening scene. Anyone here know if that was just suicide, homicide, or what?
    I think it's supposed to be an Engineer "seeding" a new planet with new life - a necessary suicide. Possibly the planet's supposed to be Earth...

Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel (2009) - a comedy SF film which manages the rare double of being both good SF (it all makes sense) and is very funny. Three ordinary blokes find a time rift in the toilets of their local pub. Complexity ensues. Wonderfully written stuff. Loved it.

I like SF. SF is cool. Steven L Jordan's Avatar
    I saw Cloud Atlas this weekend. I really enjoyed it, despite the distraction of "name that actor" every time they brought out a new character played by the main actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven L Jordan View Post
    I saw Cloud Atlas this weekend. I really enjoyed it, despite the distraction of "name that actor" every time they brought out a new character played by the main actors.
    I'm really looking forward to this - I really liked the book and spot the actor is not going to concern me. I wouldn't recognise Halley Berry (I think she's in it) if she fell on me. For that matter most currently working Hollywood actors are blank canvases as far as I'm concerned.

Tonight I watched Arrietty, Studio Ghibli's beautiful take on the Mary Norton Borrower books. I read the books as a kid and have seen just about every screen adaptation over the years (bits at least) but this film is by far the best. Slow gentle and utterly enchanting. And not just me. My three kids: aged 10, 8, and 3 were riveted. I don't think I have ever seen them so engrossed in a film. (We watched the UK dubbed version. The US dubbed version is, I understand, very different - and sounds very horrible.)
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; November 23rd, 2012 at 04:10 PM.

http://tinyurl.com/363ogv DurzoBlint's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I enjoyed Cloud Atlas as well. Thought it was as true to the book as it could have been considering time restraints. Last week, the wife and I went and saw Flight. Good movie, entertaining, but not worth the Oscar hype.

I saw an old classic Japanese SciFi Film called Atragon. It is about a lost society called the Mu, who are kind like Atlantians only in the Pacific, and their plot to overthrough and enslave the world. The only hope is a super submarine built in secret by a Japanese sub commander who fled the civilized world rather than surrender to the americans after WWII. (Of course there is a monster to deal with too!) Sure it was silly, but overall it was a joy to watch. I was expecting a total B movie, but this film had high production values and good FX and model work for the time, 1962. I wonder how many other Japanese gems there are out there to watch.

Jim

Brave

I loved it. I want Merida's hair.

I like SF. SF is cool. Steven L Jordan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Brave

I loved it. I want Merida's hair.
    Ha! You say that now, but wait until you have to pull a comb through it!

On the subject of animated movies, I just saw How to Train Your Dragon. Fun stuff.

Artist, Cartoonist & Dude Action Avenue's Avatar
    Watched X-Men First Class about a week and a half ago. Thought it was really well done. Liked the infusion of fresh characters. Action and plot was generally well paced.

Up
    Been on a Disney/Pixar kick lately (still am, admittedly), so I picked up Up cheaply. Wow, that blew Brave away by a country mile. What an awesome film. As our Rob knows, I didn't quite manage to cry, but it is still an emotional ride. I really cannot... SQUIRREL!

Pixar Short Films Collection vol. 1
    Not quite a movie, but eh. Nice collection of some of their earlier films. Some excellent pieces (Knick Knack, Boundin' & Jack-Jack Attack), some okay ones (Mike's New Car, Mater and the Ghostlight), one that causes you to say Hail Marys for its duration (Tin Toy - that baby was HORRIFYING) and the worst animated piece I have ever seen in my life (The Adventures of André and Wally B. - though admittedly it was one of their very firsts). Probably not really one for the kids? It's more a... hm. Not sure.

Pixar Short Films Collection vol. 2
    A much stronger collection, worth it for the Toy Story shorts alone, with some really good films. La Luna stunned me, Hawaiian Vacation & Small Fry (the Toy Story ones) had me laughing out loud, Your Friend The Rat was edutainment at its finest, and Day & Night was one of the most creative things I've seen in a while.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Up
    Been on a Disney/Pixar kick lately (still am, admittedly), so I picked up Up cheaply. Wow, that blew Brave away by a country mile. What an awesome film. As our Rob knows, I didn't quite manage to cry, but it is still an emotional ride. I really cannot... SQUIRREL!

Pixar Short Films Collection vol. 1
    Not quite a movie, but eh. Nice collection of some of their earlier films. Some excellent pieces (Knick Knack, Boundin' & Jack-Jack Attack), some okay ones (Mike's New Car, Mater and the Ghostlight), one that causes you to say Hail Marys for its duration (Tin Toy - that baby was HORRIFYING) and the worst animated piece I have ever seen in my life (The Adventures of André and Wally B. - though admittedly it was one of their very firsts). Probably not really one for the kids? It's more a... hm. Not sure.

Pixar Short Films Collection vol. 2
    A much stronger collection, worth it for the Toy Story shorts alone, with some really good films. La Luna stunned me, Hawaiian Vacation & Small Fry (the Toy Story ones) had me laughing out loud, Your Friend The Rat was edutainment at its finest, and Day & Night was one of the most creative things I've seen in a while.
    Pixar has put Disney back on the animation map. Brave was the best effort I've seen this year (though admittedly I haven't seen most of them). Up may well be the best Pixar effort yet. I remember seeing La Luna as a short before another feature-length Pixar film (I think it was Despicable Me, another great Pixar film) and was very impressed with it!

Despicable Me was not a Pixar film. It is very good, though.