Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am curious if any of our UK members have seen it and could give us their thoughts. Was the biopic true to life or a load of nonsense? I just don't know enough about England under Thatcher to really tell.
    I haven't seen the film, DDC, but there was quite a lot of controversy about it when the film came out in the UK. Like The Queen, I would doubt The Iron Lady has much to do with reality other than the general details. There were quite a few of Thatcher's old ministers claim at the time that the character was nothing like the Thatcher they knew.

Mark
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DDCOrange View Post
    Saw The Iron Lady last night and found it just so-so. I was interested in learning a bit more about Margeret Thatcher and her political career but the fractured flashback approach to the film seemed to gloss through her life (perhaps it's a bit too much to cram into a 90 minute movie) giving us half a movie of lifetime highlights and half a movie about Thatcher fighting off hallucinations and Dementia. I was somewhat dissappointed by that approach. It did make some political points here and there that may be well heeded today, particularly here in the States.
    I am curious if any of our UK members have seen it and could give us their thoughts. Was the biopic true to life or a load of nonsense? I just don't know enough about England under Thatcher to really tell.
    I saw it and was actually surprised it didn't white wash her actions as much as I thought it was going to. It did give a semi good snap shot of the times. Having lived through the '70's and the actual hardships of that time with the affects of her policies combined with the strikes, the recession, unemployment and the total destruction of industries in this part of the country, I find the current "double dip recession," something of a non-event.

I am not having to line up for over an hour to get a loaf of bread, petrol, sugar (true, the latter we had to get folks to buy icing sugar for our wedding cake as there was a temp ration as stocks could not get to the shops.) I am not working in an office with no electric or heating and then going home to a house with no electric (true, due to the miners' strike) I am not having to burn rubbish in my mum-in-law's field due to the non collection of bins. I am not having to leave my place of work due to a bomb scare and see the army bomb disposal take away a "package", or think twice about going to London, Birmingham, (actually was in the city the evening of that one. Frightened me silly).

Anyway, it is a very interesting period in British history and tends to bring out people's passions.

Quote Originally Posted by Holbrook View Post
    Anyway, it is a very interesting period in British history and tends to bring out people's passions.
    Well, when someone tries to destroy your country, you tend to get a little bit angry

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    After having been reminded of a personal bugbear by the last half hour of 101 Dalmatians, can one of our American members please smack your film industry around the head and remind them that England does NOT have raccoons or skunks.

Thank you.

Caught Contagion last night, stellar cast Matt Damon, Morpheus, Audrey Tatou to name a few, didn't think I would enjoy a movie about a killer virus, but the reviews made me curious and it did not disappoint, the start and middle had me very interested the ending was a little weak, but solid acting and visuals throughout. 7/10

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuffalump View Post
    After having been reminded of a personal bugbear by the last half hour of 101 Dalmatians, can one of our American members please smack your film industry around the head and remind them that England does NOT have raccoons or skunks.

Thank you.
    LOL Right on I'll get right on that.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Much obliged Kazz.

(you'll have to imagine a Texan accent)

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuffalump View Post
    Much obliged Kazz.

(you'll have to imagine a Texan accent)
    Right on, man. lol

Y'all seen Inception, I have it on DVD, its pretty awesome.

The Avengers is a geek's wet dream come to life. Oh my God it was amazing and covered in awesome sauce!!!!!

Hulk Smash. Hulk smash real good.

Rogue Warrior
    Yeah I'd go see Avengers again, man! All the characters were cool.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowZer0 View Post
    Caught Contagion last night, stellar cast Matt Damon, Morpheus, Audrey Tatou to name a few
    It was an odd movie; at one point I thought I was about two hours in so I checked the DVD display and it said it was more like an hour.

It's only about an hour and three quarters long but it felt more like three .

Quote Originally Posted by DDCOrange View Post
    I really liked it when I saw it (not so impressed now in hindsight), but I have no idea whether it bore any resemblance to real life. I was in Britain at that time, but I never met Thatcher.

All I can say is, having lived through the tail-end of the seventies, if Thatcher hadn't come along I'd have emigrated as soon as I left university.

Edit: Actually, there a number of interesting 'alternate future' TV shows from the 70s showing the kind of future people of the time expected before Thatcher was elected; 'The Guardians', '1990', and 'Quatermass IV', for example. Anything from a military coup to Soviet-style totalitarianism seemed possible back then.
    Last edited by Edward M. Grant; May 16th, 2012 at 09:27 PM.

Blog Entries
    Avengers

Been to see this twice now and loved it.

Caught the Avengers thought it was good not great.

I went into Avengers without any expectations, and it was awesome; I can't wait to see it again. And if you haven't stayed for the second secret scene at the very end, you are missing a laugh out loud moment!