Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Chronicle - not your usual movie where the main characters chance on having secret powers. This was a refreshingly new take on it, with some great acting and fast pace - definitely worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsiyeed View Post
    Chronicle - not your usual movie where the main characters chance on having secret powers. This was a refreshingly new take on it, with some great acting and fast pace - definitely worth a watch.
    I really enjoyed Chronicle, but a lot of people I know either loved or hated it.

I watched John Carter was decent, nothing spectacular and I just didn't like the actors, so that's what Hollywood spends 250 million dollars on these days eh? 6/10

The Sly Stallone version of Judge Dredd, or I Can Shout Loudly, Can You Shout Loudly Too?

It's one of those films that's so badly done (yet nothing about it is particularly bad, funnily enough) that it ends up being kinda good.

The Avengers. What a hoot! Marvel were very clever to bring Joss Whedon on board. I can't imagine anybody else balancing the characters and action in this movie as well as he did. And there's heaps of lolz.

Blog Entries
    Iron Sky; what can I say... I loved it!

A funny movie with a serious undercurrent. Though there will be those that will be offended by it. A modern day Dr Stangelove.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Back from Prometheus.

Brilliant, brilliant movie. Thoughtful script, great acting, superb visuals. Loved it.

Mark
    Mark

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Back from Prometheus.

Brilliant, brilliant movie. Thoughtful script, great acting, superb visuals. Loved it.

Mark
    Excellent. My OH want's to see a movie this long weekend. In 3D if possible. Would it add anything, do you think?

Blog Entries
    Saw it in 3D (or as my computer insists, úD), Chuff. It was good: not quite Avatar úD but not bad. I tend to see films in 3D at the cinema so that I can then see the 2D version on DVD.

What I did notice was the epic-ness of some of the scenes which made me think 'Made for IMAX'.

Some of the reviews have been quite damning, though I'm not sure why. I suspect the link to Alien may have set some expectations too high.

Me, I just thought visually it was amazing. And it does answer some big questions.

Mark
    Mark

Hunger Games...tomorrow is Avengers

Saw it in 3D (or as my computer insists, úD), Chuff. It was good: not quite Avatar úD but not bad. I tend to see films in 3D at the cinema so that I can then see the 2D version on DVD.

What I did notice was the epic-ness of some of the scenes which made me think 'Made for IMAX'.

Some of the reviews have been quite damning, though I'm not sure why. I suspect the link to Alien may have set some expectations too high.

Me, I just thought visually it was amazing. And it does answer some big questions.

Mark
    Good to hear - I'm seeing it in 3D this coming Friday (doesn't start until Thursday here).

Blog Entries
    PROMETHEUS

Excellent film, epic in every sense with some outstanding performances especially Michael Fassbender and Noomi Rapace.

Some minor quibbles; the 'space trucker chat' seemed to lack the blue collar sensibilities of the first film,( although Charlize Theron no nonsense CEO was spot on ) , Rapace making a far too quick post-op recovery and I thought Guy Pearce was mis-cast.

All that aside a totally gripping, thrilling, immersive experience.

I saw it 2D. ( don't like 3D's colour loss). I heard Ridley Scott in a radio interview say the 2D is an excellent print and I can't argue with the man.

Blog Entries
    Don't think I disagree majorly with any of that, ubergeek: I also thought Idris Elba was great.

Guy Pearce was... odd, though
    Spoiler:
    I'm not sure anyone would recognise him under all that makeup
    unless they knew already.

But some of those widescreen shots made my jaw drop.

Mark
    Mark

I also thought Idris Elba was great.
    But isn't Idris Elba, by definition, always great? I didn't think it was possible for him to be anything but...
    Last edited by Erfael; June 2nd, 2012 at 11:09 PM.

Blog Entries
    But isn't Idris Elba, by definition, always great? I didn't think it was possible for him to be anything but...
    LOL. Good point. It is, on the whole, a quality cast.

Further thoughts:

There's a lot of debate in the UK about the value of the 3D.

Finding it quite interesting.

The 3D is subtle, and definitely not one of those films where you've got things poking out of the screen for effect. It did get to the point where I just accepted it, which is what I personally think a movie should do. Less about the bells and whistles, more about the immersive experience.

The negative comments seem to be from those who were expecting something more Alien vs Predator than Alien. I wouldn't say that it is a genre-changing movie, like perhaps Alien was, but it is definitely one of the best SF movies I've seen for a while.

I am still hearing rumours of a UK15 certificate in the cinemas may turn into an UK18 'Director's Cut' with added material, though I've not picked up on anything definite. Ridley himself has said that there's lots of material left over, which would allow this to happen. I think that part of this is wishing on the part of fans because Ridley has done this before with Blade Runner, Alien and Kingdom of Heaven all being re-edited to Directors Cuts.

He has also said that there are two possible sequels planned before you get to the events of Alien. Not sure if this is entirely a good thing, but it couldn't be in better hands under Ridley.

Further aside: In an interview on the BBC on Friday, he said that a sequel to Blade Runner is quite possible at the moment.

Mark
    Mark

Blog Entries
    Back from Prometheus.

Mark
    Damn you U.K. people! We have to wait until July to see it. (Sigh)

At least I'm hearing that it is as good as advertised. Usually hard to go wrong with Ridley Scott, particularly with the visual look of a film.