Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    I wouldn't say Mark Ruffalo is my favorite Bruce Banner, but I did like him in that role. It worked very well. And I very much enjoyed Avengers, too. The Tony Stark character is funny. But, I had heard about the small uproar about the adoption quip. I noticed it when Thor made the joke, but didn't think it was that offensive. I mean, he was trying to defend himself rather than take a dig at Loki. Did anyone else think that joke crossed a line or might adopters be making too big of a stink about this?
    Oh I hadn't even heard this was a thing. People need to get over themselves. Also, I'm happy that the Keanu Reeves discussion has reminded that one of my favourite Iron Man lines was when he referred to Thor as "Point Break"

Joe D'Amata's Beyond the Darkness and Let the Right One In (my first viewing). Beyond the Darkness is a classic Italian gorefest, which I happen to really enjoy and quite possibly one of the sickest horror films ever put to celluloid. Let the Right One In was great, though I didn't find much difference between it and Let Me In, the Americanized film version of this story. If I had to chose though, I'd say this one is just a little better than Let Me In.

I just watched Alien for the first time. Pathetic, right?

Just came back from seeing Prometheus. Really great film. Ridley Scott was in fine form, bringing us back to the roots of this classic creature of scifi cinema. A few references to other classics as well if you look for them (imo, some of the shots remind me of 2001 space odyssey).

Rogue Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightblade View Post
    Just came back from seeing Prometheus. Really great film. Ridley Scott was in fine form, bringing us back to the roots of this classic creature of scifi cinema. A few references to other classics as well if you look for them (imo, some of the shots remind me of 2001 space odyssey).
    I'm hoping to see this soon, I seen a cool article just about the ship, looks like 2012 is a great year for awesome movies.

Banned
    Blog Entries

this is from my alter ego.

going to see PROMETHEUS in IMAX 3D tonight. Will post a review via @WizardWyrm on twitter. Snow White and the Huntsman review is up now.

I just watched John Carter, the new Disney movie, and despite what the critics say I liked it. I will say that it's not a kid movie, there is a plot and a very creative language. They don't have presidents, or kings, they have their own titles, which is hard for people with lower IQ's to deal with. I am guessing that people expected a simple plot, lots of fighting and no back story. It could have been better, but it wasn't a flop like I was hearing. I think that a serious sci-fi freak will like it.
    Enjoy!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Dobbs View Post
    I just watched John Carter, the new Disney movie, and despite what the critics say I liked it. I will say that it's not a kid movie, there is a plot and a very creative language. They don't have presidents, or kings, they have their own titles, which is hard for people with lower IQ's to deal with. I am guessing that people expected a simple plot, lots of fighting and no back story. It could have been better, but it wasn't a flop like I was hearing. I think that a serious sci-fi freak will like it.
    Enjoy!
    I liked John Carter a lot, too. I left the movie envisioning the toy stores and Christmas trees laden with plastic John Carter action figurines. It was great.

Just came back from Prometheus in 3D - I liked it a lot.

The big positives were fantastic design, cinematography and effects. Very good acting from pretty much the whole cast, and the story does answer some questions and links to the Alien series.

I guess the negatives would be that I thought the ending was a bit ambiguous and nothing earth-shattering (though it does set up well for a sequel), and also some of the dialogue was a bit unimaginative. Some of the scenes and sub-plots felt a bit redone, eg
    Spoiler:
    the "evil" corporation rep., the android losing it's head and saving the heroine, the group of crew just there for the money.

Overall though I'm sure it'll be in one of my top movies for the year, just had a lot of hype to live up to.

Banned
    Blog Entries

My Review of PROMETHEUS

Review “The aliens blew my mind” – M.R. Review originaly posted here
    By twittersfantasyebookguide

Tickets for 2 – $32.00

2 Hot Dogs – $11.00

2 Diet Dr. Peppers – $13.00

Getting to see PROMETHEUS in IMAX 3D on opening night at the Warren Theater in Moore, Oklahoma – Priceless

Ok… I really liked the movie. There was a lot from Alien in this sci-fi space travel thriller. A lot. Weird creepy android, a crew waking from cryogenic hibernation, belly bursting creatures, exciting, “Pulse-Pounding” action. The first of the movie had a “2001 a Space Odyssey” feel to it. It graduated, a little slowly, into an arm-rest-gripping, who is going to bite it first, type of theme.

The 3D effects were pointless, save for one awesome scene where we see space (several galaxies worth) all represented in hologram-like clockwork imagery. This scene blew my mind.

The aliens blew my mind.

This is great sci-fi fun, and worth the cost of a premium ticket. If you loved the original Alien, you’ll definitely love this. It had elements of horror, thriller, drama, a little romance, and once the story developed and I know the characters a bit, the action took over and I was enthralled. The ending was a great tie in. I can’t say more about that without being a spoiler.

4 stars – losing one for lack of a truly original story. It would have been 3 stars, but the special FX, and action sequences carried the movie after the first 30. It was the same 30 minutes of build up I’ve seen in several movies before.

Recommended – M.R.
    Last edited by M. R. Mathias; June 8th, 2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: nevermind

Blog Entries

Prometheus

I loved the movie. It has been awhile since I left a theater with a lot of questions and ideas bussing around my head. Yes, there are a lot of similarities with the Alien franchise, but I can see the possibilities of shooting off in an entirely different direction. I liked the Mayan ritualistic feeling the opening gave and the fact that we never hear an enginneer speak in this movie. They come off as very aloof. I have so many questions and conjectures that I eagerly await the next installment. As for the 3D, I loved it. It has come a long way. Still needs to go further though because sometimes it still looks like layers of paper cutouts (river in the beginning).

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    A disappointing Underworld: Awakening. Very short. Also........lightweight is the best word I can think of. As if they are going to churn out a hundred sequels so didn't bother to go for broke on this one.

On the plus side, Kate Beckinsale in rubber and a corset.

I saw Prometheus at the IMAX 3D cinema in Melbourne on the weekend. I have really mixed feelings about this one. Visually it was stunning, I liked the ideas behind the story, and the actors were all very good. There were some sphincter-clenching scenes of tension and terror. I liked the ambiguity and the fact that itís a movie you can keep thinking about for days after seeing it. What I really love was that this is a big screen Hollywood movie prepared to take SF seriously. But I hated the way the plot was executed, including the fact it was riddled with plot holes, I despised the obvious concession to the Hollywood mainstream and thought the script bordered on atrocious at parts. Most of the characters have their brains fall out a quarter of the way through the movie and you can actually see the excellent actors struggling to make sense of the lines and actions required by the script. My ultimate feeling towards to movie is one of liking it deeply for its ambitions towards epic, serious and thoughtful science fiction on the big screen, and all the other elements that worked so well, but also embittered due to a grave sense of disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Aware Eagle View Post
    I just watched Alien for the first time. Pathetic, right?

Um, not really? IMHO, one of the best films ever made. Iím interested to see that somebody coming to the film fresh today has this reaction. Iím willing to concede some of the set design for the Nostromo has dated poorly, but this does not diminish the film as a tightly constructed haunted house story set in space. The rest of the design by Geiger still feels perfectly out of time.

What exactly did you find pathetic? (Friendly advice: Around these parts you might find yourself drawing some heated reactions by expressing strong opinions without justification or reasons. Calling a movie that many people love ďpatheticĒ seems to be a calculated aim to raise some ire, though Iím sure that wasnít your intention.)

Quote Originally Posted by Luke_B View Post
    Um, not really? IMHO, one of the best films ever made. I’m interested to see that somebody coming to the film fresh today has this reaction. I’m willing to concede some of the set design for the Nostromo has dated poorly, but this does not diminish the film as a tightly constructed haunted house story set in space. The rest of the design by Geiger still feels perfectly out of time.

What exactly did you find pathetic? (Friendly advice: Around these parts you might find yourself drawing some heated reactions by expressing strong opinions without justification or reasons. Calling a movie that many people love “pathetic” seems to be a calculated aim to raise some ire, though I’m sure that wasn’t your intention.)
    Haha, I suppose I should have been more clear: it's pathetic on my part that it's taken me this long to watch Alien. I've always heard about how great it was. My roommate even has a copy. I just never got around to it until now. I thought it was excellent.
    Oddly enough, I'd already seen Aliens a couple of years ago. It's great as well.
    Last edited by Mr. Aware Eagle; June 12th, 2012 at 07:10 PM.

Righto. Makes sense now. Glad you enjoyed it!