Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    Book of the Black Earth
    Blog Entries
    We saw Prometheus last night. Soooooo disappointing. As I told my wife afterward, there were some things I really liked (the look and atmosphere, the mythology-building), but a lot of things about the movie were really, really bad. Massive plot holes, faulty motivations, cringe-worthy dialogue, character stupidity, and poorly executed Hollywood-movie cliches.

I think Sir Scott couldn't decide if this was a thought-provoking SF movie or a monster-chase. The result is a mess.

Banned
    Blog Entries

John Carter (Amazon Streaming Version) Reviewed. “Solid Sci-Fi entertainment. Loved i

I watch movies on my Kindle Fire a lot. A LOT! So I will be reviewing some streaming movies in the future. I also have an HD projector that I can hook my Kindle Fire up to and watch on my wall on an 8ft wide perfectly clear screen. I saw John Carter in IMAX 3D, but when I saw it on my wall, played from my Kindle through my – not so expensive – projector, I was amazed at the perfect clarity, even with the screen opened up to 8ft wide. For sound, I just ran an 1/8 stereo cord from the Kindle’s headphone jack to my bands sound system.

OK… I’m pleased with my system, and I am not trying to brag, but its pertinent to reviewing a streaming product that you know what sort of system I watched on. I would consider mine just a touch above average, including my high speed internet connection.

Now to the review.

John Carter was like watching Starwars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Alien, and Sherlock Holmes all twisted into one great fantastical story. I was especially surprised by the clever twists at the end. This movie is great. The reviewers who dashed it early on have questionable judgment in my eyes. Even more than the previously mentioned movie greats, John Carter managed to be different than all of those films, and more original than most of the newer Sci-Fi movies I’ve seen.

Great for all ages, with enough, romance, action, and battle to keep adults intrigued, this will be a DVD/BlueRay classic that everyone will at one time own. Buy it in digital format and you’ll only have to buy it once.

Highly Recommended – M. R. Review originaly posted here

Book of the Black Earth
    Blog Entries
    I ought John Carter was okay, certainly not as bad as some of the reviews made it out to be. Good settings, good concept. My biggest complaint was the lack of charisma on the part of the main characters (the CGI characters were every bit as entertaining as the real actors).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Sprunk View Post
    I ought John Carter was okay, certainly not as bad as some of the reviews made it out to be. Good settings, good concept. My biggest complaint was the lack of charisma on the part of the main characters (the CGI characters were every bit as entertaining as the real actors).
    Looking back I have to agree that the main character lacked depth. He was no Indiana Jones, that's for certain. I was just informed via a comment on the Amazon review I posted, that there is a Backtobarsoom . com movement of people petitioning for a part II ...lol

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I liked John Carter too (the movie, haven't read the books). Too bad about Prometheus, I was looking forward to it. I've heard too much bad about it to risk the full price of a night at the movies. However, folks said the same thing about John Carter, but both my husband and I liked it (we had no expectations). Not loved it, but we had ourselves a good time watching it. Will ponder Prometheus some more...

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    I liked John Carter too (the movie, haven't read the books). Too bad about Prometheus, I was looking forward to it. I've heard too much bad about it to risk the full price of a night at the movies. However, folks said the same thing about John Carter, but both my husband and I liked it (we had no expectations). Not loved it, but we had ourselves a good time watching it. Will ponder Prometheus some more...
    My take on Prometheus
    http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showp...&postcount=205

My 2 cents worth - I absolutely loved my night out to see Prometheus. I was rivited from start to finish. It was absolutely beautifully shot, the effects were great and it left me with more questions than when I walked in - so wonderfully frustrating. Sure there were some plot holes and logic faults but it was a **** ton of fun. I really don't know if I have ever covered my face in shock/horror before but I did watching this. Love those Engineers. I would not recommend the 3-D, I dont think it added much of anything.

Perhaps I am easy to please and can easily suspend my diebelief more than others - if so, man am I lucky.

Cheers all.

Book of the Black Earth
    Blog Entries
    Daddy,

I get your reaction. I really liked some parts of Prometheus, too. It just that those plot holes and logic failures (and the offbeat motivations) are things that could have been fixed. I don't need perfection. Just treat me like I have half a brain.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    DD is my Canadian soul-mate, so if he liked it, I'm sure to like it too. (We need to write something together, DD!)

I hear you Jon, but like DD, it doesn't take much to suspend my disbelief. I'll give it a go, but will bypass the 3D viewing.

Thanks all!

Blog Entries
    My take on the plot holes is that there are more things to learn yet. Remember, there are more movies to come unlike Alien, which he only made one of. Others took the series further. I don't think the actors seemed to struggle with the story although it was ambitious. I will concede there are some moments that can turn into plot holes if Ridley does not clear them up in future movies. One twist that I learned about from the youtube interviews was that there may have been two androids on the ship. Finally, I loved how it had the feel in some ways of Alien and the connections were there, but you also got the sense of a totally new story developing.

Priest. It wasn't a bad idea, but it was a bad movie.

Not Uwe Boll bad, but still... bad.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Just got back from "Rock of Ages." 3 stars. My foot tapped the whole time and the music was fun, BUT the story was lame.

Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    DD is my Canadian soul-mate, so if he liked it, I'm sure to like it too. (We need to write something together, DD!)

I hear you Jon, but like DD, it doesn't take much to suspend my disbelief. I'll give it a go, but will bypass the 3D viewing.

Thanks all!
    You just made my day!!! And if I could break through my current wall of writer's block I'd be all over it.

I saw the second Sherlock Holmes and Goon on the weekend. I really liked both actually. I'm on a big Liev Schreiber kick after Goon though. What an awesome performance for a goofy fun kind of movie (did manage to have some heart though). Anyways the point is my top wish for Game of Thrones is that Liev Schreiber play Mance Rayder. Really Id be happy to see him anywhere on there but what a Mance he'd be

WOW! Worst movie I have seen in a very long time - Twilight: Breaking Dawn part 1. Absolute garbage. Almost nothing happened for an hour and the big werewolf vs vampire showdown near the end resulted in not a single fatality nor injury from what I could tell. Rotten rotten rotten. The best part of it actually was how much fun my wife and I had tearing it apart. Has Bella every smiled once in the entire series of movies - I am not sure. What the Hell is pt 2 going to be like. Why did they need to break this story in two? Anyone else see this stinkbomb?