Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Tonight:

Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (2005) - George Lucas has apparently stopped directing films Hurrah! Tonight, to complete my kids' exposure to the Star Wars saga I finally got round to watching the last of them. Dear Gods! what a marathon bore it was. The kids were yawning and fidgeting by the 90 minute mark and I was prepared to scream if I saw another establishing shot of a space craft aproaching a landing pad, rotate 180º, unfold legs, and touchdown. Enough already!
    Mulholland Drive (2001) - just to get the taste of Star Wars out of my head, I crammed it full of David Lynchy weirdness and Naomi Watts and Laura Harring having lashings of lipstick lesbian sex. That's what's really wrong with the Star Wars Saga. Not enough tits.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Having thought Dark Knight Rises was good (and I want to see it again), having just watched Dark Knight, on DVD, it is a surprise to me how much better it is.

Mark
    Mark, forgive my confusion, but which film did you think was better?

I intend to see 'rises' in next few days.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    May just be the way I say them, uber!

Dark Knight Rises is good (and worth seeing at the cinema, IMO.)

BUT

Dark Knight is better.

Hopefully clearer!

Mark
    Mark

Does Bane's voice work, Mark? I've only heard bits and pieces of the new one via a video that's been passed around the 'net, but nothing really concrete.

I saw The Dark Knight Rises last night and loved it. I can see where Mark is coming from. I sat through a lot of the movie thinking this is good, but not as good as The Dark Knight. But then I thought the finale took it to that same level. It probably falls just short of The Dark Knight simply because it lacks the mesmerising performance of Heath Ledger. Tom Hardy is very good -- he has an outstanding physical presence and his eyes are very expressive (and his voice is fine except for a couple of mumbled lines) -- but Bane as a villain isn't as interesting at the Joker. Nevertheless, Christopher Nolan has cemented his place as my favourite director. Can't wait to see what he does next!

In Theatres: Prometheus. I enjoyed it. I'm not sure I would add it to my collection. While the visual elements and cinematography were second to none, possessing few to none of the gimmicks found in the vulgar special effects bonanzas, the script needed work. A surprising number of questions were answered early, and the more interesting ones were left hanging. We're left with a story that could go some very interesting places, but I'm also left wondering why they didn't go a few of those places in the movie itself. I also found the horror elements... weren't that scary.

In general: The Disappearance of Suzumiya Haruhi. I started a bout a third of the way in, but it looks like I hadn't missed much. It was a dubbed version, and I was surprised at the quality of the voice work. Either animé dubs have come a long way, or I've just gotten more relaxed over the years. The film itself was slowly paced, but the tempo was appropriate for setting the mood and tone of the piece. I'm not the biggest fan of Suzumiya Haruhi - most stories in the series are rigged to maintain the status quo and repress conflict - but the premise of the movie drew me in because it centered around the largest break in the status quo you could imagine in that universe. "Disappearance" is moody, perhaps a bit sentimental, and contemplative. The film's practice of drawing animated characters onto photographic backgrounds contributed a certain surreality to the art, and the character animation, while not always at full frame rate, had excellent staging and motion design.

I saw the Dark Knight Rises yesterday and I loved it. An excellent capstone to the trilogy. Not just a good superhero movie, but an excellent film.

Jim

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Does Bane's voice work, Mark?
    Sorry, I missed that one! But Luke's answered it for me. Does raise an interesting point though about when the film transfers to DVD/TV and whether it will be as clear at home as when it is the same volume of the cinema....

And Luke: you've said what I thought much better than I did. The ending was good, and Tom was good, but Bane's never been much of a villain to me. Not like the Joker.

I have since bought the BBC Audio version of Knightfall and look forward to listening to that again, for comparison. It's been more than a decade...

Mark
    Mark

Well, I listen with headphones so if it's a little weak it should be okay for me.

I actually found the digital effects on Tom Hardy's voice quite effective. He has this creepy, mechanical sound to his voice which matches his cold and analytical personality. I don't want to spoil anything, but the first time you hear him speak it is done really well. I think the clarity on Blu Ray/DVD will depend on the quality of your home theatre system.
    Last edited by Luke_B; August 5th, 2012 at 11:57 PM. Reason: typo

His voice booms out of that mask with a lot of clank and buzz strapped onto it, but the voice itself has been jacked up by the sounds engineers in such a way that usually despite all the racket what he is saying comes through quite clearly. Not sure how it will go at home, I think it will be fine though. Loved DKR, nicely combined some elements of some of my favourite Batman stories and accomplished a rare thing: an ending to a Batman story. Like seriously, how many complete and final Batman endings are there? I found this one quite satisfying.

I watched the Grey and it was pretty strong stuff other than some Hollywood silliness with shotgun shells and a basic lack of understanding of what works and what doesn't in EXTREME cold. As a resident of northern Ontario the premise hit kind of close to home, surviving a plane crash in Alaska in the winter seems absolutely nightmarish, I've been in the kind of cold they are portraying and it feels like every second is a struggle to live (so a lot of the movie was a bit like watching Dune, "what self-respecting Fremen would walk around with the mouthpiece off?"). It wasn't the kind of ending I was expecting though.

Blog Entries
    The Dark Knight Rises

I agree with the general consensus. A good film to complete a pretty excellent trilogy. And, whisper it, I got quite emotional at the end.

Blog Entries
    Brave

Och Aye, another good film from Pictsar!

Watched the Cabin in the Woods and thought it was very good. Nice genre mix and you didn't know what to expect.

Going to see The Bourne Legacy on the weekend...

A little late to the party but I just saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Man, it was totally awesome. I thought it was amazing from beginning to the end. I can't wait for a follow up b/c it is amazing where it could go.

Also just saw, Immortals. Which was a steaming pile of dog %$#@! If you get my meaning. Mickey Rourke - seriously! The Gods of Olympus looked like they were part of some print ad for a fragrance or some delectable choclate. I was not 100% up on my greek myth but knew they were just bastardizing. Come on greek myth is amazing source material you dont have to free style here. I would like to see a movie really do something with those myths and do it right.

Ah well, they can't all be winners!
    Last edited by Daddy Darth; August 21st, 2012 at 09:46 AM.