Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Just saw ARGO last night. Very good movie highly recommended. While the events depicted and tense and sometimes chilling, Alan Arkin and John Goodman provide excellent comic relief. The movie would not have been half as good without their contributions.

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close(: Just watched it about 20 minutes ago! & yess! definitely

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Saw Skyfall earlier today. Really enjoyable Bond movie with some nice touches to the past and some setting up for the future.

On the strength of this it's pretty clear that Bond will return.

Rather Dark Knight in places and interestingly, less gadgets, less 'Bond girls' and more plot. The bad guy is quite odd at first ('Camp' doesn't quite do him justice) but quite brilliant. Great action sequence before the credits, great ending.

The photography overall is stunning: scenes in Shanghai is jaw-dropping, very reminiscent of Blade Runner. (Presume its there for the IMAX crowd.... but it looks great.)

Judi Dench and Daniel Craig together are winners, and M has a lot to do in this one.

Want to go see it again.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    The bad guy is quite odd at first ('Camp' doesn't quite do him justice) but quite brilliant.
    Javier Bardem is a great actor. He was, for a while, said to be the top choice for Roland in the Dark Tower adaptations. You should really watch No Country For Old Men to see how good he is.

But eh. It's still a Bond film. Eh.

I think JunkMonkey, our resident Dirty Old Man, will be pleased with my slightly premature Hallowe'en viewing - Young Frankenstein (particularly for its perky young femme, Inga). Definitely one of Mel Brooks' best films, and not just for its excellent casting. The jokes, the fourth-wall breakages, Marty Feldman's expressions directed at absolutely no-one in particular - it's just full of strange little things that add up to make one of the best horror spoofs ever created... And few, if any, have managed to rival it in the nearly 40 years since it was done.

"Igor, can you give me a hand with the bags?"
    "Certainly, you take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Only gripes I have, really, are some of the jokes aren't quite explained (particularly that police officer with the fake arm(s?)), and I'm not really sure I needed to see the monster get his rocks off. Least subtle sex scenes to have ever been done in any film ever... short of sex itself being shown on screen.

Also, remind me to never give Junkie the idea to write a film starring himself and a lot of perky young women. Yeah, I'll never give him that idea. They'd probably have to bring back one of those old film ratings...

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    LOVE Young Frankenstein... so many scenes.... the one where Frederick "Fronk-en-steen" stabs himself with a scalpel and keeps on going... the neighing of horses every time Frau Blucher is mentioned... Gene Hackman as the blind man who meets the Monster... and the song at the end, because you should always finish on a song.... Marty Feldman... brilliant.
    Mark

Only gripes I have, really, are some of the jokes aren't quite explained (particularly that police officer with the fake arm(s?)),
    I think they're funny if you have seen the 1930s/40s originals. The fake arms thing is, I'm pretty sure, a reference to Lionel Atwill's character in Son of Frankenstein. If you haven't seen the originals, Loer, please do. Bride of Frankenstein is deliciously camp and probably funnier, though in a less obvious yok yok nudge nudge manner, than Young Frankenstein. The moment when the utterly lovely Valerie Hobson (in the title role) sighs, 'I do hope he won't upset Henry.' is a sublime moment.

I think JunkMonkey, our resident Dirty Old Man,
    Oi! I'm only 53! 'Resident Dirty Middle-Aged Man' please. (Though the phrase 'Dirty Middle-Aged Man' is an oxymoron to anyone under 35.)

Also, remind me to never give Junkie the idea to write a film starring himself and a lot of perky young women. Yeah, I'll never give him that idea. They'd probably have to bring back one of those old film ratings...
    If anyone knows who owns the film rights to Zeta Magazine.... I have vague memories of the magazine when I was about 10, and the film which I only caught up with a couple of years ago is chuffing dreadful. Seen it three times since, right enough...

By the way, does anyone have any idea where this odd NSFW-ish still is from? It's an image I found on one of my old hard drives. I seem to remember it may have been scanned from a pile of Cinema X magazine I bought at a wet car boot sale ("Give us five quid for the box, mate - ow! where's me f**king arm gone?" There were about 50 magazines in the box, none of them fetched less than a fiver.) Like an idiot (what do I mean 'like'?) I forgot to note what the film was. It's a weird image and I'd love to know the context it comes from.
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; October 27th, 2012 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    I think they're funny if you have seen the 1930s/40s originals. The fake arms thing is, I'm pretty sure, a reference to Lionel Atwill's character in Son of Frankenstein. If you haven't seen the originals, Loer, please do. Bride of Frankenstein is deliciously camp and probably funnier, though in a less obvious yok yok nudge nudge manner, than Young Frankenstein. The moment when the utterly lovely Valerie Hobson (in the title role) sighs, 'I do hope he won't upset Henry.' is a sublime moment.
    Yes, mum. They should all be in a boxset somewhere, oui?

Oi! I'm only 53! 'Resident Dirty Middle-Aged Man' please. (Though the phrase 'Dirty Middle-Aged Man' is an oxymoron to anyone under 35.)
    I'm 23. You're old to me, old man. Old old old.

If anyone knows who owns the film rights to Zeta Magazine.... I have vague memories of the magazine when I was about 10, and the film which I only caught up with a couple of years ago is chuffing dreadful. Seen it three times since, right enough...
    I want that blue jumpsuit from the third picture. Seriously. Want it!

By the way, does anyone have any idea where this odd NSFW-ish still is from? It's an image I found on one of my old hard drives. I seem to remember it may have been scanned from a pile of Cinema X magazine I bought at a wet car boot sale ("Give us five quid for the box, mate - ow! where's me f**king arm gone?" There were about 50 magazines in the box, none of them fetched less than a fiver.) Like an idiot (what do I mean 'like'?) I forgot to note what the film was. It's a weird image and I'd love to know the context it comes from.
    I'm so glad I didn't have a mouthful of Weetabix when I looked at that. I'd have either coated my monitor with it or choked.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    I'm 23. You're old to me, old man. Old old old.
    I will mail you a copy of this thread in 25 years time and watch you crumble into embarrassment pie with a side order of fluster pudding. Old is a brain thing, not a body thing. My Dad is old. He acts old. He thinks old. He sits in a chair all day listening to Handle oratorios, drinking whisky, and feeling sorry for himself. My wife's friend Dan is about the same age as my father. He's widowed and has recently taken up flying microlights - apparently he's too old to get a pilot's licence but there's no age restriction on strapping an engine onto a hang glider and going wherever you want. I don't know about the rest of the wrinklies around here but inside my head I'm still about 30. I started getting it right when I was 30 ('it' defined as being happy, not screwing everything up etc.). Turns out I was an utter idiot before that. Five years later my wife threw me out and I had to start all over again but what the hell. I got it right faster the second time. Experience. Wanna know my trick to not getting old? Never listen to Radio 2, never read the Daily Mail or The Express and avoid anything which lists The Top 100 all time anythings. To misquote Dune 'nostalgia is the Mind killer'. Start looking back at the good old days through rose tinted glasses and you're frelled. These are the Good Old Days. Apart obviously from British 1970s sleazy magazines. They were great.

I want that blue jumpsuit from the third picture. Seriously. Want it!
    Go splits with you. Can I have the contents?

I'm so glad I didn't have a mouthful of Weetabix when I looked at that. I'd have either coated my monitor with it or choked.
    Wmahahahaha! My work is done.

To get back on topic (ooooh! do you remember when Topic Bars had whole hazel nuts in not crushed-up ones and it was Bill Oddie who did the adverts, do you remember? The Goodies were funny though, weren't they? Dead hilarious. I wonder why they don't bring them back - and Spangles! They should bring them back. But they did bring back Spangles didn't they - but they were the wrong shape. And Sherbet Fountains don't come in paper tubes any more, it's all plastic, they used to come in little cardboard tubes just like the inside of miniature toilet rolls - oooh and do you remember shiny toilet paper.... That's enough of that, Ed. ) To get back on topic. Last night I watched R.O.T.O.R., a 1988 Robocopy filmed in Texas. It was dreadful. Really beyond dreadful and out the other side. I loved it.
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; October 28th, 2012 at 10:37 PM.

I just watched The Avengers, Battleship, Think Like A Man and Madea's Witness Protection. I have to say that The Avengers was my favorite and will go into my Top 10 Fav Movies list!

Yes, Avengers was good Tickle. Just saw Looper it was great. Just great storytelling with great character development.

I will mail you a copy of this thread in 25 years time and watch you crumble into embarrassment pie with a side order of fluster pudding. Old is a brain thing, not a body thing. My Dad is old. He acts old. He thinks old. He sits in a chair all day listening to Handle oratorios, drinking whisky, and feeling sorry for himself. My wife's friend Dan is about the same age as my father. He's widowed and has recently taken up flying microlights - apparently he's too old to get a pilot's licence but there's no age restriction on strapping an engine onto a hang glider and going wherever you want. I don't know about the rest of the wrinklies around here but inside my head I'm still about 30. I started getting it right when I was 30 ('it' defined as being happy, not screwing everything up etc.). Turns out I was an utter idiot before that. Five years later my wife threw me out and I had to start all over again but what the hell. I got it right faster the second time. Experience. Wanna know my trick to not getting old? Never listen to Radio 2, never read the Daily Mail or The Express and avoid anything which lists The Top 100 all time anythings. To misquote Dune 'nostalgia is the Mind killer'. Start looking back at the good old days through rose tinted glasses and you're frelled. These are the Good Old Days. Apart obviously from British 1970s sleazy magazines. They were great.
    Don't worry, I don't read the Fail or the Sex Pest (as they are known in some circles), but I'm not averse to Radio 2 despite it not really being my kind of music. But I do listen to things on Radio 4. Ahem. I know what you mean, though.

Go splits with you. Can I have the contents?
    Is that a proposition?

Not strictly a movie, but I just watched Shrek's Thrilling Tales, one of those 5-quid-from-Tesco DVDs. Collects four new shorts and also contains Scared Shrekless (released on DVD last year), which is a bit cheeky of Dreamworks.

What did I think?
    Thriller parody - very short, didn't quite work, but it was kinda funny in its own way.
    The Pig Who Cried Werewolf - I liked this one. Rather silly, but ended abruptly.
    The Ghost of Lord Farquaad - I think this is adapted from the Shrek 4D film. Um. Yeah. It's not exactly high quality, the animation and lighting/shadowing seems pretty off, and it just didn't seem to make much sense.
    Monsters vs Aliens: Night of the Living Carrots - Out of place on this DVD, seemed to be low quality (for DreamWorks) and all but Seth Rogen had been replaced, and even then I couldn't tell it was him as B.O.B., but it was kinda silly and I did enjoy it, though I was disappointed.

And Scared Shrekless was pretty good, I guess.
    Last edited by Loerwyn; October 30th, 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Artist, Cartoonist & Dude Action Avenue's Avatar
    Bought a copy of The Raven for my wife and we watched it maybe three or four days ago. Another one that was just ok (not terrible, not spectacular either). I don't know which is worse: watching a mediocre movie or a really, really bad movie. At least with a terrible movie, one can savor the joy of poking fun at the expense of everyone involved with the process of making the movie. With a so-so movie, it just sits there begging for a strong opinion either in favor of it or against it and not getting either. This is the second so-so movie I've experienced in a row (the last one was Prometheus). Hopefully, I am not becoming too jaded for movies. Any thoughts out there?
    Last edited by Action Avenue; November 1st, 2012 at 01:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    I recently saw a creepy little movie called The Devil's Double about an Iraqi soldier who is coerced into being Uday Hussien's body double who makes public appearances while the real Uday whores and murders to his psychopathic indulgences (a little too vividly for my tastes but I suppose that's the point). Apparently this is a true story (the character portrayed as the body double escaped Iraq and is living in hiding even today).

It does make you wonder though. Are there 20 Obama and Romney body doubles out there campaigning for election? Did the real Romney and/or Obama actually take part in the presidential debates recently? The possibilities are endless and somewhat frightening.