Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    At Play in the Fields of the Lord (1991) three hours long and ****ing brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I watched Fanboys yesterday. That was certainly...a thing. It seemed like scenes from a lot of other movies I enjoyed cobbled together and recast into this movie. Sure there were some laughs and HEY LOOK, IT'S WILLIAM SHATNER cameos, but boy am I glad I didn't pay to see this thing. At least I got to see Kristen Bell in Princess Leia Slave outfit.
    Was she her usual sour looking, pasty faced self ?

She was supposed to be a nerd and she had brown hair so it worked better than usual in that one. She wasn't being expected by anyone to be a comedic lead so that was better than some of her movies now too.

Horrible Bosses was pretty good, Charlie Day is a lot funnier on It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia though.

Watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and found it boring, boring, boring! Not my cup of tea.

Watched Redline last night and was blown away. The animation was fantastic and all hand drawn. The story was fun and everything was over the top. After watching it on netflix I am actually going to have to pick this one up.

I forgot to post on this before - but over the holidays my brother and I got together for a LOTR EE movie marathon. It was immersive and exhausting. I felt like Frodo and Sam after jumping from Mt Doom and laying on that rock in the lake of lava before the Eagles came. It was super cool to do so with my brother but it will be a bit before I try that again. We started just after lunch and ended somewhere near half past midnight with small breaks in b/w and I will admit to a couple of head nods after the battle at Pellinor Fields (totally missed Gollum biting the ring off Frodo's finger). Anyway it was good to hang with my bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Darth View Post
    I forgot to post on this before - but over the holidays my brother and I got together for a LOTR EE movie marathon.
    I think you have just described one of the seven circles of my own personal hell. The one next to the one where all the food has shrimps in it.

But then I watch cac* like:

Sanctuary
    ( 1998 ) - Straight to video Priest With a Past 'thriller' (he was a CIA hitman) which almost breaks new ground for me. The whole story is told within a framing device of 'our hero' being interviewed by dark figures. Cue title. '6 Days ago. Chicago... ' and the story proper starts to unfold in a flashback - except it doesn't because, almost as soon as we are settled into Chicago six days ago, we are soon kibitzing on a second layer of our hero's flashbacks. He starts off by taking us to 'Langley four years previously' and then hop skipping about his whole life from childhood onwards through years of rigorous training to be a government within a government sponsored assassin - before running away and becoming a priest. With me so far? Good. During one of these flashbacks - within a flashback - the younger child/hero/priest/assassin has a moment where, in soft memory-inducing focus, he has a reverie remembering his dead mother. For a moment there is a non-diegetic sound cue as he recalls the sound of her voice and for a second the film teetered on the edge of diving into a flashback - within a flashback - within a flashback! Heady stuff. I don't recall ever having been that close to a narrative chasm that deep before. The rest of it was ****. Pure unadulterated **** which alternated from confusing to boring and back again with without breaking stride. The bad guys hunt him down, lots of innocent people end up dead, the Priest starts killing people again without a shred of remorse and foils the evil plot to - er - do evil stuff. (What was the Evil Plot? I've forgotten.) Whatever. It also has one of the dumbest 'twist' let's-set-up-a-sequel endings: The hooded figures from the start of the film turn out to be a secret society of Papacy within a Papacy Catholic Priest Hitmen/Ninjas who want to recruit him.... oh God....

*it's Gaelic.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    If you put a 'k' on the end it means the same thing in my local dialect.

I bet it's pronounced differently though.

cac - say 'key' and then the soft Scottish 'ch' (as in loch).

Not to be confused with keek ('key' and a hard K - as in lock) which is the Scots for 'to peep' or 'to peer'. "Having a quick keek." is not the same as having a quick cac." though they sound almost identical.
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; January 28th, 2012 at 08:22 AM.

Inglourious Basterds

An incredibly violent comedy. I honestly don't know how I can sum it up - bloody excellent with some damn good acting, some brilliant script-writing and an absolute genius direction?

Not for the sensitive or faint of heart, though.

American version of Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I haven't seen the original foreign version but I really enjoyed this movie and will find a copy of the original to compare.

A rare outing to the cinema today to see Hugo. For those who don't know, it's a Martin Scorsese film and as IMDB says it's "[s]et in 1930s Paris, an orphan who lives in the walls of a train station is wrapped up in a mystery involving his late father and an automaton." Basically, this movie is Scorsese's love letter to earliest cinema. I was a bit disappointed to be honest. I was expecting something a bit more quirky and fantastical; but it's not the movie's fault it wasn't what I was wanting. It is still a charming family movie, laced with quirkiness and fantasy, if not fully-flavoured with it. It certainly had some of the feel of Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet's work, and not only because of the Parisian setting; there's a fairytale quality to the film, especially the over-the-top performances and atmospheric sets. All the actors are very good, especially Sacha Baron Cohen who plays the villainous Station Inspector. I saw it in 3D, which usually does nothing for me, but this one worked quite well. I would recommend it, despite my disappointment, and also recommend you see it at the cinema in 3D rather than waiting for DVD.

An aside: this may have already been mooted earlier in the thread, but should a mod close this thread and start a 2012 thread?

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Real Steel - meh, rocky with robots. However unlikable Hugh Jackman tries to be at the beginning it doesn't work and you absolutely know how the film will end up. If I was a kid this would have been awesome but for the adults not much there other than a large helping of cheese.

Over the past few days my wife and I watched a series of three incredible documentaries about the infamous West Memphis Three:

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills
    Paradise Lost 2: Revelations
    Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory

If I learned one thing it is that I don't want to get tangled up in the Arkansas legal system.

I don't know if I could watch those. I get mad enough about stuff like that (and the tale of the West Memphis Three is particularly infuriating) and over the course of 3 documentaries I think I'd blow my stack so bad my family might get put off. I heard an interview with the director and one of the titular 3 and the director was saying that they went to start the first one with the intention of making a movie about heartless young murderers (it was reflected in the title somehow but I forget the nuance) and he said he was eternally grateful that his contact at HBO was fully supportive when he started to look into it and began to realize that the boys were probably innocent.