Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Just saw Midnight in Paris. I usually don't like Woody Allen movies but this one was quirky and mildly interesting as it hammered home it's point: What may seem to be a "golden age" in our history from the persepective of now may not seem so "golden" to the people living in it.

I have been struggling through and finally gave up on The Descent II wondering why on earth did I decide to rent it in the first place! After all the first movie was only half good. I really got into the idea of a group of women into extreme sports going on a caving expedition; some of them with lots of experience and some of them total novices. They go off the map exploring a new set of tunnels when they are trapped in the unmapped system by a cave-in which injures one of the novices. Trapped underground with limited light, food and water they face a fascinating dilemma; do the more experienced cavers try to escape knowing that the injured, frightened, novices may doom them if they stay behind and help? Also the cinemaphotography really captures the pitch black, claustorphobic world of the underground perfectly.
    The movie then ridiculously veers off course by introducing hordes of carnivorous sub-human creatures that attack the party. It ruins what might have been a great film. The sequel is pure junk.

Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    Where did you even find Elektra?
    HMV last year for 3

It sounds like you went about 2 pounds too far to see it then lol.

Quote Originally Posted by saintjon View Post
    It sounds like you went about 2 pounds too far to see it then lol.
    Oddly, I don't agree. I think it was... watchable, just really, really cheesy. A lot of it didn't make sense or seemed very deus ex machina, plus a lot wasn't explained. Elektra's powers were shown, but never really explained, and there's a scene where she throws her sai (basically a pointy dagger) through countless hedges and into the head of one of the baddies who just happened to walk into its path. It's ridiculous.

If they'd explained things better, cast a different actress and had a less ridiculous set of villains, it could have worked. Almost.

I just watched The Troll Hunter which is a Norwegian movie I think - so, subtitles. I absolutely loved it and highly recommend it. It is filmed almost in the Blair Witch vein and the effects though not up to super Hollywood style totally work. The ending scene with the 200 ft troll is particularly effective. The take on the mythology and government coverup are handled pretty well as well. Again - I really liked it.

Unfortunately my unfantasy-fan wife came in the last 10 minutes or so to snicker.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    Thanks DD. Rub it in why don't you?

See my last post for context.

Ip Man and Ip Man 2.
    Donnie Yen as the legendary master of Wing Chun or however you want to spell it.
    Brilliant film. Yen potrayed Master Ip woth great style and dignity and the fight choreography was some of the best I've seen.
    Also watched "In Time" recently. Interesting story premise which reminded me of Logan's Run an other films of that ilk.
    I was a tad apprehensive with Justin Timberlake as the lead, but he was okay. The missus even commented "He's a better actor than singer."
    Of course that may or may not mean much

Sorry Chuff! I keep thinking about the movie though - it was good.

So what did I watch last - hmm. Memory is going and here I thought turning 40 didn't suck.

Oh yea, Season of the Witch with Nick Cage. I never quite bought into the movie b/c of the lack of appropriate accents but it was very enjoyable for so many other reasons. The opening montage of endless battle scenes was great and then it played out almost like some D & D quest! Loved that. I don't know that I would have felt like I got my money's worth, if you know what I mean, had I gone to the theater to see it but watching it On Demand on a slow Saturday night filled the bill.

Cheers.

Hmmm... think I should pick it up if it's cheap enough, Daddy D? Interested less in Cage and more in Perlman kicking ass.

I am a Cage fan, have been for a very long time - right back to Raising Arizona. If you get a good deal - sure why not! I picked up Thor for 8.50 this weekend - score.

And is it possible to get enough Perlman - I wonder if they are going to make another HellBoy?

Depends what happens with del Toro. I think Perlman's been quoted as saying if it's left too long he won't return as he's getting on a bit (isn't he almost 60?) and it's a lot of work for him.

The way it's looking, I'm doubtful that it'll happen, but I kinda hope they get around to the third Hellboy Animated film (which was also supposed to happen).

That'd be a shame b/c he is Hell Boy!!!! I have not seen the animated one - good, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Darth View Post
    That'd be a shame b/c he is Hell Boy!!!! I have not seen the animated one - good, eh?
    Both animated ones stick more to the source material - although not perfectly so, of course. They retain the voices from the film (Perlman, Blair, Jones, Hurt), add in Peri Gilpin (Roz from Fraiser) as Kate Corrigan - who was missing from the films - and they're pretty good, but the animation quality is a bit crap.

Perlman is a very good Hellboy though, you're right. It's be like having a Dredd film without Sly Stallone. Oh, wait, that's happening. And it looks a bit naff.

The Rum Diary and Dream House, The Rum Diary was great. It was kind of like a prequel to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas except that his name was Paul Kemp not Raul Duke. Dream House had some spooky parts but was lame as a whole, a story I've seen a hundred times.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Darth View Post
    And is it possible to get enough Perlman - I wonder if they are going to make another HellBoy?
    Given that I though number two was better than number one, a third might actually be worth watching.