Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazerus View Post
    It wasn't all Nick Cage's fault.
    Not often you see that written down.
    Last edited by JunkMonkey; February 20th, 2012 at 06:50 PM.

A chuffing heffalump Chuffalump's Avatar
    I've always thought he'd do a bang up job as a small town Elvis impersonator, cuckold, borderline alcoholic, redeemed by the love of an ageing prostitute.

Somewhere, somehow, I bet this film has already been made.

Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame. Good historical costume drama with plenty of the "hwa-cha!".

Quote Originally Posted by Chuffalump View Post
    I've always thought he'd do a bang up job as a small town Elvis impersonator, cuckold, borderline alcoholic, redeemed by the love of an ageing prostitute.

Somewhere, somehow, I bet this film has already been made.
    Not quite there was nothing borderline about the alcoholic in the movie I'm thinking of. Otherwise superlol.

Watched a couple of good movies recently - Hugo and The Adventures of Tintin. I thought Hugo was very good (but not 5 star great like many of the reviews it's been getting - the story was still fairly formulaic, but the direction and acting was excellent).

I enjoyed Tintin more (probably from being a big fan of the books), and it was nice to see a mix of ideas from at least three Tintin books thrown into one movie. Best animation film I've seen for a while.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Cell 211 - Decent Spanish prison drama with some twists and turns, quite visceral in places with solid performances. bet it gets re-made.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Caught two movies this weekend : one good and one bad. The good one was The Adventures of Tintin, the bad one the latest fanfic ninja version of The Three Musketeers. At least I got some eye candy out of it (Milla Jovovich prancing in and out of period dresses).

I'm planning now to track down the comic book version of Tintin - I think I saw some of them at the French Library.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuffalump View Post
    Yesterday I caught Fantastic Mr. Fox on tv. I admit I was prepared to hate it because I figured the American film industry would have ruined the original feel.

It's true that they couldn't resist filling a childhood favourite with American cultural references but I loved it anyway. Very funny and a bit quirky. Well worth a watch.

So.....apologies to the American film industry for my unkind thoughts.
    I've just had exactly the same experience. My only disappointment was that I couldn't moan about being disappointed!

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    I watched Moneyball last night. It was ok, but nothing special. I'm not much of a baseball fan these days, so I didn't really care too much about the sporting aspect, and I wish the movie had talked about the numbers more, which would have been more interesting.

Future suicide victim
    I saw this a few weeks ago and I thought it was great. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet.

Tucker and Dale vs Evil

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    I watched Moneyball last night. It was ok, but nothing special. I'm not much of a baseball fan these days, so I didn't really care too much about the sporting aspect, and I wish the movie had talked about the numbers more, which would have been more interesting.
    I just saw it tonight and I guess I see your point but if you do like baseball you should enjoy the film as I did. I forgotten about those marvelous Oakland teams of the early 2000's who played for a song but won their Division two years running. I never knew that Damon and Giambi got their start with Oakland! What reasonated with me however is how the GM for Oakland faced the choice of money and possible fame against long separation from his daughter resolved his moral dilemma. A nice modern parable there.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo (US) - I quite enjoyed it, it held up fairly well against the original and Mara was superb, slightly more vulnerable than Rapace. It didn't feel as tense or visceral but perhaps that's down to knowing what was going to happen.

Watched In Time last night. Pretty bad flick.

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    John Carter (of Mars) in 3D.

Much better than I expected, though not perfect. Still, deserving of your support. The photography was great, the battle scenes good, the Disney elements not too Disney: there's a lot of beheading going on, Woola is a big dog.

Cast generally very good (and mainly from the HBO series Rome!)

Think it is clearly a labour of love: closer to the books than I expected, though some changes. Dialogue still a little clunky (but clearly from the pulp origins of the books) and Dejah Thoris kicks ass.

Nevertheless, a fine effort, even if elements reminded me of the Star Wars saga (yes, I know, I know, they nicked it from the JC books first!)

Not for young children: but a worthy effort from the Hollywood machine.

Mark
    Mark

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Saw X-Men First Class a couple of nights ago on one of DirecTV's movie channels. It was better than I had expected, given some of the things said about it. I thought the performances for the characters Xavier and Magneto were very good, while not necessarily great. It was worthwhile and now wish that I had perhaps seen it in the theatre.

Off in an hour, or so, to go see John Carter (3D). I've no expectations as I've not read Burroughs and have always had some difficulty getting interested in reading sci-fi. Watching movies classified as sci-fi has never been a problem, probably because such films are pretty basic and the visual medium requires less involvement on the part of the audience (i.e. than the written medium does).