Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    Saw X-Men First Class a couple of nights ago on one of DirecTV's movie channels. It was better than I had expected, given some of the things said about it. I thought the performances for the characters Xavier and Magneto were very good, while not necessarily great. It was worthwhile and now wish that I had perhaps seen it in the theatre
    Did you find the showing of Jennifer Lawrence/Mystique's cleavage towards the end just a tad unnecessary? That really, really grated with me.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Did you find the showing of Jennifer Lawrence/Mystique's cleavage towards the end just a tad unnecessary? That really, really grated with me.
    At the island? When she leaves Xavier to follow Magneto? Yeah, it was.

Really disliked how that character ended up. Liked the entry of Mystique into the storyline of the movie and thought it set things up really well to explore the personal side of things. They then tried to with her and McCoy. I don't know why, but it just came off rather clumsy.

Also, for the current age of technology in movies, I thought the metamorphosed form of the Beast came off looking very sloppy and slipshod on the big screen. It seemed as though the makeup work for Beast was done by a group of 6-year olds. That and the clumsy attempt at inner conflict among Beast and Mystique had me mentally deleting that portion of the film altogether.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Beast was meant to look more like the version that appears in Grant Morrison's New X-Men run, I think, but it looked absolutely terrible because the guy just wasn't the right build to play Hank. He's supposed to be quite a big guy.

Mystique was completely wrong, in my opinion. Ms Lawrence did the best she could, but it was complete rubbish - the character is at least as old as Wolverine, and whilst I understand they have to tweak things for films, that was a really bizarre step.

Oh, and don't get me started on that woman who played Emma Frost...

Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Arn: Knight Templar.

Brilliant Crusades movie: why isn't this one better known?

Mark
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Arn: Knight Templar.

Brilliant Crusades movie: why isn't this one better known?
    Because it's a foreign multi-language movie from Central/Eastern Europe and is based on a book series?

That reminds me, need to look up whether we've got the sequel over here yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Did you find the showing of ... cleavage ... unnecessary?
    Does not compute.

Filthy Assistants! Moderator kater's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Troll Hunter - this was fun, enjoyed the mockumentary style and the straight faced performance of Hans who absolutely made it.

Watched Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol last night - very entertaining, well-directed movie (and the action was non-stop).

Probably the best of the Mission Impossible movies.

My writing partner has been out of commission, so haven't been writing and instead been replacing it with movies and shows.

We've watched Blindness, The Reader, The Whistleblower, Henry and June and are now watching Spider.

It occurs to me we both really like movies where there's a strong or interesting female character that is one of the top three billed actors. I wish it was easier to find movies according to my desires some days.

We also watched Red State but both of us disliked it.

So like I just said on Facebook I can tell you that Hunger Games was disappointing I just can't tell you how much. I can't tell precisely how much of my not great feeling about it is due to some of the disappointing decisions about the adaptation and how much is due to the incredibly terrible behavior of people at the theater.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    In the past week, I have DVRed and watched Green Lantern and Sucker Punch. For totally different reasons, they were each rather "m'eh," in my opinion.

To oversimply those reasons, Green Lantern was so for hardly trying, while Sucker Punch was so for trying entirely too hard.

Watched Bronson recently. A somewhat surreal trip into the mind of a serial solitary confinement prisoner.
    Tom Hardy is delightfully mad in it and something of a rising star at the moment.
    I saw him in Warrior which he gave a very brooding performance as a troubled ex-marine returning to the world of MMA/cage-fighting.
    Tom Hardy has single-handedly sparked my interest in the latest Batman offering. The previous two I wasn't impressed with (shock,horror!)

Also saw Immortals a very "meh" film that tried to cash in on the 300 style and setting. Not overly impressed and a lot of holes I could punch in it If I could be bothered.

Machine Gun Preacher I liked. A gritty "based on real events story" of a bad-boy turned good Sam Childers (played by Gerard Butler) on a one man mission to build and maintain a sanctuary for Sudanese children.

Way Too Human
    I watched "The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo" (English version) this past weekend. I really liked it. The whole series has been on my reading list, but I haven't got to it yet. I think I will move it up a few notches.

The movie really pulled me into the mystery. For some reason, and I don't know why, it reminded me of the books, "The Odessa File" and "The Day of the Jackal" that I read when I was a teen. I thought the acting was well done and that I really couldn't figure it out before the characters did. One of the things that I enjoyed about this movie is that the viewer is investigating the mystery also. It's not like the crime dramas currently on TV.

I also watched "Friends with Benefits". It was a good movie also. It had some funny situations, but really nothing I haven't seen in other movies. I didn't really have high expectations for it, which probably let me enjoy it. But then again, I'm becoming more sentimental as I age.

I really enjoyed Chloe with Amanda Seyfried and Julianne Moore. I thought the two main female charcacters were really subtle and interesting, and their charactarization was just excellent.

Finally watched Se7en and I'm just so glad they didn't /show/ the Lust murder. If it were made after 2005 I'm sure I'd have to have watched every last second of it.

Henry & June was alright. Nothing terribly special, and Henry's bald wig was very distracting.

Sophie Scholl was really interesting. A subtitled movie I'd been intending to watch since 2004 about the White Rose.

Saw the Hunger Games and was very impressed. It felt like I had just sat down, it was over and I was already wanting more. I have not enjoyed a movie more in a very long time - Avatar being the last time, where I could just lose myself in a movie and not be questioning things. I have the books lined up ready to read now!

I had a better in theater experience than Saint John. It was silent - everyone was mesmerized.