Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Saw Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close last night and found it much better than I expected. The kid playing the lead role was very good at portraying someone with Aspberger's (the worst name for a learning disorder ever conceived). My wife, who is a teacher to kids with learning disorders picked up on it right away. The ending was a bit sappy but I expected that going in and it could have been done much worse. Overall I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by DDCOrange View Post
    Saw Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close last night and found it much better than I expected. The kid playing the lead role was very good at portraying someone with Aspberger's (the worst name for a learning disorder ever conceived).
    Why? It's named after the paediatrician who first described the condition. I don't think it was 'conceived' (though he obviously was). My daughter has Asberger's and is proud to be different. She's an 'Aspie'. And it's a f*** of a lot easier to say than "high-functioning autism unaccompanied by mental retardation".

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Remember to smile when you say things like that, JunkMonkey!

I just saw Rango. What a cute movie! It cracked me up.

When I got to work and told all my workmates (all over 40 years of age) what a fun story it was. I started saying something about how cute it was when Bean, the other lizard-like creature and Rango's love interest, would freeze up, but then one of my workmates corrected me and said she was a cow.

A cow?! Did you all think she was a cow?

I checked, and apparently, she's a desert iguana. Anyway, a very cute movie.

The chicken-steads were awesome.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkMonkey View Post
    Why? It's named after the paediatrician who first described the condition. I don't think it was 'conceived' (though he obviously was). My daughter has Asberger's and is proud to be different. She's an 'Aspie'. And it's a f*** of a lot easier to say than "high-functioning autism unaccompanied by mental retardation".
    Slow down JunkMonkey, put the gun away. No disrespect intended to your daughter or the pediatrician the condition was named after (let alone the thousands of people who have it); it's just that everyone mispronounces it and it comes out as "Assburgers" which I personally find even more insulting. It's not like Autism or ADHD which at least is not twisted into some sick joke by certain cretins in the world.
    Just my warped perception, sorry if I've offended anyone. By the way JunkMonkey, you and your daughter should see the movie (if you haven't already), I think you might really like it.

I saw Cabin in the Woods yesterday and it was a really good spin on the Horror movie genre. I really enjoyed it.

Quote Originally Posted by DDCOrange View Post
    It's not like Autism or ADHD which at least is not twisted into some sick joke by certain cretins in the world.
    All I can say is you're lucky if you've avoided jokes about any condition.

Last Movie watched in 2012

I watched the last movie in 2012 was Titanic 3D.I watched this movie last weekend.The movie is so fantastic.I like the role of Jack and Rose in this movie so much.
    Last edited by PeterWilliam; April 17th, 2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: no signatures, especially if it has links

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    All I can say is you're lucky if you've avoided jokes about any condition.
    Point taken. I can elaborate but instead I think I'll go take the foot out of my mouth.

Captain America. It wasn't good, but it was surprisingly not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
    Captain America. It wasn't good, but it was surprisingly not bad.
    I thought Captian America was very well done. I really liked thier take on the origin story and how they changed up the character of Bucky. What about it did you not like?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    I thought Captian America was very well done. I really liked thier take on the origin story and how they changed up the character of Bucky. What about it did you not like?
    I've never read the comic so I'd probably have liked it more if I had. Ultimately it felt very predictable, and it had the typical superhero movie problem where the hero is so invincible that you know nothing bad is ever going to happen to him. They did try to work around that a little with threats to some of the other characters, but it felt tacked on to me.

From the trailer I'd expected it to be very bad, so I was pleasantly surprised; probably because the character seemed more human than many superhero movies.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Wet Hot American Summer - finally found it in a 5 Euro bin, after missing it in cinema. Good , silly fun, not quite in the Meatballs class, but I like Garofalo and I had the pleasant surprise to find familiar faces in smaller roles : Amy Poehler, Elizabeth Banks, Paul Rudd and especially the comic book owner from Big Bang Theory - demonstrating the use of a chicken as a laser gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward M. Grant View Post
    I've never read the comic so I'd probably have liked it more if I had. Ultimately it felt very predictable, and it had the typical superhero movie problem where the hero is so invincible that you know nothing bad is ever going to happen to him. They did try to work around that a little with threats to some of the other characters, but it felt tacked on to me.

From the trailer I'd expected it to be very bad, so I was pleasantly surprised; probably because the character seemed more human than many superhero movies.
    Captain America's problems stemmed largely from the fact that it was obviously just a lead up to The Avengers, but it also tried to add a lot of the history (e.g. Bucky) without actually explaining any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Captain America's problems stemmed largely from the fact that it was obviously just a lead up to The Avengers, but it also tried to add a lot of the history (e.g. Bucky) without actually explaining any of it.
    I just watched it again a couple of days ago so the movie is fresh in my mind. I am not a big comic reader but I love superhero movies. I am not sure what more you needed to know about Bucky. He was a good hearted loyal friend who stuck by Steve Rogers even after their roles were reversed.

CA was is one of my favorite Super hero movies. I guess we'll just have to disagree.

You didn't need to know more about Bucky, but there was the rest of the gang.

What they tried to do was shoehorn in a lot of the Captain America history within a short period of time, and for me it didn't work. If they'd left it at Cappy A vs HYDRA, it would have worked better (and been a little bit shorter). Obviously, the preferable thing would have been for them to expand on the other people, but they clearly didn't have time in the final cut, so leaving that train scene as just Cappy A and Bucky would have worked better (IMHO).