Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Reading in February 2012

This is where you talk to us about your monthly Fantasy and Horror Reads: whether good or bad, we want to discuss with you what you thought.

Our Fantasy Book of the Month is Well of Sorrows by Benjamin Tate. Discuss here.

Our SF Book of the Month is The Recollection by Gareth Powell. Discuss here.

Mark
    Mark

I'm still working my way through Dragonfly Falling by Adrian Tchaikovsky and enjoying it.

Not sure what'll be up in fantasy for me after that. Too much to choose from at this point.

I have been reading The Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks the last few days. It was chosen as the book of the month in my reading discussion group. I have a few friends that raved about it quite a bit, but their tastes are not always in line with my own. Honestly, I was not looking forward to it much.

So far, it has exceeded my low expectations. I could go into pros/cons, but bottom line, I am enjoying it as a good fun read, not unlike my recent read of the first Dresden Files book.

I hope to enjoy the remaining two books in the series as much.

Started Gaiman's Neverwhere a couple days ago. About halfway through and finding it a very good read, although not what I'm use to.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    I'm working my way through Black Lung Captain...though it doesn't really feel like work, its too damn fun.

Rogue Warrior
    I've just started Redick's River of Shadows....going good here.
    Last edited by Kazz Wylde; January 31st, 2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Sp.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    I'm working my way through Black Lung Captain...though it doesn't really feel like work, its too damn fun.
    Finished this about 2 a.m. - couldn't get to sleep before the final page. Great fun, and the best part is, there's still one more book in the series already published. Now I'm playing casting games in my mind for a possible TV series of Ketty Jay adventures

I finished yesterday Flashback by Dan Simmons
    Grim, realistic and mature.
    A somewhat depressing book. More often than not it doesn't feel like Sci-Fi at all. Is our world going to be like that within the next 20 years? Who knows? We will see.
    A very good book.

The next one is a return from reality to fantasy.
    The Malazan Book of the Fallen awaits me.
    I am going to start today book 5, Midnight Tides.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    Finished Erak's Ransom on the 31st and moving on into book 8 of Flanagan's Ranger's Apprentice series - The Kings of Clonmel.

I like to rock the party Corporal Blues's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    Finished this about 2 a.m. - couldn't get to sleep before the final page. Great fun, and the best part is, there's still one more book in the series already published. Now I'm playing casting games in my mind for a possible TV series of Ketty Jay adventures
    Yes, that is a happy thought in my head too. Any idea how many Ketty Jay books he has planned?

I was thinking the same thing, that these books would convert easily to either big screen or television. Whether that happens or not, I still love these books. They have an amazing sense of adventure about them.

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Starting TC McCarthy's Germline!

Finished At the Gates by Tim Marquitz (book 3 in the Demon Squad series) and this series just gets better and better. Tim takes the story to a huge, epic war in heaven.

Jumped into another demons, hell, heaven story in The Damned Busters. Great start, I'm really enjoying it so far. A guy accidentally summons a demon and the demon doesn't know what to do when he won't sign the contract and then hell goes on strike. I loved Hughes' story in Songs of the Dying Earth, this guy knows how to write.

Quote Originally Posted by Seak View Post
    [...]
    Jumped into another demons, hell, heaven story in The Damned Busters. Great start, I'm really enjoying it so far. A guy accidentally summons a demon and the demon doesn't know what to do when he won't sign the contract and then hell goes on strike. I loved Hughes' story in Songs of the Dying Earth, this guy knows how to write.
    I've seen that and nearly picked it up.

I read Hughes' The Gist Hunters and Other Stories (approx. title) a few years back and had a really good time. I particularly enjoyed his Henghis Hapthorn stories, though I haven't gotten to the novels that include and expand on them.

Randy M.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy M. View Post
    I've seen that and nearly picked it up.

I read Hughes' The Gist Hunters and Other Stories (approx. title) a few years back and had a really good time. I particularly enjoyed his Henghis Hapthorn stories, though I haven't gotten to the novels that include and expand on them.

Randy M.
    I'll let you know. I hear it loses some steam after the great start, which I'm still enjoying. I'll have to look up The Gist, though. I'm quickly becoming a big fan of his.

Quote Originally Posted by Corporal Blues View Post
    Yes, that is a happy thought in my head too. Any idea how many Ketty Jay books he has planned?
    I seem to recall that Wooding is planning for four, but don't quote me on that.