Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    it could be worse Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Spring WiPer Snappers - Feb/Mar 2012

Okay, it is not quite spring, I know, but here is California, at the moment, it feels like it.

Hello SFFWorld Writers!

Have you ever started a project and couldn't finish it? Do you promise yourself time and time again that you'll finish that flash, short story or novel this month? But then don't?

Well, come right on in! We are just the thing you are looking for! State your goal for the month of February 2012 (March comes later, naturally), and we'll help you keep track of your progress with nifty graphs (oh yeah, the graphs, I'll get to those in a moment...).

I'll even poke and prod you along the way to snap you into focus.

May the games begin...

Last edited by N. E. White; February 1st, 2012 at 01:26 PM.

Locked in the Golden Cage HellsGuardian's Avatar
    10k words for me.

Blog Entries
    I'm giving myself 20,000 words to complete this month. That'll be spread around in at least one short story and a new novel I'm working on.

It's a little lonely up on that graph with only Hells and I...

Blog Entries
    10k for me as well. This is for book 6. I've only just started writing it. It's called 'Subversion' and I'm trying something new. The time line runs along the same as books 2-7 (haven't started 7 yet) but it's from one of the bad guy's point of views. Will be interesting to see how I go being bad, dispicable and down right evil. Should be fun.

I also aim to start getting book 4 ready for Critters as book 3 is almost done and is due out in Dec

10k for me.

I have a question for you guys. Do you guys write on the computer or with pen and paper? I write with pen and paper, and I was thinking of switching to writing on the computer. I like the portability aspect of pen and paper so I'm thinking about a laptop rather than a desktop if I do switch over but I don't want to spend money on a laptop when I'm not sure if it's a good fit or not. Ok, just wanting opinions on everyone's writing preferences.

caught in the whirlwind of my imagination
    Um, I want to finish a certain amount of chapters. I know, I know! Totally not sticking with the 10k theme that's going on here, lol.

1. Review/Edit the remaining 7 chapters of Bk 1
    2. Review/Edit/Expand/Write the first 3 chapters of Bk 2

@wwfward--Somewhere, I can't remember if it was our last thread or if it was a completely different one but it was very recent in the last week or so, somebody discussed how writing with pen and paper makes you consider your words more carefully. That it makes you take more care with the story.

That said, I enjoy writing with pen and paper on occasion. But I'd say I do 90% or more of my writing on the computer. I would recommend, wwfward that if you only have a desktop, that you try writing on it for a while and see how you like the computer. If you enjoy it, then I suggest getting a Netbook. I use a Netbook and it has 4GB harddrive but only 1 GB of memory. It's a 10" so its really small and portable. They're designed for businessmen/women and the such who are constantly on the go, who need to check their email and do some word processing and other office programs while traveling. It doesn't even have a CD drive The Internet is slow and I have to be patient when opening programs. But it fits in my messenger bag and can easily go anywhere with me. And it does. It's a Toshiba PC (of course, Toshiba not Mac) and has a battery as long as any full sized PC laptop. It just doesn't do so great with the Internet or streaming videos. While it can do online music (YouTube, Pandora, whathaveyou), if that's an important part of your process like it is mine, then it works but you do have to be patient with it. Umm, that's a lot. Sorry.

I like my NetBook! It works for what I need it to do. And it only cost me $300 when I bought it a year ago, as opposed to the $400 for the cheapest full sized, video card/graphics engine, "portable desktop" laptops. Personally, when I bought the NetBook, I also bought a $1,500 Mac desktop to be my fun computer. Upgraded my tech life for less than $2,100 (after throwing in MS Office and a anti-virus for the NetBook). It was a great decision I made!

But, again, that's not what you were asking. Try the desktop first, see if you like it. Then think about portability.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, you totally messed it up. Now I'll have to figure out how to add that to the word count graph or maybe start one just for you?

I used to write with pen/paper, but now I just write directly on the computer. Frankly, it is faster. Not sure if the quality of my writing has degraded or not. It's all pretty much about the same crappiness as far as I can tell, so typing works better for me because it is faster.

Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    Yeah, you totally messed it up. Now I'll have to figure out how to add that to the word count graph or maybe start one just for you?
    Oh my gosh! How did you know? That's just what I've always wanted!!!!!

If it makes it easier, I could say that each chapter corresponds to 1k words? In which case I'd be going for a total of 10K. And I already have 1K done.

10k for me too! I bailed on last month (I know, I'm sorry!), but this time I AM SERIOUS.

Blog Entries
    Excellent idea, RedMage. I have added you to the graph, as well as you, Robotosaur. And don't worry, with that scowl on your avatar, we know YOU ARE SERIOUS.

I only managed 350 words yesterday, but I plan to get in four times that much today. I'll try. Good luck, all!

Alright I found the thread. This month I will try for a more acceptable reasonable goal. 20,000 words for me...

My vote is writing dominates every time. I believe the computer to be fast and effective, but writing just allows for thinking, now I'm not saying that computers are useless I'm saying they are better used for the 3rd or 4th draft.WWfward my suggestion is to keep up the writing on paper, unless you feel that the book has advanced enough to type.

Also are we still using the google docs from last time, or are we doing something else?

Blog Entries
    Oh, I'll put a link over in the old one. Forgot about that. Sorry.

Same username and login, different document. It's formatted the same, but just labeled Feb 2012 instead of Jan (or whatever it was).

Lol tmso! I just read your comment in the old thread:

Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    Hey All! We are over here now. Don't know why we keep starting new threads...
    I would have thought, as a mod now, if you wanted to, that you could make this all a sticky for us. How about it? Huh? Huh?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMage View Post
    I would have thought, as a mod now, if you wanted to, that you could make this all a sticky for us. How about it? Huh? Huh?
    Well...since you asked so nicely...and have been obviously buttering me up lately...okay! It will be stickyed!

Right, I'm in (properly) this time. Got new motivation and a strict routine to ensure I write something every day. 25,000 words it is