Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Well I figured out my sentence, and it works perfectly so thanks for the offer Red but there is no need, I plan to update the graph as soon as possible, and continue writing.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkShad3-0w View Post
    Well I figured out my sentence, and it works perfectly so thanks for the offer Red but there is no need, I plan to update the graph as soon as possible, and continue writing.
    That's great, DarkShad3-0w. It is always nice to get past a barrier or slump.

Here's the graph for your viewing pleasure:

I'm in a bit of a funk. I submitted a (sure-to-be-rejected) story to the Fantasy Faction contest, and now I just don't have the gumption to write another one or work on either of the other two projects I got going on. Because I felt I worked really hard on that one and it still came out crappy, I can't seem to motivate myself to write another crappy story.

It's a personal psychosis thing, I know.

I'll get through it. I always seem to.

That reminds me, I need to revamp a fight scene into something remotely plausible...(don't ask why or what reminded me...)

Anyway - keep writing!

Just hit 7012 words. Bit surprised with my own self-discipline to be honest. This weekend, I'll be spending most of it writing madly away. Hopefully I can reach 10k words by Sunday

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    That's great, DarkShad3-0w. It is always nice to get past a barrier or slump.

Here's the graph for your viewing pleasure:

I'm in a bit of a funk. I submitted a (sure-to-be-rejected) story to the Fantasy Faction contest, and now I just don't have the gumption to write another one or work on either of the other two projects I got going on. Because I felt I worked really hard on that one and it still came out crappy, I can't seem to motivate myself to write another crappy story.

It's a personal psychosis thing, I know.

I'll get through it. I always seem to.

That reminds me, I need to revamp a fight scene into something remotely plausible...(don't ask why or what reminded me...)

Anyway - keep writing!

I sure do hope you get you out of your funk soon Piers Anthony's first Xanth novel got rejected around eight times. During this series of rejections, one of these agent\/editor types told him that Xanth was absolutely one of the worse things he had ever read, and that it would never be published. Flash forward to today? The Chronicles of Xanth could be argued as the series that Anthony is known for the most. Interesting on how these things happen, huh? If that doesn't help, hug your doggie Makes me feel better.

On another note concerning interesting things (and dogs), I was actually doing a spot of homework. Upon searching Google Images with the the word "door," I ODDLY enough came across a cute picture of a pup looking out a doorway, and the Google description seemed strangely familiar. Clicked on it, read the blog; somebody's poor dog keeps sighting a coyote ambling across their backyard. It was on a word press site, and the user who posted it was named (you guessed it) TMSO. So I'm a little amused right now. Small web afterall.

(P.S. TMSO, you're PM's are set to "off.")

caught in the whirlwind of my imagination
    So, tmso, what's your dogs name? Still having coyote trouble?

Got about 5 chapters reviewed in total at the moment. Now just 3 more to go before the end of this book. I still don't know what to do with the last one. The format is just so different: all my other chapters have, at the most, only 6 subsections. The final chapter has, at the moment, 7. But, if I were to actually give every POV its own subsection and not just a a couple of blank spaces, then it would be 11 total subsections. It doesn't feel right having 11 when the next longest (subsections-wise) is only 6.

There's also a bit of content change for my antagonist's POVs because I decided to split the book into two after this chapter and allowed myself to expand some thoughts and ideas in both books. So now some of the events of the antag's storyline happen after this chapter when, before, they occurred prior to it. Somehow I have to take that stuff out and yet have the antag make the same decisions and come to the same resolution.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by virangelus View Post
    (P.S. TMSO, you're PM's are set to "off.")
    I know! I don't know why. My settings says it is on. I've tried messing with it and nothing works. If you all need to reach me just email me. (nilaewhite (at) gmail (dot) com).

My dog, Alby, is the most popular thing on my blog. I am not surprised you came across that photo in a random search. Whenever I post a picture of him, my blog site visits skyrocket. Damn dog is more popular than me. He demanded his own blog. I obliged (you can find it by clicking through to my blog, then click on his picture on the side bar).

Past the funk! I'll be updating my word count, I'd say somewhere around 2400 words can be added. I don't think I'll reach my goal this month, but I am chugging along.

@ Cirias - excellent work! I know you'll make your goal!
    @ RedMage - woohoo! The end is in sight. Can't wait to read it.
    @ Vir - research? shouldn't you be writing?
    @ Everyone else - pigeon for your thoughts? (swiped from Sixty One Nails by Mike Shevdon - excellent read)

wrote on the wrong WIP for almost 4 hours yesterday, though what I wrote works perfectly into the story so I will add that to my word count even though it was the wrong one.

Funny thing is I knew what novel I was typing on, but it didn't get through to me that I wasn't typing on the right one.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShad3-0w View Post
    wrote on the wrong WIP for almost 4 hours yesterday, though what I wrote works perfectly into the story so I will add that to my word count even though it was the wrong one.

Funny thing is I knew what novel I was typing on, but it didn't get through to me that I wasn't typing on the right one.
    LOL! That's awesome! At least you were adding the right stuff to the right story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    @ Vir - research? shouldn't you be writing?
    Homework takes priority I'm afraid
    Full time student + 30 Hours a week at work + only the weekends to do said homework= GAAAAHAHHHH!!!!!

After being forced to take an unplanned break from writing, due to my gall bladder removal in December, I seem to have fallen into something of a writing slump. Despite attempting to return to writing during the last week of January, something just felt... off about my WIP, and even though I did write 1,000 words then, I found myself struggling even more than I usually do.

I've been doing quite a lot of soul searching and seriously thinking about my WIP since then, and I've had to face some harsh truths. Part two of my WIP is just not working.

In a way, I'm both pleased and utterly gutted by the realization. I've always felt that something was "off" with my part two; that there was a reason why I found it so hard to write. Now, I think I've finally managed to identify those problems: there's both a serious lack of plot and a major lack of character motivation/goals. Oops!

Although I hoped at first that I could fix this problem in part two, after much trial and error, I've been forced to face a second realization: there is a major flaw in part one which needs to be addressed and fixed. Ouch! Now it looks like part one is due some major re-editing, and most of part two may well end up having to be scrapped completely. Double ouch! (Part one is about 19,500 words. Even worse, part two is about 31,000 words.)

The problem with part one is that, at the end of it, I gave my character a goal which doesn't make any sense for him to have. It is completely out of character. That's why I've had such problems with part two: I've had my character enter into a situation that he absolutely would not have chosen to be in.

Trying to be positive, I can use a lot of the ideas of part two in the future. Although much of the actual writing is going to have to go. There will come a point when my character faces the situation he was in in part two, but it won't be for much longer yet - and he will be facing it under different circumstances/with different/clearer motivations and goals.

Unfortunately, so far, I'm really struggling to get a grip on just how I'm going to go about tackling fixing part one. It's been years since I've worked on part one, and for me, it's almost come to be considered untouchable and sacred because it's the one aspect of my WIP that I've been consistently pleased with. Whenever part two was difficult to write, I always remembered how much fun I had writing part one, and told myself "this is just a lull, once you get past it, this WIP will again be as fun as part one was". Now I have the crippling fear that by returning to part one, I could shatter that belief by destroying something which I thought was once good.

Yesterday, I printed and read over the entire part one text from start to finish, so that I could try to get an overal feeling for the story and its structure. Today, I read chapter one, and tried to work on adding in small changes (foreshadowing, mostly) that need to be implemented in order to tidy things up. Unfortunately, not a single edit made it past my internal censor. I'm too afraid of changing what's there already, even though I know the changes need to be made to make it better...

Anyways, so I thought I would post and let everyone know where I'm at with my WIP at the moment. Unfortunately, since I'm working on editing, it's going to be difficult for me to set a goal. Keeping track of a word count that's going to end up being so spread out over 50+ pages of text will be difficult.

Blog Entries
    Don't stress, BrightStar. Work out your plot problems and it will flow again.

Good luck with your edits. I know how hard they can be.

Just keep us posted so we know how it all falls out. And thanks for checking in! I was wondering where you went.

Thanks, tmso. I think I've decided to back off from part one for the time being and just go for writing my new version of part two instead. I think I have enough planned out so that even though I haven't actually managed to change anything in part one, I can still take account of those changes and include them in part two.

Chapter one of part two will no doubt be very clunky, and I expect to have to change it when I finally go back and edit the whole story proper (when my WIP is finally finished) but I think if I can get past that initial hurdle of the first chapter, I might be all right.

This approach feels a little like trying to "start in the middle", which can be a good thing or a bad thing. If I can just get over the fact that not everything I write is going to "fit" the changes that will come later, then writing in the middle might actually give me the freedom to just relax and enjoy writing the story.

We shall see.

Just keep us posted so we know how it all falls out. And thanks for checking in! I was wondering where you went.
    I have RedMage to thank for that. (Thanks again for the PM, RedMage. It was definitely very motivating to feel like my absence had been noticed.)

Look, my word count bar increased! First time I've done that since a couple of months ago. Sad but awesome at the same time!

Well, I made better progress than I expected to today with my attempted rewrite of part two. 891 words written. Yay!

I'm doing this rewrite a bit differently to how I approached the original version of part two. Right now, I'm basically concentrating on dialogue - the prose is clunky and awkward, but it doesn't need to be anything particularly "special" in order for the scene to work on a basic level. I am, of course, intending to add more thorough prose to the scene later. But writing in this manner, for now, seems to have been the best course of action for me. At least I got something written.

@wwfward---CONGRATS!!!! That's wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by BrightStar View Post
    I have RedMage to thank for that. (Thanks again for the PM, RedMage. It was definitely very motivating to feel like my absence had been noticed.)
    What are friends for? lol. Good to see you back with us again!