Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Think I was a little ambitious with my 10,000 word target by last Sunday, but I'm still on track to reach the 25k word goal overall Now up to just over 8000. I can't even explain how helpful this thread and that graph have been to motivate me to write

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirias View Post
    Think I was a little ambitious with my 10,000 word target by last Sunday, but I'm still on track to reach the 25k word goal overall Now up to just over 8000. I can't even explain how helpful this thread and that graph have been to motivate me to write
    It's been a great bolster to me as well. My Mastermind Left Brain just gets a complete kick out of seeing how close I am to reaching the said goal.

I am actually a little ahead on my goal, now. I am at 5505 words, or 61.25% through my monthly goal. I've also put together a "waypoint" chart, of sorts. I do not feel comfortable sentencing myself to certain chapters, or necessarily outlining. However, I do see certain points in the novel very vividly so I somewhat slapped these waypoints together in the order that I "felt" they would occur at. According this waypoint chart I have so far, I'm about 12% through the novel's storyline at the moment that that has also been a great encouragement to me.

I'll continue the cause tomorrow.

I've decided to set myself the goal of writing 2,500 words this month. So far, I've written 1638.

It seems to be that having decided to take my story in a whole new direction, the words are just flying from my fingers. This is how I've always felt that writing my story should feel like. Not the slow, awkward progress that I was struggling through previously. For the moment, I'm still a little skeptical about my success - (will it last?) - but I'm at least trying to make the most of it while I can.

Since I am making good progress, I may change my current word count goal if I hit 2,500 early. But, I don't want to take on more than I feel I can handle, so right now, think it best that I keep to a modest goal, rather than try to push myself too hard. The words are flowing so well at the moment that I don't actually need to set myself a word count goal. The word count goal is currently just there to make sure to motivate me to actually make a start on writing each day. Once I do get in front of the computer, I don't need a daily goal to keep me there.

What a wonderful difference these past few days have been. I'm so used to forcing myself in front of the computer, then counting down to a daily word count total so that I can quit for the day. Today, I didn't want to stop writing! 2 hours just flew by. I would have written more, except I need some time to think on what needs to happen next in my story.
    Last edited by BrightStar; February 15th, 2012 at 08:48 PM.

caught in the whirlwind of my imagination
    Congrats BrightStar, that is an amazing feeling! I love those days. Enjoy them!

I have another chapter done tonight in my edit. I'm hoping tomorrow will bring yet another chapter.

I have Friday and Monday off on vacation days, so my word count will, hopefully, double. Well at least double.

Combined with all the writing I wrote on the wrong one and the one with right i have now a combined word count of 5 thousand 8 hundred.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hey all,

I have been writing. Maybe another 1500 words or so? I haven't been real good about keeping track of it, but progress has been made.

As DarkShad3-0w indicated, I plan on making the most of the holiday weekend and get in tons of writing!

Write on, everyone.

I have been totally curtailed in my writing goals. I had my monthly critiquing group yesterday and it was pointed out to me how my book has nothing tangible to point to at the end in regards to achievements for my protagonist. All he does is get himself into a position to do things in the following book and its sequels. So that was pointed out to me and is a huge bummer.

It's not like I didn't know it though. It has pretty much been my main concern from the very beginning. It takes 1 and 1/2 books to get to any semblance of overall plot for the series.

I did get some helpful ideas for how to enliven the first book and to encourage my future readers to come back for more. However, it does mean that I have to rewrite about 50% of the protag's storyline for book 1. The good thing is that I have already outlined the introductory scene for the new storyline and even begun a first draft of it. It makes a lot of sense to do this. It's just a lot of hardwork that I don't really want to do at the moment.

So, yeah, my goals for the month are pretty much meaningless now. I'm not sure what new goals might be at the moment though. But I'll let you all know when I do come up with some.
    Last edited by RedMage; February 19th, 2012 at 08:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Ah, RedMage, my virtual brother, I just went through that.

It hurt. I cried and cried, and wanted to kick the dog (I didn't).

But I'm at the re-build stage and I know it is going to be BETTER.

Yours too. It will be better.

Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    Ah, RedMage, my virtual brother, I just went through that.

It hurt. I cried and cried, and wanted to kick the dog (I didn't).

But I'm at the re-build stage and I know it is going to be BETTER.

Yours too. It will be better.
    Thanks tmso. It's not quite as horrible as it seems. I mean, it has been the largest problem with the book and it has been with me from the start (3 years). One of the ideas my group and I came up with would have been much quicker, just a single added scene (maybe slightly more) where I could have had my protag do something big and horrible and against his nature at the very end of the book. But it's not feasible to do that at that time. Something like that is much better suited (and already planned) for the opening of the second book. Which I could, of course, move up but, then, the second book would open very slowly and not with the BANG! that's already in place.

So this is better. I'm just not sure about all that it entails just yet.

I seem to have hit a real wall with my WIP lately, so writing progress has been really slow. So far this month, I've written 3014 words. Unfortunately, much of the last 1000 or so have ended up being deleted. I just can't seem to get the opening of this next chapter right.

I have been totally curtailed in my writing goals. I had my monthly critiquing group yesterday and it was pointed out to me how my book has nothing tangible to point to at the end in regards to achievements for my protagonist. All he does is get himself into a position to do things in the following book and its sequels. So that was pointed out to me and is a huge bummer.
    Ouch. I can definitely sympathize there. I recently came to the realization that my own WIP was suffering a serious lack of character motivation and/or goals. Plus, there really was barely any plot to speak of. My character just gets told a lot of information, and pretty much wanders from event to event without any real direction or purpose. Not good! No wonder I was bored writing it.

It really stings when you realize something like that though. I just try to remind myself that the story will be better in the end because of the changes that are made to it.

It was really hard to see the good side of things this weekend. However, I did begin an intro scene for this new storyline yesterday. It didn't come out so great the first time around. But, backtracking a little today while on my breaks at work, I was able to get a good scene going. When I got home I was able to sit down and finish it. In the end I have 2K words and 6 pages of a new storyline that will continue through this book and, I can now see, will lead into at least 2 other large aspects of the overall story. It has also provided me with a launching pad for some history on one of my central, non POV characters. I've been wanting to bring his backstory into the light so that moment was quite exciting! (It didn't come out right, but I have a framework to build it on at least)

So, yeah, I can see the good now. There are many benefits of this new storyline. Including ones that I can see and am already giving further thought to than those i mentioned above.

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Blog Entries
    I am being the worst host...

Besides RedMage and BrightStar - WHERE IS EVERYONE?!

I'm still here! Uh, I'm back down to 2000 words . But I think I got it now and maybe my word count will go up consistently (crosses fingers).

2500 words

Hello, I'm done with 2500 words of my wip...

Blog Entries
    Vacation... I wonder what that means? Is it fun? Can you eat it?

Anyways, my University swallowed my soul, in particular my Previsualization class has completely slapped me over a barrel and is OWNING me right now. Last night I just finally gave up the ghost and SLEPT. I had to at some point, right? I think I'll take up eating again too.

For those that don't know, I have to work 30 hours a week, attend school full time, and still maintain the household. The fiance helps of course, by picking up the place. I just wish he wasn't so anaphylactic to doing dishes.

I'm behind on my goals at the moment. A little break is good right? But now I have to write 500 words a day to finish. I think it's doable, provided my one professor stops hammering me. I strongly suspect that some professors believe students ONLY have school as a responsibility.