Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries

David Gemmell Awards 2012 (for 2011 works)

http://gemmellaward.com/

Open for voting in best fantasy novel 2011, best fantasy cover 2011 & best fantasy debut 2011

Requires only a click or two, no registration needed.

This is the only award I talk about & that's because I think it's a great way to remember David Gemmell and introduce new readers to his work. I would love for it to continue to grow and be a success.

I went and voted, though I won't say that I didn't vote for a certain prickly titled book for debut.

Changed the title of the thread to be more specific to this year's award, since we've had similar DGA discussions in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    I went and voted, though I won't say that I didn't vote for a certain prickly titled book for debut.

Changed the title of the thread to be more specific to this year's award, since we've had similar DGA discussions in the past.
    I went with Heroes for novel, PoT for debut, and Echo City for cover art.

I think I went for Sprunk for novel, Orullian for debut (I only read one and it wasn't getting my vote) and that Swanland cover (the Warhammer one) for cover.

I *almost* went for the Echo City cover, but the Swanland cover for Blood of Aenarion says HEROIC FANTASY (a la Gemmell) more.

My vote for novel went to Abraham's The Dragon's Path

Read interesting books
    I voted Dance with Dragons for Legend and the Iron jackal cover (S. Martiniere) for Ravenheart; nothing really that exciting in the debut category for me, but as i sort of enjoyed at least in parts (though with quite a few caveats) Whitefire Crossing, I voted for it, though last year's fantasy debuts were from meh to worse as the only clear genre fantasy "debut" I really liked turned out to be written under a pseudonym by a favorite 90's author of mine, so of course no surprise I liked it after all (Traitor's daughter by Paula Volsky as Paula Brandon)

Quote Originally Posted by suciul View Post
    I voted Dance with Dragons for Legend and the Iron jackal cover (S. Martiniere) for Ravenheart; nothing really that exciting in the debut category for me, but as i sort of enjoyed at least in parts (though with quite a few caveats) Whitefire Crossing, I voted for it, though last year's fantasy debuts were from meh to worse as the only clear genre fantasy "debut" I really liked turned out to be written under a pseudonym by a favorite 90's author of mine, so of course no surprise I liked it after all (Traitor's daughter by Paula Volsky as Paula Brandon)
    I'm about to start the sequel. Looking forward to it.

Best Novel - The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss
    Best Debut - Prince of Thorns - Mark funkdoctor Lawrence
    Best Cover Art - The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    best novel - Heirs to the Blade (Tchaikovsky) - voted for it a week ago, when I saw his blog entry. Tough choice this year with a lot of strong contenders.

cover art - Iron Jackal

debut - Whitefire Crossing

I voted The Crippled God as best novel and The Heroes for best cover (those Abercrombie-covers might be some of the most fantastic book covers ever). Havenīt read any of the debuts unfortunately so I wonīt ruin the vote there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by imaster View Post
    Havenīt read any of the debuts unfortunately so I wonīt ruin the vote there.
    Good call! Best to vote for something you've read, or not at all

There's still time though!

The list is:
    CARSON, Rae Fire and Thorns
    COOPER, Elspeth Songs of the Earth
    LAWRENCE, Mark Prince of Thorns
    BEAULIEU, Bradley P The Winds of Khalakovo
    SCHAFER, Courtney The Whitefire Crossing
    WILLIAMS, Mazarkis The Emperor's Knife
    LOWE, Helen The Heir of Night
    HULICK, Douglas Among Thieves
    ORULLIAN, Peter The Unremembered

I've read
    HULICK, Douglas Among Thieves
    WILLIAMS, Mazarkis The Emperor's Knife

both well worth a read.

Heard a lot good things about:
    The Whitefire Crossing
    The Winds of Khalakovo

Certainly seen some good reviews of:
    Songs of The Earth
    The Unremembered

And am surprised that
    FROHOCK, Theresa Miserere
    isn't on the list.

The remainder I know nothing of.

I think it's interesting (or cool) that three of the debuts are from Night Shade Books and three of the debut authors use the same agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    Good call! Best to vote for something you've read, or not at all

There's still time though!
    I agree. I've not read any of the shortlisted debuts. Looks like I've got some reading to do by 31 March (sorry, Mark and Mazarkis.)

I've read enough in the novel category to vote, but it's a tough call for me between A Dance with Dragons, The Heroes, The Dragon's Path and The Wise Man's Fear (which I'm currently reading).

Don't be sorry! Good grief, you can't read everything

I've read only ADWD and WMF from your list. My guess is the other two are very good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke_B View Post
    I agree. I've not read any of the shortlisted debuts. Looks like I've got some reading to do by 31 March (sorry, Mark and Mazarkis.)

I've read enough in the novel category to vote, but it's a tough call for me between A Dance with Dragons, The Heroes, The Dragon's Path and The Wise Man's Fear (which I'm currently reading).
    Heh - no problem It's really quite instructive though (for authors with regard to early excitement/expressions of interest) as you were poster #4 on the 200+ Prince of Thorns thread, saying how excited you were to read it after Werthead's review! Real life takes us all down like a pro-football tackler. Kinda puts the 6,000 adds on Goodreads into context

I'm going ADWD in the Legend Award, not read too many others this year.