Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Pub View Post
    Just started reading the 3rd book i will agree the rain wild chronicles hasnt been as good as her other books i still enjoyed them
    Hobb has always been a slow starter. I've always enjoyed it... until now. How the Rain Wilds turned into four books--each slow starting--is beyond me.

I finished book 3 this weekend. The final third of the book picked up a bit, but there's just too little plot movement throughout the series to match her earlier works.

Omnibus Prime Moderator PeterWilliam's Avatar
    In my attempts to get my wife to read fantasy fiction, I have only marginally succeeded. She has read Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Patrick Rothfuss and Robin Hobb. She recently finished the third book of the Rain Wild series. Knowing that she has nothing to do with sci-fi & fantasy fiction boards anywhere, and wouldn't know what the prevailing opinions were, even if it would save her life, I asked her, "Which Elderlings series is the best?" Her reply was the Rain Wild series.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWilliam View Post
    In my attempts to get my wife to read fantasy fiction, I have only marginally succeeded. She has read Carlos Ruiz Zafon, Patrick Rothfuss and Robin Hobb. She recently finished the third book of the Rain Wild series. Knowing that she has nothing to do with sci-fi & fantasy fiction boards anywhere, and wouldn't know what the prevailing opinions were, even if it would save her life, I asked her, "Which Elderlings series is the best?" Her reply was the Rain Wild series.
    She's read the previous nine as well? That's interesting. I don't want to post spoilers, but after three books, it's been mostly character development and very little else.

I'm glad she's enjoying Hobb.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyloot View Post
    She's read the previous nine as well?
    Yeah, all 12 - consecutively no less.

Yeah, all 12 - consecutively no less.
    I'd be curious to know what she likes about them. The series is very strong on developing and exploring relationships between two (or more) characters. It's clearly a theme Hobb wanted to explore with Rain Wilds.

If you have the chance, I'd love to hear why these books are her favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyloot View Post
    If you have the chance, I'd love to hear why these books are her favorite.
    No problem. I just finished getting her answer. She thought the Rain Wild books flowed just a bit better, with good pacing. She found the drama within just a bit better also. The theme was, in her words, somewhat similar to FitzChivalry, but more poignantly about outcasts making their own way in life. All of this kept my wife up past the time she should be sleeping for work the next morning. This may seem like something that has happened to all of us book readers, but this has never happened to my wife. She is promptly abed at 9pm, as she is an executive chef and leaves the house at 4:30am to be at the kitchen at 5am. She already has a count down for the release of the next book (US = July, hardcover).

No problem. I just finished getting her answer. She thought the Rain Wild books flowed just a bit better, with good pacing. She found the drama within just a bit better also. The theme was, in her words, somewhat similar to FitzChivalry, but more poignantly about outcasts making their own way in life. All of this kept my wife up past the time she should be sleeping for work the next morning. This may seem like something that has happened to all of us book readers, but this has never happened to my wife. She is promptly abed at 9pm, as she is an executive chef and leaves the house at 4:30am to be at the kitchen at 5am. She already has a count down for the release of the next book (US = July, hardcover).
    Hah! To be honest, Hobb is one of only a few authors who has kept me up hours past bedtime. I'm happy to hear she's enjoying it so much.

Thanks for sharing. Hobb is one of my favorites (I actually enjoyed many elements of Soldier Son), but I admit I've struggled with Rain Wilds. As someone has said, not much happens in getting from point A to point B, although much happens in the lives of the characters.

I think that's probably why I enjoyed the Fitz and Liveship series more. You get the character depth, but the characters are always going somewhere or doing something. Rain Wilds is far more predictable. The reader learns where the characters are going... and then the characters go there.

Rain Wilds does treat the reader to a more intense experience in character development and relationships. That part, I like. I suppose I've allowed the point A to point B pacing to somewhat sour my opinion of the story.

I'll admit I'm anxious for the end result and that may be clouding my opinion of the overall work.