Administrator Administrator Hobbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

SFFWorld Review of 2011, Part One: Fantasy & Horror

Well, it's done.

The first section will be Fantasy/Horror Books, Part 2 will be SF, the third will be Film & TV.

Here you can discuss Fantasy/Horror Books.

As is traditional, we'd like to give you chance to discuss your own personal favourites (though remember there is THIS THREAD for voting on) but usually this thread is a chance to tell us either that we're geniuses (unlikely) or (more likely) what fools we are and point out the blindingly obvious one that we missed (on purpose, of course!)

NOW OPEN: Link HERE.

Over to you!

Mark
    Last edited by Hobbit; December 30th, 2011 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Now running...
    Mark

The New ... MARK LAWRENCE Mark Lawrence's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for that! Nice to see the year laid out with the high points highlighted. A good & comprehensive read.

For me getting reunited with GRRM's characters, both in the re-read prior to ADWD and in ADWD was the highpoint. I'm hoping to read ADWD again next year at a more leisurely pace.

Possibly the best book I read in 2011 (not from 2011) was Engine Summer by John Crowley.

Definitely a fantastic summary of the year, from what I can tell. The only one that I read that isn't listed is Never Knew Another by JM McDermott, which was actually one of my top reads of the year.

This year was a good year for reading for me. I didn't read a lot of books, but what I did read I enjoyed. The big releases all at least lived up to my expectations, and a couple of new authors managed to impress. Sounds like I really need to give Among Others by Jo Walton a try.

Overall, I think that you did a fine job. But I did have a question regarding one line,

Stephen Deasí last book in his Adamantine Palace series, The Order of the Scales, brought things to a violent end.

I haven't read Book 3 yet (as it's not yet published in the U.S.) but I know that Book 4 of the series, The Black Mausoleum, is being published soon (at least in the UK). If the series is continuing then your statement puzzles me? Though perhaps it will make more sense once I've read The Order of Scales?

I also have to respectfully disagree with you here,

In January we had the usual post-Christmas lull.

January 4th, 2011 was when House War: House Name by Michelle West was published. Imho that was among the best books that I've read all year and so I personally can't agree that it was a slow period.

Blog Entries
    Thanks all.

Sounds like I really need to give Among Others by Jo Walton a try.
    I know: me too.
    I know that Book 4 of the series, The Black Mausoleum, is being published soon (at least in the UK). If the series is continuing then your statement puzzles me?
    Perhaps 'conclusion', rather than end, then. Was thinking end of the book, rather than the series. Having said that
    Spoiler:
    the death of a main character, dragons attacking the Adamantine Palace
    is pretty conclusive. Perhaps it will become clearer when you've read the book.

so I personally can't agree that it was a slow period.
    The 'lull' refers to the number of books published, not necessarily the quality.

Traditionally the month post Xmas is a quieter time for book releases, I understand.

Mark
    Last edited by Hobbit; January 1st, 2012 at 04:40 AM.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Perhaps 'conclusion', rather than end, then. Was thinking end of the book, rather than the series. Having said that...is pretty conclusive. Perhaps it will become clearer when you've read the book.
    That could be. About six weeks to go until it's published over here, so not too long. Thanks for the reply.

The 'lull' refers to the number of books published, not necessarily the quality.

Traditionally the month post Xmas is a quieter time for book releases, I understand.

Mark
    Thanks as well for the explanation. Any month in which a good book (imo) is published becomes a good month for me, but obviously that's not a universal definition, especially with so many publications to keep track of overall.

I must say I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Daryl Gregory's Raising Stony Mayhall as a top read this year, let alone a good read. Even though it's based around the zombie theme (which normally puts me off a bit), it's such an entertaining, page-turning story that I had to rate it.

Also surprising as there's been a bit of positive chatter on the forum in the past on his previous two novels, The Devil's Alphabet and Pandemonium.

@Hobbit and Rob - Excellent job as usual.

2011 was without question the best year in fantasy for me personally. Rothfuss's The Wise Man's Fear was even better than I hoped for. Bakker's The White-Luck Warrior was exceptional as well. Joe Abercrombie delivered yet again with The Heroes. Lev Grossman impressed again with The Magician King.

I was disappointed with A Dance with Dragons. While there is no doubt that Martin is one of the most talented writers in fantasy, A Dance with Dragons unfortunately did not save the story for me. I have mentioned before that I felt the story started to unravel in A Feast for Crows and nothing happened in ADWD to change that opinion. It is still possible that the story might again find it's wings in book six, when winter actually does finally come.

HBO's adaptation of Game of Thrones was superb, which did indeed force me to eat crow, no pun intended.

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    thanks for the recap. Like last year, I will print this and highlight the books I've missed on release.
    The only addition I would make is a passing reference to The Whitefire Crossing by Courtney Schafer - a debut that will probably not win any prices, but which I found entertaining, especially in the mountain climbing sections.

I have also had a lot of fun with All Men of Genius by Lev A C Rosen - a steampunk version of Shakespeare meets Oscar Wilde. I don't consider this science-fiction as the technological elements of the story are unrealistic, especially the genetical experiments and the clockwork devices.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Algy: hope its useful.

I don't consider this science-fiction as the technological elements of the story are unrealistic, especially the genetical experiments and the clockwork devices.
    Steampunk is always an odd one. Tradition at SFFWorld (ie: that's what we've always done!) means that we tend to bracket them with the SF, though I totally take the point that some of the 'science' is as much Fantasy as SF!!

Hence Chris Wooding's Retribution Falls/Black Lung Captain/Iron Jackal we put in SF, for example.

Mark
    Mark

Creator of Worlds sullivan_riyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Very well done - and thanks for the "Tip of the Hat" to my Riyria Revelations. I'm glad you found it noteworthy.