Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Goblin Corps by Ari Marmell

Last year Ari Marmell debuted with his The Conqueror's Shadow, which overall was a good/fun read. Though not as good as I expected it to be, I thought it showed some promise. If not for the series, at least for the author who seemed like a competent writer. I've yet to read the sequel though, but planning to.

Anyways, given his writing style when I read the premise of a future novel of his, The Goblin Corps, I really started looking forward to it.

It's coming out by Pyr this Summer, July 26. I thought I would hear more about this release throughout the year, but everything seems quiet in the hype machine.

Any of you heard anything yet or received ARCs or any of you planning on reading?

Product Description
    This is an epic action-fantasy full of adventure, excitement, and drama - and all from the bad guys' points of view! Morthul, the dreaded Charnel King, has failed. Centuries of plotting from the heart of the Iron Keep - all for naught. Foiled at the last by the bumbling efforts of a laughable band of so-called heroes, brainless and over-muscled cretins without sense enough to recognize a hopeless cause when they take it on. But the so-called forces of Light have paid for their meddling with the life of Princess Amalia, the only child of the royal family of Shauntille. Now, as winter deepens, disturbing news has reached the court of Morthul. King Dororam, enraged by the murder of his only child - and accompanied by that same group of delusional upstart 'heroes' is assembling all the Allied Kingdoms, fielding an army unlike any seen before. Still, after uncounted centuries of survival, the Dark Lord isn't about to go down without a fight, particularly in battle against a mere mortal! No, the Charnel King still has a few tricks up his fetid sleeves, but the only thing that can defeat him now may just be the inhuman soldiers on whom he's pinned his last hopes...Welcome to the Goblin Corps, may the best man lose!
    http://www.amazon.com/Goblin-Corps-A...5558984&sr=8-1

Seems like it could be a bit of a unique fun read to me.

I wonder if it takes place in the same world as his other series as it seems to feature the same types of races.

Haven't heard of it, nor have I received an ARC yet...

Patrick

It never entered my mind algernoninc's Avatar
    a goblin POV story and a band of inept heroes ... Where have I heard this before ?

Jim C Hines.

Maybe Marnell will try for the serious , dark and gritty treatment, but until it comes out Goblin Quest is worth checking.

Quote Originally Posted by algernoninc View Post
    a goblin POV story and a band of inept heroes ... Where have I heard this before ?

Jim C Hines.

Maybe Marnell will try for the serious , dark and gritty treatment, but until it comes out Goblin Quest is worth checking.
    The Hines series is one I'm keeping in mind, though it seems like it's of a different nature? Like we have been made to understand that Marmell's are actual bad guys while in the Hines series it seems like goblin character is actually some sort of Hero?

I like it! I don't know if it's the bad guy that we're supposed to not root for or if he has a misunderstood aspect about him.

This book, thematically, would seem to have a fair amount in common with Mary Gente's Grunts and Stan Nicholl's Orcs series.

Just saw a couple of reactions to The Goblin Corps, among them one by Robert Thompson from FBC, and they seem highly positive on this one. My copy is on the way so I'll check it out as soon as I can.

Though I haven't seen a full review yet, here's a bit of Robert's reaction for those interested:

Like The Conqueror's Shadow and The Warlord's Legacy, The Goblin Corps subverts traditional fantasy tropes while mixing David Eddings-like humor with Joe Abercrombie's grittiness. The humor is PG-13, but the rest of the book is R-rated--very graphic and violent, but a blast to read. Here's the conclusion to the review I wrote:

"As much as I enjoyed reading The Conqueror’s Shadow by Ari Marmell, The Warlord’s Legacy left a bad taste in my mouth, and because of that, I almost passed on The Goblin Corps. That would have been a huge mistake. As good as The Conqueror’s Shadow was, The Goblin Corps is better. Better written, funnier, more fulfilling, and twice as entertaining. Basically, The Goblin Corps is must-read material for anyone who is a fan of Joe Abercrombie and likes seeing fantasy tropes viciously subverted. Don’t let the Abercrombie comparisons fool you either. Ari has his own style which he is perfecting, and if he can continue writing books like The Conqueror’s Shadow and The Goblin Corps, then I wouldn’t be surprised if exciting new fantasy authors were one day compared to Ari Marmell..."

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    I'm picking this up, it seems like it has a style that appeals to me. Interesting banter sort of tales to mix up with your more serious epic fantasies.

I forgot this topic was created, I finished the book over the weekend and liked it a lot. Fun, humorous, good action, and engaging storytelling. Here's a bit from the review I'm in the midst of writing:
    Marmell follows an episodic format, with long chapters (12 chapters divided over 575 pages) amounts to almost a collection of novellas. The narrative flow from one chapter to the next is strong enough, and cohesive enough, that The Goblin Corps works as a terrifically fun novel. Marmell’s got a great sense of humor and snark, which he injects throughout the narrative, especially between members of the Demon Squad.

Guardian of sffworld Moderator James Barclay's Avatar
    I'm with Rob, I really enjoyed this book. Great fun, heaps of action and character. It doesn't take itself too seriously and defies you not to be entertained.

The Amazon reviews for this book sound promising. However, I just finished a book called "The Calm Before the STorm" based on positive amazon.com feedback and dear jeebus was I shocked. The story was interesting enough to get by, but the writing was terrible (and I'm not particularly bothered by poor writing).

However, since people on this forum are positive about it, I'll give it a shot. Is it okay to start with this book or should I read his earlier books first?

Lord of the Wild Hunt Mithfânion's Avatar
    That book appears to be self published, or from a very small press. You could have seen that coming with a little research

Quote Originally Posted by StoneBurner View Post
    The Amazon reviews for this book sound promising. However, I just finished a book called "The Calm Before the STorm" based on positive amazon.com feedback and dear jeebus was I shocked. The story was interesting enough to get by, but the writing was terrible (and I'm not particularly bothered by poor writing).

However, since people on this forum are positive about it, I'll give it a shot. Is it okay to start with this book or should I read his earlier books first?
    It's a stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaStaffer View Post
    It's a stand alone.
    And by standalone, you mean not linked to his other works

It's... quite a big book. I think it's twice Shadow's Lure in width, or about the same size as Abraham's The Dragon's Path. 'tis big!

Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    And by standalone, you mean not linked to his other works

It's... quite a big book. I think it's twice Shadow's Lure in width, or about the same size as Abraham's The Dragon's Path. 'tis big!
    Yes, thanks for the clarification!