Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Sprunk View Post
    Indeed it has. Someday I would like to return to Caim's story, either in a what-comes-next series or a prequel. Alas, I'm a wee bit busy starting a new series right now. But it's definitely a future possibility.
    new series aye, what's it about or is it to early to ask?

any chance you could write a Parallel story for Deumas aswell?

Book of the Black Earth
    Blog Entries
    Leth, I've posted some tidbits on my blog (http://jonsprunk.blogspot.com/). It's an epic fantasy (with some s&s sensibilities thrown in) set in a Near Eastern society.

About the Deumas story, it's not that I couldn't write one (or several), but finding a (paying) market isn't easy. Right now I've got a lot of irons in the fire, as they say, but that doesn't mean it won't ever happen. (It would help if short stories paid more than novels....)

ok cool, i'll have to check it out.

It could be worse. ~tmso Moderator N. E. White's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    (A) Do you think Caim is a misogynist jerk?
    No. He doesn't come across as a jerk, at all. I wouldn't read all the blood and gore if I didn't like him as much as I do. I think he's concerned about the women in his life as much as any guy (or gal) would be.

(B) Do you think Josey is a doormat?
    I still haven't read the last book (on my list!), but so far, no. Though she is young and still reeling from the events from both the first and second book (in my head), she's showing strength and intelligence (however seemingly misguided). She's my next favorite character after Caim.

I haven't read Shadow's Master yet (it hasn't come out in Australia but I've caved and ordered it online, hopefully it is at this moment making it's way here) but definitely Team Josey!

Blog Entries
    Okay, so, I finished Shadow's Master and all I have to say is I'm glad it is over!

I'm not saying you should cut back on all the fighting, Jon, but damn, that boy must be tired. He needs a break! And how very nice that he gets one with the gal that he loves. Very sweet ending.

I'm still all over Josey. Is she gonna get her own series?

Quote Originally Posted by tmso View Post
    I'm still all over Josey.
    *Hiss*

As for her own series? I don't know. I don't even know if Jon knows. As was discussed in one of the other topics about the Shadow books, it's been left wide open and there's a few ways it could go, namely Josey and her child (although I would think the child would be the protagonist if that happened).

Book of the Black Earth
    Blog Entries
    No, no plans for an additional series, but I never say never. Loerwyn has an interesting idea. (Son of Caim...) Hmmm...

Regarding Kit/Josey, it was a hard call for me. If he went with Josey, I could work the Han Solo/Princess Leia vein (the scoundrel and the princess). But a future with Kit was, in the end, irresistable to the writer in me. And I think it was the only avenue that offered a promise of real peace for Caim.

*Grumbles*

Daughter of Caim.

Book of the Black Earth
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    *Grumbles*

Daughter of Caim.
    I'm pretending I didn't see this wonderful idea in case I need to "borrow" it someday. *whistles nonchalantly*

Consider it my gift to you, Jon.

Ahem, seriously though (and apologies for the double post). I think it'd be great if it turned out to be Caim's daughter (now known as Caimsdottir for the sake of convenience), because - and this isn't a knock against yourself, Jon - the market is full of *censored*-ing male *censored*-ing assassins. You go to the fantasy section and it's legions of hooded figures and BLOKE THE ASSASSIN or BUFF MAN THE SHADOWY THIEF or whatever.

Why not Caimsdottir? She'd be a refreshing change. I know Ari Marmell has recently done it with Widdershins, though she's a thief more than an assassin, and that seems to have gone down fairly well.

And she could have her own Kit who's more bubbly and cute and-

Um... carried away there. In a funny mood tonight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loerwyn View Post
    Daughter of Caim.
    That's a good idea. I'm stealing it.

I do like Caim. He's a great character, and what makes him so good is that he's got this innate ability to be bad, but he isn't a bad person. (Okay, in the realm of fantasy, particularly, assassin fantasy, he is not a bad person.)

And I think the same struggle in any gender, male/female or anything in between, would make for an interesting character.

Anything in between? Hmm... I know Mark Newton did something like that, but the book in which it happened (The Book of Transformations) was generally considered to be the worst of the three so far. But that would be cool, though... unlikely. But Jon knows I'd give an instant thumbs up to it.

But a butch-ish lady assassin? I'm there. Shadow books crossed with the Sarah Beauhall series? Squee!

Book of the Black Earth
    Blog Entries
    I honestly think it's a great idea. You're right--fantasy in general is male-centric, and a lady assassin with shadow powers is a bit freshed. (If she's an assassin like her old dad at all.)

However, I am fully devoted to another series first. (Sorry, I'm not one of those blokes who can write 6 series at the same time.) But maybe eventually...