Help me find a lost title (steam-powered computer)

I am interested in fnding a SF book I read 10-15 years ago, by a name author. The book's premise was that the computer became commercialized perhaps two centuries earlier, with steam powering it. The location was The Republic of Texas. I loaned it out - never to see it again, and now I want to reread it. Thanks

I know William Gibson and some other guy, wrote a story with that premise, I think it was called "The Difference Engine".

[This message has been edited by fourwalker (edited July 12, 2000).]

Kind of late on this thread, but...

Is *this* the book you were looking for. I have it in my WG collection but haven't read it yet... You can still find them pretty easy in used book stores.

The story reminds me of "A canticle for Leibowitz" by Walter M. Miller(or its follow up) Wasn't there a Republic of Texas?

"some other guy?"
    Bruce Sterling.
    He's got a book floating around the web called "Hacker's Crackdown." A non-fictional tale which, is suprisingly fictional in so far as it's hard to believe. I recommended it as it's really interesting, well written, with good backround, highly informative.
    Having sed that I ain't read Diff Engine yet, which is annoying as I've read most Gibson? Somebody start talking Gibson. He's the main man.